Conflicts of interest and transparency

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ginkgo

Re: Conflicts of interest and transparency

Post by Ginkgo »

bobevenson wrote: Please, leave your fantasy world and join the real one.
LOL.There goes that irony bird again.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:You miss my point entirely. It has not been proven that human industrial activity is responsible for climate change at all, and were it to be proven, it is pointless for any single country to deal with an international issue over which it has no control.
It's a fair point bob but you miss that you say an 'international issue' and such things are exactly due to national governments acting to find common ground and agreement as to actions to address a global issue. As such acting in one's nations interests defeats the idea of an 'international issue' and sends all to the grave. Again as such is also not true as one can negotiate towards a common goal despite differing interests.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Greta wrote:
wtf wrote:I was having this convo about the tax returns with someone. I say I don't care about his tax returns. Why? Well, what is your endgame? He shows his taxes, he's been hiding something terrible. He's forced to resign. Mike Spence becomes president.

I say that's worse.
Shit. I forgot about that. God yes, point conceded ... may The Don last his term :lol:
I just wanted to say for the record that I've changed my opinion. Between the wall and the torture, I am now in favor of removing Trump from office by any legal means possible.

I'm still glad Hillary lost. But I've had enough of Trump. He had a terrible week and he exceeded my worst fears about how he would be as president. I've had enough.

Does that make me a fool for hating Hillary and hoping for the best with Trump?

Maybe. I don't know. I see no point in going to economic war with your neighbor who's also your third largest trading partner. And I am 100% absolutely against torture and will take to the streets to oppose it.

I hope we all make it through this.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Throwing money into unsustainable fossil fuel businesses will increasingly erode the US's trade relationships and possibly attract sanctions. It will only short term work and in the longer term will cost many more jobs when the US falls behind in the highly competitive sustainable energy race. Trump and his fellow fossil fuel investors will get to make the most of their infrastructure, though.

Why do illiberals always think so short term?

Conservatives remind me of executives who sell off an organisation's infrastructure and sack workers. Then they present those inflated quarterly profits to prospective employers to gain their next job, again stripping the guts out of that organisation to make the books look good in the short term, inflating their own bonuses along the way.

This short-termism is how the Liberal Party and the Republicans have always operated. They dislike investing in actual people, seeing their role as funnelling everyone's wealth to major companies and investors in the hope that some of it trickles down. We can see how much has been trickling down:

Greta

Post by Greta »

wtf wrote:
Greta wrote:
wtf wrote:I was having this convo about the tax returns with someone. I say I don't care about his tax returns. Why? Well, what is your endgame? He shows his taxes, he's been hiding something terrible. He's forced to resign. Mike Spence becomes president.

I say that's worse.
Shit. I forgot about that. God yes, point conceded ... may The Don last his term :lol:
... Between the wall and the torture, I am now in favor of removing Trump from office by any legal means possible.
What about Pence?? We are between the proverbial rock and hard place. What would his views on all this be? I presume that you figure that even he would be more moderate.

Is he biding his time, waiting for The Don to implode under the weight of his own hubris?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

wtf wrote:Does that make me a fool for hating Hillary and hoping for the best with Trump?
Pretty much, yes. The shit you are complaining about is just a tiny fraction of Trump's standard stump speech that he repeated every week for months. If you find his behaviour in office shocking, what were you doing during the entire fucking campaign when he said he was going to do all these things and many more?

Hillary would have been a largely normal president. Averagely competent, much more diligent than most. She has shown some poor judgment and is clearly far from perfect - except in comparison to that hopeless oaf you are stuck with now. He has a ginger face and blond hair - best case scenario, his head is on upside down. How could you guys not see there is something desperately wrong with that?