Is the US Constitution politically correct?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

wtf

Re: Is the US Constitution politically correct?

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:If not, should its language be rewritten to become politically correct?

PhilX
Can you say what you mean in this context? What is political correctness? What was it at the time of the writing of the Constitution?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

wtf wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:If not, should its language be rewritten to become politically correct?

PhilX
Can you say what you mean in this context? What is political correctness? What was it at the time of the writing of the Constitution?
I don't think anyone knows what PC is. It's one of those concepts that seem to be fluid, depending on the POV of who you ask. I think it will eventually go out of style as I don't see any legal backbone for it.

PhilX
wtf

Post by wtf »

Just for sake of conversation, I'll point out that in some ways the Constitution is anti-PC. For example the first amendment says
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that the most vile, hateful, despicable expressions of ideas are protected speech. They've upheld flag burning. They've upheld the right of the idiots at the Westboro Baptist Church to express anti-gay slurs at the funerals of servicemen.

In fact it's traditional that the Supremes almost always come down on the side of free expression. I say that's a good thing.

This is in stark contrast to the "no-platforming, "safe space," "microaggression" culture we hear about on the college campuses. Many college students these days are shocked to find out that vile racist speech is Constitutionally protected speech.

To speak out for freedom of speech means to defend the expressive rights of the most awful humans imaginable.

In that sense the Constitution stands directly opposite to the concept of PC.
NewBrain

Post by NewBrain »

To my understanding, political correctness means modifying speech or action so as not to offend anyone.
The constitution is not preoccupied with people's feelings, but rather protecting their "natural rights" and their ability to pursue self-interest under the law.

The two often clash, as the poster above me mentioned with the example of free speech. Other examples are the right to bear arms, which might scare some people, the right to freely assemble, and the right to property.