Does slavery persist in the US?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Does slavery persist in the US?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

In reality does it persist throughout the world such as the UK, Denmark, etc? I'm referring to the prison system.

Just because the Civil War ended in 1865 doesn't mean the American Negroes won absolute freedom. Outside of physical imprisonment, they also face economic imprisonment. While the US is often singled out for this, it's true in the UK and elsewhere.

Can there be absolute freedom? I don't believe so, at least not in the foreseeable future. What do you say?

PhilX
Skip

Re: Does slavery persist in the US?

Post by Skip »

There is a fairly wide range of possibility between slavery and "absolute freedom".
However, there is slavery: the children of religious cults, girls brought in illegally for the underground sex trade, illegal immigrants who are kept as indentured workers in secret sweat shops - mostly by their own relatives! - undocumented immigrants and refugees who work in chicken processing plants and cotton fields and construction for bare subsistence wages in the off-hours, domestic servants imported from Central America, Asia or the Philippines; mail order brides from anywhere.
osgart

Post by osgart »

i made 45k a year and all of it goes to expenses. I didnt get to keep barely anything. For a long time. Is that slavery?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

osgart wrote:i made 45k a year and all of it goes to expenses. I didnt get to keep barely anything. For a long time. Is that slavery?
Sounds like you're a wage slave.

PhilX