Get the Lawyers Off the U.S. Supreme Court!

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Get the Lawyers Off the U.S. Supreme Court!

Post by bobevenson »

You don't need a fucking law degree to interpret the U.S. Constitution!
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Get the Lawyers Off the U.S. Supreme Court!

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Congratulations on your heading. You didn't put 'of' after 'off'.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:You don't need a fucking law degree to interpret the U.S. Constitution!
In fact, you don't need to be a lawyer nor have a degree to be a US Supreme Court justice.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote:You don't need a fucking law degree to interpret the U.S. Constitution!
In fact, you don't need to be a lawyer nor have a degree to be a US Supreme Court justice.
Correct, which leads me to ask the question, who the fuck put them there? The answer, every fucking politician in Washington, D.C. And you think the AEP doesn't have a future?
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:
Correct, which leads me to ask the question, who the fuck put them there? The answer, every fucking politician in Washington, D.C. And you think the AEP doesn't have a future?
How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I only answer spiritual, political and economic questions.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:I only answer spiritual, political and economic questions.
You left out religious.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

bobevenson wrote:I only answer spiritual, political and economic questions.
You left out religious.
That comes under the category of "spiritual."
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Get those actors out of all the Hollywood films. They are just making a complete mess of it!!

And all those professors teaching in University. We need to get street cleaners to teach particle physics, and plumbers to teach fine art.

But worst of all its; those qualified drivers on the road. Cars should only be driven by people with no experience.
prothero

Post by prothero »

I don't know that we need to get "lawyers" off the supreme court but it would be useful to appoint people who had broader experience in politics, the world and business instead of the rather uniform CV of graduation from an ivy league school (especially Havard), and experience limited to or largely consisting of the federal bench. Some of the greatest justices have had previous governmental experience, Warren was governor of California for instance. The Court used to consist almost entirely of older white males but now there are three women, an African American, Catholics, Jews and Protestants so the Court is beginning to better reflect the society it serves but the experience on the court outside professional legal is still quite limited.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

prothero wrote:I don't know that we need to get "lawyers" off the supreme court but it would be useful to appoint people who had broader experience in politics, the world and business instead of the rather uniform CV of graduation from an ivy league school (especially Havard), and experience limited to or largely consisting of the federal bench. Some of the greatest justices have had previous governmental experience, Warren was governor of California for instance. The Court used to consist almost entirely of older white males but now there are three women, an African American, Catholics, Jews and Protestants so the Court is beginning to better reflect the society it serves but the experience on the court outside professional legal is still quite limited.

So fucking what? The court has never been so inept!
prothero

Post by prothero »

Melchior wrote:
prothero wrote:I don't know that we need to get "lawyers" off the supreme court but it would be useful to appoint people who had broader experience in politics, the world and business instead of the rather uniform CV of graduation from an ivy league school (especially Havard), and experience limited to or largely consisting of the federal bench. Some of the greatest justices have had previous governmental experience, Warren was governor of California for instance. The Court used to consist almost entirely of older white males but now there are three women, an African American, Catholics, Jews and Protestants so the Court is beginning to better reflect the society it serves but the experience on the court outside professional legal is still quite limited.

So fucking what? The court has never been so inept!
Do you have an argument or discussion to go with that? example, etc.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

It's lawyers, prosecutors, defense attorneys, attorneys for plaintiffs, and judges that are responsible for every issue working its way up to the Supreme Court. The last thing that's needed is nine more fucking lawyers trying to decide what is and what's not Constitutional!