President Trump

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

President Trump

Post by bobevenson »

Yes, he's psychotic, but maybe he's just a little bit crazy.
thedoc

Re: President Trump

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I think Bill is licking his wounds. I wonder what will happen now, after people realise his rhetoric was all hot-air and bluster, and that he's a cynic who didn't believe a word of it himself. I mean, 'jobs for Americans'? Pleease. How's he going to do that? Stop all cheap Asian imports, which will mean exhorbitant prices for everything? What about that wall? Does anyone actually believe he meant it? :lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Unfathomable.

I'm trying to imagine the good that can come from this, and keep my sense of humor. This situation is a good test for both. :)

I'm reminding myself that things are more likely to change/evolve from upheaval -- even if it's insane and chaotic -- than from pretending that we can force the path of "the bigger flow" with our will. I think major change is inevitable as part of a naturally evolving/growing process -- and we might be on a fast track now! Perhaps the more entrenched we become in our egos and controlling natures, the more violent such shifts will feel. I'm going to try to focus on this situation as being an opportunity to bravely be willing to change everything... as everything is changing.

And... DOING THAT could truly be very enlightening and entertaining!! How many of us plod through the same routines every day without stretching ourselves to think or move beyond what we have known/been? Perhaps we allow the bigger systems to define us and "live for us", to some degree... and when those fail, we can perish (from lack of identity or direction) or we can remake ourselves and be willing to see life in completely new ways.

I choose to keep dancing and laughing. The movie can get as outrageous as it needs to. I think spirit can be stronger. I feel compelled to listen to Genesis' "Dance on a Volcano" now (words that I actually have imprinted on the license plate frame of my car). Do you want to dance with me? :)
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Lacewing wrote: I'm trying to imagine the good that can come from this
A republican just won both the nomination and high office without ever really passing himself off as especially religious.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
A republican just won both the nomination and high office without ever really passing himself off as especially religious.
Ah yes! Interesting! :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I think Bill is licking his wounds. ...
Especially after Ohio went for trump.
I wonder what will happen now, after people realise his rhetoric was all hot-air and bluster, and that he's a cynic who didn't believe a word of it himself. I mean, 'jobs for Americans'? Pleease. How's he going to do that? Stop all cheap Asian imports, which will mean exhorbitant prices for everything? ...
I think he aims to start by putting tariffs on goods made in Asia by American companies thereby trying to force them to come back and make them in America. Will the price go up due to higher labour costs? Maybe and it'll be a fine line to play but Apple, for example, make a mint on their phones by making them at Chinese prices and selling them at American ones so there's a large profit margin to play with.
What about that wall? Does anyone actually believe he meant it? :lol:
Dead serious I think. I reckon he'll lump it in with his infrastructure projects but try and force the Mexicans to pay a chunk. Of course it would bust America - http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2016/03 ... co/126514/ :lol:
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:I choose to keep dancing and laughing.
How can you do that when Hillary is bawling her eyes out?
vegetariantaxidermy

I love this 'make America great again' slogan. Which point in time is it referring to? The slavery time? The segregation time? The McCarthyism time? The KKK lynchings time? The prohibition time? The Vietnam war time? The assassinations time? (oops, that's ongoing)...

Did anyone else notice how unhappy Trump's family looked? I thought his son Barron looked like a nice boy--trying to look interested when he was obviously desperately bored and tired and embarrassed at having to stand in front of all those people.
Greta

Post by Greta »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Although he did throw theists a bone in his speech when he talked of how his parents were "looking down" on him. But how he can know which way is "up", given the Earth's rotation and tilt? Does heaven maintain a tilted rotation around the Earth like a satellite so as to stay above us at all times (presumably so we can look down on loved ones)?

My understanding is that theists tended to vote for Trump in support of his running mate, Mike Pence, who is a champion of the only issues conservative Christians seem to care about - putting women, gays and Muslims back in their place.
vegetariantaxidermy

''Trump once said his supporters were so loyal that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in New York and not lose a single vote. It more or less proved to be true.''

TBH I found Clinton a lot scarier. I think you will see a greatly toned-down and diluted Trump now that he's won.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
TBH I found Clinton a lot scarier. I think you will see a greatly toned-down and diluted Trump now that he's won.
Stranger things have happened but with an ego as massive as Trump's now augmented by one of the most powerful positions in the world, it's almost impossible to visualize a diluted Trump.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

What Trump should do now,

Let Bill and Hillary go to trial and be convicted, then offer a presidential pardon on condition that they, nor anyone in their family, ever run for political office for the rest of their lives.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:What Trump should do now,

Let Bill and Hillary go to trial and be convicted, ...
Of what? And surely they are innocent until convicted or has that gone out the window in America as well.
then offer a presidential pardon on condition that they, nor anyone in their family, ever run for political office for the rest of their lives.
Just Donald's then. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose or Mutantur Quanto magis idem if you don't like the French. :lol:
prothero

Post by prothero »

There are 215 million Americans of voting age. Roughly 100 million Americans voted, less than half the potential electorate. Who did not vote and is not registered: large numbers of the young, Asians, Latinos and even African Americans. Who did vote:, large numbers of older rural white Americans.
In a democracy to some extent one gets the government one deserves. Don't want to bother to vote, to register or be informed on the issues? Protesting after the election is of no use. Optimistically the tide of history is still with the youth and a more global interconnected, multicultural and tolerant world but progress is never easy and never without resistance and temporary setbacks, The arc of history is long but tends towards justice MLK.

Hopefully our institutions and our system of divided government, checks and balances is strong enough to withstand Trumps possible excesses. One can hope for the best: a Republican house, Senate and President, something might actually get done: tax reform, less regulation, smaller federal government more local decision making and control, investment in infrastructure, putting Medicare and Social Security on a sound financial basis for the future. Under Hilary all we were going to get was more gridlock and obstruction. The Republicans are in charge let us wait and see if they can actually govern and if not, we have a chance to vote them out again in two years and a different President in four years. In Truth if all eligible voters had in fact registered and voted there would likely to have been a different result. Voting matters and real long term change only comes through the political process as messy, frustrating and slow as it may be.