"Truth, Justice and the American Way"

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: "Truth, Justice and the American Way"

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Generalization is a recognized philosophical blunder.

PhilX
I don't see why. It's often unavoidable. Are you saying you have never generalised in your life? When you have enough people from the same country/culture behaving in a similar way it creates a stereotype. Where do you think the perception of Americans being loud came from? Don't you think it might be because they ARE loud?? Isn't there a saying that says the exceptions prove the rule?
Btw, the US doesn't rank very highly on the 'freedom index' (or any of the positive indices, but it is number one in obesity). You should write to whoever does those indices and tell them they shouldn't be 'generalising'.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:

PhilX
I don't see why. It's often unavoidable. Are you saying you have never generalised in your life? When you have enough people from the same country behaving in a similar way it creates a stereotype. Where do you think the perception of Americans being loud came from? Don't you think it might be because they ARE loud?? Isn't there a saying that says the exceptions prove the rule?
Not familiar with the loud stereotype.

We have to generalize to get through daily life. But I keep it to a minimum and I adjust where I need to.

In the sales field I've heard plenty of sales advice which I've learned was bs. I adjusted accordingly to become the best in the business. This resulted in one of my favorite sayings which I created, "The more I sell, the less I sell and the less I sell, the more I sell." I'm not going to explain further as I'm keeping a trade secret.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

PhilX
I don't see why. It's often unavoidable. Are you saying you have never generalised in your life? When you have enough people from the same country/culture behaving in a similar way it creates a stereotype. Where do you think the perception of Americans being loud came from? Don't you think it might be because they ARE loud?? Isn't there a saying that says the exceptions prove the rule?
Btw, the US doesn't rank very highly on the 'freedom index' (or any of the positive indices, but it is number one in obesity). You should write to whoever does those indices and tell them they shouldn't be 'generalising'.
I ignore indices, one reason is they're often opinionated, another is important factors and information is left out.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

I rarely post American threads as that's Bob's department.
How come you don't bleat about your dunghole of a country? Too embarrassed?

PhilX
Have I ever said my country is marvellous? Called it 'land of the free'? Described it as 'the greatest'?? Anyone who claims to never generalise is a liar.

PhilX
And you are the worst offender
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

PhilX
I ignore indices, one reason is they're often opinionated, another is important factors and information is left out.

PhilX
You would, since your country doesn't do very well in them. :lol:
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Have I ever said my country is marvellous? Called it 'land of the free'? Described it as 'the greatest'?? Anyone who claims to never generalise is a liar.

PhilX
And you are the worst offender
Yawnnnn, just an opinion.

PhilX