"Truth, Justice and the American Way"

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

"Truth, Justice and the American Way"

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Those are the opening words to every old Superman episode. It gets me to wondering, what is the "American Way?" Before VT gets a chance to bore us with her prejudicial views about the US, let's get an honest assessment on what the US actually stands for.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Re: "Truth, Justice and the American Way"

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

There is no "American Way".
Culture is not a bounded entity. Most of the content of any culture is borrowed, each part from other cultures. America, nor any other culture, has no single thing that can not be found in some other culture, and is comprised of things more usually associated with cultures not American.

If this were not the case, you'd not even have to ask the question; as it should be obvious. As it is there is no "American Way" distinct from the Candadian ,French, German, ..... (etc.) Ways.

Identity is mythical and complex.
osgart

Post by osgart »

if you set people up as a value and not a liability in society since birth you create an entirely different atmosphere where you are not looking at their burden and their cost all the time. Having said that a worker should never be taxed to survive the helpless. That carries the worker into helplessness too. Thus all the shitty attitudes in life.
Eliminating poverty at no tax to any would create a different natured economy. Eliminating poverty would go a long way in getting rid of disease and crime and only as a citizen deserves. The belief that most people deserve and have a right to life is not reflected in our economy value system. Our economy is a dependency system and for most people its a game of dire desperate survival. The only healthy relationship is one made from freedom of choice and the independent right to live for everybody at no cost only gain for all. The right to life should be law. So rid dependency and create a living wage for all. This would give all people freedom to make a better more humane capitalism and not an oppressive grinder. In short give all people economic value and give them survival at no cost. In return they will seek out the best forms of employment and improvement. To make life happen you must give life opportunity. Right now life is owned by the wealthy top 20 percent and everyone else is costed and anvild to survive.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

"Truth, Justice and the American Way" That Americans are the kind of people who would utter such blatant self-aggrandising bullshit. No one else on the planet talks like that. I believe you described it as 'the land of the free' on here only yesterday.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"Truth, Justice and the American Way" That Americans are the kind of people who would utter such blatant self-aggrandising bullshit. No one else on the planet talks like that. I believe you described it as 'the land of the free' on here only yesterday.
I don't accept bullshit from someone who's blatantly anti-American. Unless you can cite a specific source for the person who came up with "... the American way", then all you've accomplished was to flap your lips without saying anything.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"Truth, Justice and the American Way" That Americans are the kind of people who would utter such blatant self-aggrandising bullshit. No one else on the planet talks like that. I believe you described it as 'the land of the free' on here only yesterday.
I don't accept bullshit from someone who's blatantly anti-American. Unless you can cite a specific source for the person who came up with "... the American way", then all you've accomplished was to flap your lips without saying anything.

PhilX
What an idiot. Look who you guys just voted in. As Henry Quirk would say 'nuf said'.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:

PhilX
What an idiot. Look who you guys just voted in. As Henry Quirk would say 'nuf said'.
You're an idiot to group me in with others. And you are patently anti-American.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

PhilX

PhilX
Never said I wasn't. So what? There is a mountain of reasons to be. That's another thing no one from anywhere but the US says, as if it's some sort of crime. Ever hear British people say, 'oh, you are just anti-British'? Plenty of generalisations are justified, and you just keep fitting them. Listen to your political commentators talking about the American public: 'The people have spoken'. 'The people are ANGRY'. 'The people want CHANGE'. 'Blacks didn't support Hillary'. 'Hispanics didn't support Hillary'. Perhaps you should take it up with them to complain about their 'generalising'.
It's hardly my fault that the image you give out to the rest of the world is as arrogant, loud, insular, gun-loving, warmongering idiots.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: What an idiot. Look who you guys just voted in. As Henry Quirk would say 'nuf said'.

PhilX
Never said I wasn't. So what? There is a mountain of reasons to be. That's another thing no one from anywhere but the US says, as if it's some sort of crime. Ever hear British people say, 'oh, you are just anti-British'? Plenty of stereotypes are justified, and you just keep fitting it. Listen to your political commentators talking about the American public: 'The people have spoken'. 'The people are ANGRY'. 'The people want CHANGE'. 'Blacks didn't support Hillary'. 'Hispanics didn't support Hillary'. Perhaps you should take it up with them to complain about their 'generalising'.
Again you're trying to group me with others because I'm American. But no question you're anti-American which colors your perception of my great country so anything you say about American politics can be trashed and disregarded. You're also afraid to say what country you're from which is probably a shithole because me and the others can tear it apart and if you're an example of your country, then I pity your country.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

PhilX
Never said I wasn't. So what? There is a mountain of reasons to be. That's another thing no one from anywhere but the US says, as if it's some sort of crime. Ever hear British people say, 'oh, you are just anti-British'? Plenty of stereotypes are justified, and you just keep fitting it. Listen to your political commentators talking about the American public: 'The people have spoken'. 'The people are ANGRY'. 'The people want CHANGE'. 'Blacks didn't support Hillary'. 'Hispanics didn't support Hillary'. Perhaps you should take it up with them to complain about their 'generalising'.
Again you're trying to group me with others because I'm American. But no question you're anti-American which colors your perception of my great country so anything you say about American politics can be trashed and disregarded. You're also afraid to say what country you're from which is probably a shithole because me and the others can tear it apart and if you're an example of your country, then I pity your country.

PhilX
It's good of you to keep proving my points. :) And ever notice how it's only the Americans on here who bleat on about where they are from, as if the rest of us should be really impressed? Notice all the threads specifically about America and American politics? Who else does that???
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

God
Guns
Coca Cola
McDonalds
The American Dream
The Stars And Stripes
Philosophy Explorer

surreptitious57 wrote:God
Guns
Coca Cola
McDonalds
The American Dream
The Stars And Stripes
While Protestant is predominant, I think Gods would be more accurate.

Burger King had a chance to be #1, but Pillsbury spoiled it. Pepsi Cola went bankrupt three times, but came back.

Have you ever lived in this country (or do you now?)

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Never said I wasn't. So what? There is a mountain of reasons to be. That's another thing no one from anywhere but the US says, as if it's some sort of crime. Ever hear British people say, 'oh, you are just anti-British'? Plenty of stereotypes are justified, and you just keep fitting it. Listen to your political commentators talking about the American public: 'The people have spoken'. 'The people are ANGRY'. 'The people want CHANGE'. 'Blacks didn't support Hillary'. 'Hispanics didn't support Hillary'. Perhaps you should take it up with them to complain about their 'generalising'.

PhilX
It's good of you to keep proving my points. :) And ever notice how it's only the Americans on here who bleat on about where they are from, as if the rest of us should be really impressed? Notice all the threads specifically about America and American politics? Who else does that???
I rarely post American threads as that's Bob's department.
How come you don't bleat about your dunghole of a country? Too embarrassed?

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

PhilX

PhilX
Have I ever said my country is marvellous? Called it 'land of the free'? Described it as 'the greatest'?? Anyone who claims to never generalise is a liar.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It's good of you to keep proving my points. :) And ever notice how it's only the Americans on here who bleat on about where they are from, as if the rest of us should be really impressed? Notice all the threads specifically about America and American politics? Who else does that???

PhilX
Have I ever said my country is marvellous? Called it 'land of the free'? Described it as 'the greatest'?? Anyone who claims to never generalise is a liar.
Generalization is a recognized philosophical blunder.

PhilX