Any Country That Has Mandatory Jury Duty is Despotic

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Any Country That Has Mandatory Jury Duty is Despotic

Post by bobevenson »

No ifs, ands or buts!
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Any Country That Has Mandatory Jury Duty is Despotic

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:No ifs, ands or buts!
:lol: Fool, this is laughable. In the US you can get excused from jury duty. I can't speak for the UK, but in the US, nah.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Every court jurisdiction has its own rules. Yes, you can get off jury duty with a good excuse, but why should you have to offer any excuse? Furthermore, legal decisions should not be made by people off the street, but by professional jurors paid by the government.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:Every court jurisdiction has its own rules. Yes, you can get off jury duty with a good excuse, but why should you have to offer any excuse? Furthermore, legal decisions should not be made by people off the street, but by professional jurors paid by the government.
Some jurors do get paid. But jury duty is looked upon as a civic duty. Do you think that some day, AI will perform the task of jurors?

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

I don't know about the future, but juries should be composed of well-paid professionals, not amateurs, and "civic duty" is just a government ploy to get free labor.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:I don't know about the future, but juries should be composed of well-paid professionals, not amateurs.
Please, I fail to see how paying a juror would help them render a proper decision.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
bobevenson wrote:I don't know about the future, but juries should be composed of well-paid professionals, not amateurs.
Please, I fail to see how paying a juror would help them render a proper decision.

PhilX
Please, you can't get professionals for free, duh!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Please, you can't get professionals for free, duh!
Of course you can, professionals often donate their time and services out of moral and civic duty. At least over here they do.
Philosophy Explorer

bobevenson wrote:

PhilX
Well DUH, you've missed my point entirely.

PhilX
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

bobevenson wrote:

PhilX
How would you go about monitoring the job performance of professional jurors?
What qualification do they need? Will there be a college course for jury professionals?
Is there to be a separate set of jury-accountants who can decide fraud cases that no longer have to be explained to the courts in layman's terms?
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

FlashDangerpants wrote:How would you go about monitoring the job performance of professional jurors?
What qualification do they need? Will there be a college course for jury professionals?
Is there to be a separate set of jury-accountants who can decide fraud cases that no longer have to be explained to the courts in layman's terms?
Why not just model it after professional referee/umpire/etc. crews in sports?
Philosophy Explorer

Is there a need to be professional about it (aside from the money?) Lawyers in challenging potential jurors sometimes seek to exclude knowledgeable jurors, for their own particular reasons.

PhilX
FlashDangerpants

Terrapin Station wrote:
FlashDangerpants wrote:How would you go about monitoring the job performance of professional jurors?
Absolutely. There should be a professional directory too which allows us to inspect who is on our jury and what their credentials are, where they studied, who their friends are and what they get up to on social media (so we can estimate their biases ofc).
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Absolutely. There should be a professional directory too which allows us to inspect who is on our jury and what their credentials are, where they studied, who their friends are and what they get up to on social media (so we can estimate their biases ofc).
Well, you wouldn't want it to be a closed-door affair, sure. It's just like we don't have a closed-door policy with judges, sheriffs, etc.
FlashDangerpants

Juries are a fundamentally dissimilar role to both of those though. Judges are trained at great expense to provide their judgments free of influence and prejudice. Even so they routinely fail in this task, and their failings are grounds for appeal. Crucially, they are limited in their work to describing what the law says about a procedure, not deciding who is guilty or otherwise in most cases.

With juries we select a bunch of people at random and factor in the assumption that this delivers the average level of stupidity, prejudice and incompetence. Our system is tuned to deliver largely acceptable results on the whole if this bears true. If we remove the randomness of the collection, we have lost the point of having juries at all.