~ The Philosophical Fight for the Existence of Liberty in America ~

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ The Philosophical Fight for the Existence of Liberty in America ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

From Wikipedia -

United States of Liberty:

The United States of America was one of the first nations to be founded on principles of freedom and equality, with no king and no hereditary nobility.

According to the 1776 United States Declaration of Independence, all men have a natural right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

But this declaration of liberty was troubled from the outset by the presence of slavery. Slave owners argued that their liberty was paramount, since it involved property, their slaves, and that the slaves themselves had no rights that any White man was obliged to recognize. The Supreme Court, in the Dred Scott decision, upheld this principle. It was not until 1866, following the Civil War, that the US constitution was amended to extend these rights to persons of color, and not until 1920 that these rights were extended to women.

By the later half of the 20th century, liberty was expanded further to prohibit government interference with personal choices. In the United States Supreme Court decision Griswold v. Connecticut, Justice William O. Douglas argued that liberties relating to personal relationships, such as marriage, have a unique primacy of place in the hierarchy of freedoms.

Jacob M. Appel has summarized this principle:
I am grateful that I have rights in the proverbial public square – but, as a practical matter, my most cherished rights are those that I possess in my bedroom and hospital room and death chamber. Most people are far more concerned that they can control their own bodies than they are about petitioning Congress.

In modern America, various competing ideologies have divergent views about how best to promote liberty. Liberals in the original sense of the word see equality as a necessary component of freedom. Progressives stress freedom from business monopoly as essential. Libertarians disagree, and see economic freedom as best. The Tea Party movement sees big government as the enemy of freedom.

.Image

I believe that as President, Donald J Trump will work to truly represent the American view of liberty & freedom.

This is an exciting time to be alive.

...a disruptive, interesting and challenging time.

But a time that will prove to be beneficial for all of mankind.

Last edited by Bill Wiltrack on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gustav Bjornstrand

Re: ~ The Philosophical Fight for the Existence of Liberty in America ~

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

Bill wrote:Perhaps the important thrust of this thread is not what Donald Trump represents, but why this eruption of anti-American sentiment within America is so strong?
To get an answer to that question will, I think, require that you look into the issue and do honest, even 'scientific' research. I don't think you will get enough background from Wikipedia nor do I think your basic analysis --- what you have presented here --- is at all sound. To obtain the understanding that you ask for will require that you become a learner and not a teacher.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I presented a philosophical argument and a thesis then asked the reader for their opinion on two very specific questions.

You responded, but instead of addressing the subject matter of this thread you chose to attempt to attack me.

How very simplistic of you.

XENA3001

Post by XENA3001 »

Bill Wiltrack:
Well said.
XENA3001

Post by XENA3001 »

Bill Wiltrack:
Well said. Trump has ALREADY been a disaster for the Stock Market.
Walker

Post by Walker »

XENA3001 wrote:Bill Wiltrack:
Well said. Trump has ALREADY been a disaster for the Stock Market.
:lol:

Free tip.
Buy low, sell high.
Now’s the time to buy.
To invest, in the true sense of the word.
Because investment does not mean confiscatory taxation.