Only the A.C. Nielsen Company Can Assure an Unrigged Election

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Only the A.C. Nielsen Company Can Assure an Unrigged Election

Post by bobevenson »

Nielsen does it for TV ratings and product brand shares sold through grocery and drugstores, where accuracy is of paramount importance. Are political elections any less important?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Only the A.C. Nielsen Company Can Assure an Unrigged Election

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Those annoying polls should be banned before elections. They end up becoming self-fulfilling prophecies, with people voting for whoever seems to be on the 'winning side'. I've never been asked, and I don't know anyone who's been asked. It's probably just a few people in the office.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Those annoying polls should be banned before elections. They end up becoming self-fulfilling prophecies, with people voting for whoever seems to be on the 'winning side'. I've never been asked, and I don't know anyone who's been asked. It's probably just a few people in the office.
I'm talking about actual elections, not polls.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Some juristictions have turned over management of their prisons to "for profit" insitutions. I guess why not just hand over the whole electoral process to them as well.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Nielsen does it for TV ratings and product brand shares sold through grocery and drugstores, where accuracy is of paramount importance. Are political elections any less important?
They are more important, that why we over here actually count the results and don't have electoral colleges.

Who's rigging your elections?
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Gary Childress wrote:Some juristictions have turned over management of their prisons to "for profit" insitutions. I guess why not just hand over the whole electoral process to them as well.
Gary, I do notice your snotty view of "for-profit" institutions as supposedly compared to "non-profit" institutions like the government, which, of course, have never contributed anything to mankind except war and violence.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:Who's rigging your elections?
It's actually a question of accuracy, and the companies that pay Nielsen millions of dollars would go broke if the data they received had the same accuracy as political elections.
Last edited by bobevenson on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:... they received were on the same level as political elections.[/size][/b]
What are you talking about? Over here companies use our electoral role all the time and the results of our elections are pretty much as accurate as you can get, especially compared to sampling as the results are the largest sample you can count.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Sorry, but modern sampling techniques are far more accurate and far less expensive than a count of the totality.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

How can they be more accurate? They are a sample.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

There are all kinds of problems and irregularities trying to count millions of votes that could be minimized by sampling the entire universe of voters.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote:There are all kinds of problems and irregularities trying to count millions of votes that could be minimized by sampling the entire universe of voters.
Another nonsensical statement since sampling the entire universe is the same as counting all of the voters.

PhilX
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

bobevenson wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:Some juristictions have turned over management of their prisons to "for profit" insitutions. I guess why not just hand over the whole electoral process to them as well.
Gary, I do notice your snotty view of "for-profit" institutions as supposedly compared to "non-profit" institutions like the government, which, of course, have never contributed anything to mankind except war and violence.
"Snotty"? I thought I was being conciliatory. I could have answered worse but chose to be more agreeable. Learn to count your blessings, Bob.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:How can they be more accurate? They are a sample.
Please, people vote twice, dead people vote and there are human errors of all kinds.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Gary Childress wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Gary, I do notice your snotty view of "for-profit" institutions as supposedly compared to "non-profit" institutions like the government, which, of course, has never contributed anything to mankind except war and violence.
Snotty"? I thought I was being conciliatory. I could have answered worse but chose to be more agreeable. Learn to count your blessings, Bob.
Please, you make a snotty comment and then deny it was snotty. I'd have more respect for you if you simply defended your argument.