Government is your most dangerous friend...

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Government is your most dangerous friend...

Post by bobevenson »

...If you consider a prostitute your friend.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Government is your most dangerous friend...

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

We all know you are lonely.
"But what else can ugly people do to get laid?" as Jackie Mason used to ask.
Just don't think that because you pay them that gives you the right to hurt them.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Of course, the biggest government prostitute is your fucking Queen.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Wrong Bob. You are your most dangerous friend (and the only one you shall ever have :lol:).

PhilX
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Prostitues do rule, so maybe there's some sense to this after all (well, aside from the "dangerous" part).
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

If prostitutes rule what are pimps? Apart from scum that is.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Procurers actually provide a much needed service in the world's oldest profession.

Procuring or pandering is the facilitation or provision of a prostitute or sex worker
in the arrangement of a sex act with a customer.

A procurer, colloquially called a pimp (if male) or a madam (if female), is an agent for prostitutes who collects part of their earnings.

The procurer may receive this money in return for advertising services, physical protection, or for providing, and possibly monopolizing, a location where the prostitute may engage clients. Like prostitution, the legality of certain actions of a madam or a pimp vary from one region to the next.

Examples
of procuring include:

• trafficking a prostitute into a country for the purpose of soliciting sex
    operating a prostitution business
    transporting a prostitute to the location of their arrangement
    deriving financial gain from the prostitution of another [/size]

Greta

Post by Greta »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:We all know you are lonely.
A recent study suggests that altruism is the quality that women find most attractive in a man, humour second. Wealth and confidence don't hurt either.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others.

It is a traditional virtue in many cultures and a core aspect of various religious traditions and secular worldviews, though the concept of "others" toward whom concern should be directed can vary among cultures and religions.

Altruism or selflessness is the opposite of selfishness.
The word was coined by the French philosopher Auguste Comte in French, as altruisme, for an antonym of egoism.

He derived it from the Italian altrui, which in turn was derived from Latin alteri, meaning "other people" or "somebody else".

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:
A recent study suggests that altruism is the quality that women find most attractive in a man, humour second. Wealth and confidence don't hurt either.
I find that hard to believe. I would have put humour first.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Greta wrote:
I find that hard to believe. I would have put humour first.
It was in the news fairly recently. Intresting: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/women ... ?r=US&IR=T
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote: It was in the news fairly recently. Intresting: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/women ... ?r=US&IR=T
Hmm. I can see that now. A helpful man is very attractive to women, especially when they are fixing one of those mysterious practical nuisances around the house. Not sure about the 'charity' bit though.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Greta wrote: It was in the news fairly recently. Intresting: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/women ... ?r=US&IR=T
Hmm. I can see that now. A helpful man is very attractive to women, especially when they are fixing one of those mysterious practical nuisances around the house. Not sure about the 'charity' bit though.
I suppose giving to charity is seen by some as a sign of a kindly nature. I find professional handymen to cover the home angle is a lower maintenance approach than having a partner. If I had the slightest interest myself these days a couple gave me the vibe that they'd be happy to expand their brief - but I have found independence and peace as a dull old dog lady who haunts philosophy forums.

I worked for gummint for decades BTW. Aside from the kinds of toxic executives, bullies and idiots one find in any organisation, I found that most of my workmates were competent, meant well and were generally decent human beings. I had the impression that if politicians and their staffers left departments alone to simply govern the portfolio, they would run 100% better. They are consistently distracted, pushed and pulled by political expediencies. It was very frustrating at times.

But it's not just gummint that's a problem, it's large institutions, many of which are now nation-sized. The problem is conflict of interest: big organisations are now the "main game" and individuals are falling ever further down the pecking order.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

That's why I keep most people I meet as acquaintances; a comfortable arms length approach.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote:
"A recent study"? Urrumph!
There's a whole lot missing in what you say here. How did the study define altruism, and what degree of altruism is necessary to overcome what degree of ugliness.

Can you cite?