Unemployment has nothing to do with being out of work.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Unemployment has nothing to do with being out of work.

Post by bobevenson »

If it did, the government could end unemployment immediately by giving all unemployed workers cushy government consulting jobs.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Unemployment has nothing to do with being out of work.

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Meh. You're still losing to Yios and Nick tbh.

This boring shit where we can just accept the premise (the govt. COULD eradicate unemployment through work creation schemes) without in any way having to accept the conclusion (therefore Unemployment has nothing to do with being out of work), is beneath you.

Your work here is C- at best Bob. Please try harder.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Unfortunately, you like most people don't understand unemployment. In AEP theory, unemployment is the relationship between the actual value of production versus the potential value of production in a free market. It can be expressed by the following formula: U(t) = 1 - AVP(t)/PVP(t). For any period of time (t), unemployment (U) equals 1 minus the actual value of production (AVP) divided by the potential value of production (PVP).
FlashDangerpants

So unemployment spikes to almost 100% on Christmas day when almost nobody is at work and therefore everybody is unemployed because productivity is not happening but time still is?

How are you are hoping to calculate the value of PVP in the case of jobless people with no skills who could be (but are not) in training for valuable professions?

In fact forget that. Describe how you would count PVP at all? Do let us know if you think there will be just a few things you cannot account for, or enough of them to make the number a hopeless guess and therefore make unemployment estimates a waste of time?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Ever noticed how everything you buy now is made in China? (unless you want good quality). Hence the rise of bullshit non-professions like 'consultants', PR spin-doctors, PAs, 'life coaches', psychotherapists, recruiting agencies, call centres (although they are all moving to India or the Philippines. No-one can understand a word they say (if they ever get around to answering) so we just have to put up with incorrect bills and incompetent phone, TV, power companies) etc. etc...
In other words, the phony, non-creating bullshit industry that we have the yanks to 'thank' for.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:So unemployment spikes to almost 100% on Christmas day when almost nobody is at work and therefore everybody is unemployed because productivity is not happening but time still is?

How are you are hoping to calculate the value of PVP in the case of jobless people with no skills who could be (but are not) in training for valuable professions?

In fact forget that. Describe how you would count PVP at all? Do let us know if you think there will be just a few things you cannot account for, or enough of them to make the number a hopeless guess and therefore make unemployment estimates a waste of time?
Jesus Christ, you are one dumb motherfucker. I'm talking about a normal period of analysis such as a year, and you want to talk about a micro-second. Stay away from economics, my friend.
FlashDangerpants

Your formula works on time. Therefore it works all the time. Unemployment reaches near 100% at 3 am.
People work roughly 40 hours per week. There are 168 hours in a week.... so according to your formula we are all unemployed 128 hours per week even when we work full time.

Now tell us how you calculate PVP so I can shit in your cornflakes some more.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:Your formula works on time. Therefore it works all the time. Unemployment reaches near 100% at 3 am.
People work roughly 40 hours per week. There are 168 hours in a week.... so according to your formula we are all unemployed 128 hours per week even when we work full time.

How many times do I have to tell you that you know less than zero about economics???
FlashDangerpants

bobevenson wrote:
FlashDangerpants wrote:Your formula works on time. Therefore it works all the time. Unemployment reaches near 100% at 3 am.

How many times do I have to tell you that you know less than zero about economics???
How do you calculate PVP?
FlashDangerpants

I'll give you a helping hand if you like.
The thing you are calling unemployment is usually known as Industrial Capacity Utilization.

Although your attempt to use it to describe human capital utilization is unique to the best of my knowledge.
Which is why I am betting that your PVP calculation is going to be so astronomically useless.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
bobevenson wrote:

How do you calculate PVP?
PVP is a concept that must be estimated. For instance, most of the work of government bureaucrats is equivalent to being out of work and not counted as AVP. You start with the theoretical concept of PVP, the total value of production in a free market unencumbered by negative government economic policies. AVP is the true value of production. You see, it doesn't have anything to do with being out of work at all, but everything to do with the value of production, adjusted, of course, for the criminal activity of government monetary inflation.
FlashDangerpants

So PVP is the total of work that could be done if if.... lots of uncountable things were to happen.

Everybody who does a low end job but could have a more productive career is partially unemployed by your method, but you don't know what the possibilities of that productive career might be because you cannot measure their theoretical talent. So you have to make up your numbers without any basis.

I notice that you have started using the term I gave you (monetary inflation). Does that mean you have dropped the foolishness about prices being unrelated to inflation?

At the end of this conversation, will you have learned the difference between capacity and employment?

I am teaching you more about economics than God ever did.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

bobevenson wrote:Unfortunately, you like most people
He doesn't seem to like you very much.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:I'll give you a helping hand if you like.
The thing you are calling unemployment is usually known as Industrial Capacity Utilization.

Although your attempt to use it to describe human capital utilization is unique to the best of my knowledge.
Which is why I am betting that your PVP calculation is going to be so astronomically useless.
Stay away from economics, fool.
FlashDangerpants

bobevenson wrote: Stay away from economics, fool.
Awww, Bob got no idea how to count his PVP?

Bob going to have a little sulk?

Is Bob giving up on page one this time?