Noam Chomsky and Our Collective Responsibility

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Noam Chomsky and Our Collective Responsibility

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dalek Prime wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:And for the record, Melchior is, generally, a fuckwit.
Well, I did ask Melchior a question, and you answered, so I put two and two together. And because Americans have ruined the word liberal I avoid using it, since the morons can't work out what it means. That's why no one will define it.
Everyone here has a horrible habit of answering questions directed at another, and I share in that. As do you, when answering for Gary.

And yes, Americans have destroyed the word (says the Canadian to the Brit).
Why do people assume I'm a 'Brit'? I love Canadians btw, so much more refined and palatable than your obnoxious neighbours.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Thank you. I thought I read somewhere you were British. Either way, know that I'm quite fond of Britain anyways, and mean no harm in the assumption.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dalek Prime wrote:Gary, stop acting so god damn superior. Obviously you do not normally read what I write about, or you'd know exactly how I feel about the life system, suffering, and how to solve them.

Are you a parent Gary? You know how shit life is, yet for no reason but your own, you created someone else to wade through the shit, when it needn't have been. If you're not a parent, then ignore that.
I haven't read many of your posts, except ones that come up in discussions I've been involved with. You seem like a reasonable person to me. I am not a parent. I just think a lot of the animosity toward Chomsky's political writings that many people have is often misplaced. However, Melchior is obviously much smarter than I am, perhaps he can explain better the problem with Chomsky's writings. However, he seldom seems to share his insights in very much depth. So I'm sort of left to guess on things.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Fair enough Gary.

The roots of Melchior's deep biases are unknown to me, and unless he starts explaining them, its best to either ignore him, or wittily riposte.

Bonus points to you for not creating a consciousness to suffer.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dalek Prime wrote:Bonus points to you for not creating a consciousness to suffer.
Surely there's nothing wrong with being a parent and creating another conscious being who will live through both the joys and sorrows of this world? Life is not all bad, is it? Perhaps that new conscious being will go on to be a wonderful writer or thinker or find a good mate. Who knows? The world is full of possibility, especially for the young. Maybe it's best to wait and see how things play out lest we prematurely conclude that everything is for the worse. :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Gary Childress wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Bonus points to you for not creating a consciousness to suffer.
Surely there's nothing wrong with being a parent and creating another conscious being who will live through both the joys and sorrows of this world? Life is not all bad, is it? Perhaps that new conscious being will go on to be a wonderful writer or thinker or find a good mate. Who knows? The world is full of possibility, especially for the young. Maybe it's best to wait and see how things play out lest we prematurely conclude that everything is for the worse. :)
I'm not going to explain antinatalism again. I've been here for over a year, and I leave it up to anyone to peruse my posts. Let's leave it at that, as you have clearly no knowledge of the subject. Fair enough Gary?

PS. Second coincidental post of the day. If I didn't know better, I'd swear your 666th post was the devil's, or God's, way of annoying the crap out of me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:
I'm not going to explain antinatalism again. I've been here for over a year, and I leave it up to anyone to peruse my posts. Let's leave it at that, as you have clearly no knowledge of the subject. Fair enough Gary?

PS. Second coincidental post of the day. If I didn't know better, I'd swear your 666th post was the devil's, or God's, way of annoying the crap out of me.
I've heard arguments before against having children, especially from Arthur Schopenhauer and as far as I'm concerned my points above still stand. I had thought perhaps you were a parent who was feeling some guilt over the matter of having a child and wished to cheer you up. If you are not a parent then I suppose you can just disregard.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Gary, stop acting so god damn superior. Obviously you do not normally read what I write about, or you'd know exactly how I feel about the life system, suffering, and how to solve them.

Are you a parent Gary? You know how shit life is, yet for no reason but your own, you created someone else to wade through the shit, when it needn't have been. If you're not a parent, then ignore that.
I haven't read many of your posts, except ones that come up in discussions I've been involved with. You seem like a reasonable person to me. I am not a parent. I just think a lot of the animosity toward Chomsky's political writings that many people have is often misplaced. However, Melchior is obviously much smarter than I am, perhaps he can explain better the problem with Chomsky's writings. However, he seldom seems to share his insights in very much depth. So I'm sort of left to guess on things.
If you have to ask...well that's an indictment right there!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:

If you have to ask...well that's an indictment right there!
An indictment of what? :?:

EDIT: Are you somehow incapable of articulating your beliefs?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Gary Childress wrote: I've heard arguments before against having children, especially from Arthur Schopenhauer and as far as I'm concerned my points above still stand. I had thought perhaps you were a parent who was feeling some guilt over the matter of having a child and wished to cheer you up. If you are not a parent then I suppose you can just disregard.
I consider parents to be the worst of the worst. I am not. And your 'arguments' are not arguments at all, but rationalisations. If you really want to get into this further I will. But every other son of a bitch will interrupt this dialogue, guaranteed, and we will lose the benefits of it because of that. Schopenhauer is old hat to me, btw, and antinatalism has gone beyond him.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Gary Childress wrote: I've heard arguments before against having children, especially from Arthur Schopenhauer and as far as I'm concerned my points above still stand. I had thought perhaps you were a parent who was feeling some guilt over the matter of having a child and wished to cheer you up. If you are not a parent then I suppose you can just disregard.
I consider parents to be the worst of the worst. I am not. And your 'arguments' are not arguments at all, but rationalisations. If you really want to get into this further I will. But every other son of a bitch will interrupt this dialogue, guaranteed, and we will lose the benefits of it because of that. Schopenhauer is old hat to me, btw, and antimatalism has gone beyond him.
Are all parents the "worst of the worst"? It seems to me that you are characterizing everything in very broad strokes. Like I say, there is the good and the bad. While I agree that death is a very ominous prospect to psychologically overcome in life, perhaps Epicurus may have said it best, when we are alive, death is not present and when death is present, we are not alive to suffer it (paraphrased of course).
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon May 16, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Gary Childress wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
I consider parents to be the worst of the worst. I am not. And your 'arguments' are not arguments at all, but rationalisations. If you really want to get into this further I will. But every other son of a bitch will interrupt this dialogue, guaranteed, and we will lose the benefits of it because of that. Schopenhauer is old hat to me, btw, and antimatalism has gone beyond him.
Are all parents the "worst of the worst"? It seems to me that you are characterizing everything in very broad strokes. Like I say, there is the good and the bad. While I agree that death is a very ominous prospect to psychologically overcome in life, perhaps Epicurus may have said it best, when we are alive, death is not present and when death is present we are not alive to suffer it (paraphrased of course).
It strikes you as broad strokes only because I haven't begun discussing it. And I've given my reasons why I won't here. Either accept that, or PM me for a real discussion. I'm not going to do it with interuptions.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Gary Childress wrote:
Melchior wrote: If you have to ask...well that's an indictment right there!

Don't you know anything about how and why the United States came to be? Apparently not!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Melchior wrote:
Gary Childress wrote:
Melchior wrote: If you have to ask...well that's an indictment right there!

Don't you know anything about how and why the United States came to be? Apparently not!
I'm familiar with some of our nation's history. Again, your statement above is pretty cryptic. And I'm not sure how it bears relation to your apparent distaste for Noam Chomsky's political writings. Maybe if you articulated your beliefs such that they are comprehensible by those who can't mind read it might help. Really that's all I ask, Melchior. I'm perfectly open to new ideas or new knowledge if it exists and I'll admit my errors. But you have to be the one to make your points and back them up with evidence or good reasons. That's the way good philosophers operate. You're smart. Surely you can do that?