~ Politics in the Third Industrial Revolution ~

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~ Politics in the Third Industrial Revolution ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Open politics as a distinct philosophy -

The open-politics theory, a narrow application of open-source governance, combines aspects of the free software and open content movements, promoting decision-making methods claimed to be more open, less antagonistic, and more capable of determining what is in the public interest with respect to public policy issues.

It takes special care for instance to deal with equity differences, geographic constraints, defamation versus free political speech, accountability to persons affected by decisions, and the actual standing law and institutions of a jurisdiction.

There is also far more focus on compiling actual positions taken by real entities than developing theoretical "best" answers or "solutions". One example, DiscourseDB, simply lists articles pro and con a given position without organizing their argument or evidence in any way.

While some interpret it as an example of "open-source politics", open politics is not a top–down theory but a set of best practices from citizen journalism, participatory democracy and deliberative democracy, informed by e-democracy and netroots experiments, applying argumentation framework for issue-based argument as they evolved in academic and military use through the 1980s to present. Some variants of it draw on the theory of scientific method and market methods, including prediction markets and anticipatory democracy.

Its advocates often engage in legal lobbying and advocacy to directly change laws in the way of the broader application of the technology, e.g. opposing political libel cases in Canada, fighting libel chill generally, and calling for clarification of privacy and human rights law especially as they relate to citizen journalism. They are less focused on tools although the semantic mediawiki and tikiwiki platforms seem to be generally favored above all others.

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: ~ Politics in the Third Industrial Revolution ~

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Toooo long. Not original. Not philosophy. Plagiarism. You have 195 views yet no responses. Why do you think that is? I'm here to help. Keep trying. You will get there eventually.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: ~ Politics in the Third Industrial Revolution ~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Looking back to this post, it's been almost a year, a few things pop-out at me.

First, the thread itself is REALLY BORING. I don't think it was me that wrote this. Not my writing.

The title itself is rather intriguing. Perhaps that is why I received so many hits.

Second, it is not very philosophical at all.

Third, it's not a focused writing. Just blah.

I do enjoy seeing this post for I see how much I have matured as a writer over this snippit from the past. Never would I post this thread now.

...Don't think it was overly long IF I would have been developing a FOCUSED, ENGAGING, PHILOSOPHICAL thread.

Thank you for your critique. I enjoy seeing one of my mentees following a format that I have recently presented to The Forum.