Can you think of anything good about islam ?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Can you think of anything good about islam ?

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 am It's colour-blind.
yep
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Depends on the Muslims on how color/ethnic/national blind it is. Don't be too shocked if you convert and head out on the Hadj as a white person if you are denied entry, they shove suspect Muslims in Saudi Arabia into special hotels, and you can be left for a long time till they are convinced. Whatever you do, don't be Persian as well, you are better off on going on the Hadj to holy sites in Iraq than Saudi Arabia, they get screwed with a lot.

It is as open to differences in race as Buddhism, Christianity, the Baha'i, Hinduism, and so on and on are to foreign converts. The Zoroastrian in India are not, exact opposite, but I've never heard of one trying to kill or kidnap someone vacationing for being the wrong skin color or nationality.

Islam, as I defended earlier has some good spots in it, but it is important to note the flaws as well. It isn't stellar in the foreign conversion department.

A example, say you are a non-Muslim woman who converts, but your husband doesn't convert. They will do everything they can to derail that marriage, but not for a Muslim man with a wife who is refusing but still one of the so called people of the book. The inequities are absurd at times. Why Muhammad was killed by a old Jewish woman in my opinion, he wasn't exactly a bastion of tolerance in his lifetime, she had some personal time to reflect on this.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:18 pm Yes, at least it's not Catholicism.
:lol: You really should come back.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

I've been waiting for him, we met before. :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 am I've been waiting for him, we met before. :lol:
Perhaps you were the reason he left?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 pm... in the Islamic countries I have visited. I was constantly being offered a hookah (shisha).
So you were offered a hooka who was someone else's shishta?

Then the good thing about Ishlam ish that they shpeak English albeit with a lishp and with bad pronunciation.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

falafel sandwiches
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

duszek wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:08 pm Only serious suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
I've read some of the Koran and know its theology so not ignorant of it. It is idententical to Judaism - and Koran = Torah theologically.

not a fan BTW.

---------

but to your question there is one thing good about Islam.

its not Racist. ANYONE can convert - from Black to White and he/she will be accepted a a "True Muslim" by all other Muslims.

that is the one good thing about Islam.

can't think of anything else offhand.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 am Depends on the Muslims on how color/ethnic/national blind it is. Don't be too shocked if you convert and head out on the Hadj as a white person if you are denied entry, they shove suspect Muslims in Saudi Arabia into special hotels, and you can be left for a long time till they are convinced. Whatever you do, don't be Persian as well, you are better off on going on the Hadj to holy sites in Iraq than Saudi Arabia, they get screwed with a lot.

It is as open to differences in race as Buddhism, Christianity, the Baha'i, Hinduism, and so on and on are to foreign converts. The Zoroastrian in India are not, exact opposite, but I've never heard of one trying to kill or kidnap someone vacationing for being the wrong skin color or nationality.

Islam, as I defended earlier has some good spots in it, but it is important to note the flaws as well. It isn't stellar in the foreign conversion department.

A example, say you are a non-Muslim woman who converts, but your husband doesn't convert. They will do everything they can to derail that marriage, but not for a Muslim man with a wife who is refusing but still one of the so called people of the book. The inequities are absurd at times. Why Muhammad was killed by a old Jewish woman in my opinion, he wasn't exactly a bastion of tolerance in his lifetime, she had some personal time to reflect on this.
if what you say is true, i'm shocked. truly.

that is not the Muslim way!

there is no racism in Islam (or there is not suppose to be - lol).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 am Whatever you do, don't be Persian as well, you are better off on going on the Hadj to holy sites in Iraq than Saudi Arabia, they get screwed with a lot.
thats becuase the Wahhabists (Saudis) are Sunni and Persians are "12vers" (disparaging term Sunnis use toward Shia) - which 90 percent of Persians are.

Dates back to the time Ali was killed and Sunni affirmed the concept of elected Head of Church (Caliphate by election) - whereas Shia butthurt over Ali's (Muhammed's nephew?)being killed continue to demand only decendants of Muhammad can be the Head of Church (Caliphate).

Sunni also have no problem eating seafood, whereas Shia view seafood as pork and do not eat.

------------this is all about the hate between Sunni and Shia - the hardcore of both deny that the other are "True" Muslims (the old True Scottman argument - same as that that still goes on between fanatical Catholics and Protestants.

- which is what? 20-percent of all above?

the other 80 percent of Christians and Muslims affirm the other from the "wrong sect" - are "lost" but still valid (enough) Christians/Muslims to be "Saved".
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BigWhit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 am Nothing good ever came out of believing absurdities without evidence. There's no good to any religion. The difference between Islam and Christianity as they are practiced today is that Christianity has been (largely) tamed by the secularism that has arisen from the enlightenment in the last 400 years. If you compare the Christianity of 400-500 years ago with the Islam of today there is literally no difference between them.
exactly!............since Islam ain't going away, we can only hope that "western society" will have the same influence upon Islam. BTW I work with several Muslims (one from Lybia - not exactly an advanced nation - lol), several from Iran (which is populated by many "Western minded" folks - though you would not it from it government and our media). These men are reasonable, likable, and moderate guys. Good Americans in my book.

I call them "Cafeteria Muslims".

Securlarism DOES WORK to produce moderate and reasonable Christians and Muslims. one just has to have the LONG view and not get your panties in a bunch and play chicken little over the "muslim hoards" mentality (the 1950's Bircher mindset)..................it will take time and a few more car bombs..................and death of innocents.............but in another century Muslims will be as tame as Christians are today.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:21 am
It helps the poor and needy.

It does not practice usury.

I'd forgotten about the above two - thanks for reminding me