All Hail Free Market Capitalism!

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Science Fan

Re: All Hail Free Market Capitalism!

Post by Science Fan »

The problem is your post thread is overly simplistic, and is inconsistent with even your own understanding of capitalism.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

ALL of my posts are simplistic. It's the medium that we are in.

I guess you are new here. I had a battle FOR YEARS about my simplistic posts and my use of all of the tools given to us in the users toolbox available to all of us immediately above our posting box. I have been banned here many times for my use of images and my ignorance of what most people consider to be explicit. It was a great fight. Gotta say I won yet I know I exist here purely at the graciousness and loyalty of the great Moderators and the Owner of this forum Rick Lewis.

You have a good heart & it is only correct and natural response from you to attempt to attack me & my views. Wish you could have been around for the fight.

*You must paint with a broad brush here...To be boring IS THE WORST OFFENSE anyone could commit here. Happy posting!

Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I'm not just being critical of you. I see a great many people, not just on this forum, but on social media generally, and in political debates throughout the globe, ignoring a great deal of economics when it comes to political debate. Like I stated, I've studied economics for years, and that includes economic history, as well as econometric modeling, as well as economic philosophy. From what I can tell, economics cuts through all ideologies, sometimes economics supports a specific ideological viewpoint, only to stand against that same ideology when another economic question arises. I'm just disappointed whenever I see someone over-simplifying economics in a political debate.

You are something of a puzzle, as, on the one hand, you present an overly simplistic view, only to turn around, on the other hand, and present a much more nuanced and accurate view.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You clearly understand that something is happening. You mentioned the change in some people here at PhilosophyNow Forums and in social media in general.

I don't doubt that you have studied economics & philosophy extensively. But over the last year the emerging digital economics have out-performed ALL other conventional investments here, AND there investment managers, not by 10%. Not by 100%. But by 1,000%. Things have changed. The world of economics is quickly changing in this digital age that we are all entering.

And to be honest, if you have studied anything economically related you should already be aware that the game is rigged. Rigged against YOU.

Check with your intuition. Listen.

Don't be disappointed when you hear someone oversimplifying economics in a political debate. Listen.

OVERSIMPLIFICATION is part of the territory. It comes with focus & an ability to convey thoughts quickly & clearly.

I wish I could place my hands upon your shoulders and comfort you, along with most of the rest of the PhilosophyNow Forum members. But other more disruptive members will come along & ruin the moment. We have to live with that in our environment here...

I wish you good fortune in all of your future battles.

Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I know what you are stating about forum members here. The first time I showed up here, two members started personally insulting me, and they have not stopped since then.

I try hard to focus on the substance of what a person writes, and not attack them personally, although I do admit I sometimes fail in this goal. However, I don't think I've ever initially come out of the shoot with a personal insult before giving someone's argument a fair hearing.

That being said, there are certainly some smart people here and I learn from what they write. Some others, however, seem rather disruptive and juvenile.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen you write anything that should cause you to be banned. You do offer substantive arguments for your position, and what else can someone ask for on a philosophy forum?

It's not as if everyone is going to agree with everyone else on every topic under discussion.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You're right. It is a foregone conclusion that none of us will completely agree with even one other member here. That is the nature of the intellect.

We must be civil to one another.

Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

In the first two days I was here, I was repeatedly personally attacked by two users, who, to this day, continue to do so. I was surprised that such conduct was allowed on a philosophy forum. It wasn't even that they were personally attacking me in addition to addressing the substance of my argument, they were solely fixated on me and wrote one personal insult after another. I tried blocking them, but that has limited value on this forum, as they can still see my posts and write insults, so that's basically a worthless option. Finally, I decided to insult them back.

That doesn't promote any philosophical discussion, but if the owners of this site will allow people to constantly personally insult me, then they should not be surprised that I eventually started insulting those people in return.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:23 pm In the first two days I was here, I was repeatedly personally attacked by two users,
That's not acceptable behaviour, just because you're a dick head does not mean you should have to put up with that sort of thing.
It wasn't even that they were personally attacking me in addition to addressing the substance of my argument,
Your arguments never have any substance so it would be very difficult to attack it.
Finally, I decided to insult them back.
And you weren't much good at that either, were you?
but if the owners of this site will allow people to constantly personally insult me, then they should not be surprised that I eventually started insulting those people in return.
If you find this to be such a big problem then I can't help but wonder why you've chosen the least restrictive philosophy site on the internet to post on.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

See? There's the ignorant troll named Harbal right now, confirming my point.

How does an ignorant fuck like him get allowed to make nothing but personal insults to others who are trying to have a rational argument?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Science Fan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 pm See? There's the ignorant troll named Harbal right now,
He's not ignorant, he knows exactly what he's doing.
confirming my point.
You seem to have an uncanny knack of being able to see confirmation of your points everywhere you look.
How does an ignorant fuck like him....
You're forgetting I'm also a punk, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I become an ignorant fucking punk before too long.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm Your knowledge of economics is less than that of an average third-grader. For one thing, you don't even know what capitalism is. Capitalism is not a system of free-markets. It is a system of free-markets along with a set of laws, regulations, government institutions, etc., that give it a structure. There are no such things as free-markets operating independently of government. This is why capitalism can take a wide-variety of forms and is consistent with a so-called mixed economy, like we see in the USA as well as in the Nordic states.

Capitalism has always been based on moral limits to markets. You don't even have a proper understanding of what capitalism even is.
Please, gentlemen. Let's not insult each other, but be productive, zest is bigger than the urge to become the top alpha male, isn't it?

What capitalism is and is not is, I believe, a matter of definition. What you, Science Fan here puts forward is basically the view Popper advocates in his criticism of Marx in "The open society...". I do agree, and I can say that the country I have grown up in, a kind of Social liberal construction was really successful for a very long time. Granted, we managed to keep out of the WW's but still, as long as the government and the capital worked together, things were successful. In terms of profits for companies as well as welfare for people. Things have become more messy now, since capital has grown global, to regulate that is something that needs to be done.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm Capitalism is not a system of free-markets. It is a system of free-markets along with a set of laws, regulations, government institutions, etc., that give it a structure. There are no such things as free-markets operating independently of government. Capitalism has always been based on moral limits to markets. You don't even have a proper understanding of what capitalism even is.
Sorry, my friend, it is you who lacks a proper understanding of capitalism and free markets. For instance, it is government itself that institutes minimum wage, tariffs, and other impediments to a free market. Enough said.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 pm
Science Fan wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm Capitalism is not a system of free-markets. It is a system of free-markets along with a set of laws, regulations, government institutions, etc., that give it a structure. There are no such things as free-markets operating independently of government. Capitalism has always been based on moral limits to markets. You don't even have a proper understanding of what capitalism even is.
Sorry, my friend, it is you who lacks a proper understanding of capitalism and free markets. For instance, it is government itself that institutes minimum wage, tariffs, and other impediments to a free market. Enough said.
Capitalism from my online dictionary:

"an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state."

"...controlled by private owners..." So capitalism isn't free and has never been free nor about having a free market. To help promote the general welfare as listed in the Constitution, the government must have minimum wage (which helps to promote a free market while making it fairer).

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Please, no online cuckoo dictionaries allowed in this discussion.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

bobevenson wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:16 pm Please, no online cuckoo dictionaries allowed in this discussion.
That means your cuckoo dictionary is disallowed while mine is used.

PhilX