Are poll results relevant to the political process?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Are poll results relevant to the political process?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't believe they are.

PhilX
Arising_uk

Re: Are poll results relevant to the political process?

Post by Arising_uk »

Why?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Because the ruling classes couldn't care less about what the working and lower middle class people, most often the majority, thinks. Maybe in Switzerland they care a little, but probably not.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I was asking PhilX why.

The political class appear to value polls, not sure if they are these ruling classes you talk about.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:Why?
The only thing that really matters to the public is who gets elected to the position the candidate is running for. A poll wouldn't serve that purpose. The only ones it really matters to are the candidates themselves and they have their own private polling sources to turn to.

Let me add, and there is indirect evidence which I'm personally familiar with, that many people don't make up their minds until the election day on who to vote for which is one of the reasons why poll results frequently change.

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

Polls are extremely valuable in determining which puppet to put up for auction in each campaign, and which issue-buttons to push in his speeches.
Last edited by Skip on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
The only thing that really matters to the public is who gets elected to the position the candidate is running for. A poll wouldn't serve that purpose. ...
Er! They aren't meant to?
The only ones it really matters to are the candidates themselves and they have their own private polling sources to turn to.
Er!? That'll be polls then.
Let me add, and there is indirect evidence which I'm personally familiar with, that many people don't make up their minds until the election day on who to vote for which is one of the reasons why poll results frequently change. ...
But by and large the polls are pretty good at predicting results. Are you sure you don't mean 'focus groups'?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
The only thing that really matters to the public is who gets elected to the position the candidate is running for. A poll wouldn't serve that purpose. ...
Er! They aren't meant to?
The only ones it really matters to are the candidates themselves and they have their own private polling sources to turn to.
Er!? That'll be polls then.
Let me add, and there is indirect evidence which I'm personally familiar with, that many people don't make up their minds until the election day on who to vote for which is one of the reasons why poll results frequently change. ...
But by and large the polls are pretty good at predicting results. Are you sure you don't mean 'focus groups'?
I don't know what you mean precisely by "predicting results." Focus groups are normally used for marketing purposes - here's a definition:

"A marketing research technique for qualitative data that involves a small group of people (6-10) that share a common set characteristics (demographics, attitudes, etc.) and participate in a discussion of predetermined topics led by a moderator."

Very far from what I mean. Currently, in my country, polls show Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are leading their parties by wide margins. What happens between now and when it comes time to selecting a Democratic and Republican candidate is anybody's guess. My contention is the polls don't reflect what the public really thinks about the candidates and what purpose do they really serve? If they're really a basis for electing politicians, then why bother to have campaigning and running political ads? Use the polls to elect the politicians (just kidding of course). I think on the whole, polls are a waste of time for who's going to win an election (but they may be useful in other ways).

PhilX
Skip

Post by Skip »

The polls are not meant to select candidates; they are meant to sample public opinion.
Depending on what the polls say, a candidate may change his stated policies, or emphasize a particular issue in one state, down-play it in another state. Political campaigns are daily tuned and adjusted to what people want to hear. This has little effect on what will actually be done by the successful candidate once he or she has taken office - the candidates don't actually know what they will be able to do if elected.

It's all about marketing - not product design or testing.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nice to see some Americans can understand what I say. :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

Not American. North American, but not USian.