Hydrogen

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Re: Hydrogen

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

............................................................................................................................................
Really?

...................................................................................

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Yeah! Dead seriously.

It'd just not occurred to me before.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

............................................................................................................................................
Really?

...................................................................................

Go on Bill, explain to the uninitiated how this constitutes philosophy.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas that, given long enough, begins to think about itself.

If this concept does not, philosophically, stir you, I don't know what to say. I can't help you.

There is nothing to say.

I regret, for you, that you find yourself upon a philosophy forum and you are unable to relate to the material.

Again, I am sorry for you but I appreciate your effort & your input thus far...

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

So repeating stuff makes something truer in 'real' philosophy does it?

On the first page of this thread I pointed out to you, philosophically that is, that the first things produced were protons and neutrons, as such your idea is out of date. You've yet to reply?

Still, tell us, what is it about this idea that philosophically stirs you? What I mean is, what do you mean by being 'philosophically stirred'?

As someone else said, is it that you go 'Wow!'? Or are amazed? As you appear to do a lot of that.

What has this idea stirred you to do? Philosophically that is.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I don't know if you were able to do it but if you left-click on the word Hydrogen when I used it in the original post you can see the wiki definition.

That's important.

To be short, Hydrogen is the oldest and most abundant element known.

Millions of light years later YOU are here. YOU are reading this. YOU can be self-reflective.

YOU & EVERYTHING you see or know is just a crossroad of the complexities that have evolved from our most basic element known - Hydrogen.

You guys really philosophers?

Really?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Yup! And as such know that the Elements aren't so elemental anymore.

Although in the main we think science not the place to search for philosophy as we're not talking to those metaphysical splitters.

We especially think, at least those of us who think Logic the last bastion of Philosophy and Phenomenology a possible useful future, that metaphysics, especially the kind of stoner reductionist metaphysical thoughts you're posting here a complete waste of thought as despite what we think about those splitters they certainly made a useful point about metaphysics and epistemology.
p.s.
Its also not Philosophy of Science and should be in the Lounge at best.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Great! Thank you for your post.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:
Great! Thank you for your post.

Wanker!

Shouldn't you be getting on with those questions you requested. As so far you've again answered zilch.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

My friend...I can only take you so far...

You must begin to think and trust your observations.

All the best to you.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:My friend...I can only take you so far...
Bill, this stuff is taking me back to my teens.
You must begin to think and trust your observations.
I do.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:My friend...I can only take you so far...
That's because you only know so much;hydrogen only appeared once the universe had expanded enough for the quark-gluon plasma to be cool enough for baryonic matter to condense. Wherever you think you are taking us, it would only be worthwhile if it were to tell us something which is true and that we don't know.
Bill Wiltrack wrote:You must begin to think and trust your observations.
More or less the point that Descartes made, but he at least gave reasons why he thought this was so. John Locke and particularly David Hume argued that observations are all that you can trust and that nothing necessarily follows from them.
Bill Wiltrack wrote:You guys really philosophers?

I wouldn't call myself that as it isn't how I currently earn a crust, but I have studied philosophy at under and post-graduate level and been awarded the appropriate paperwork for my efforts. I also use a recognised medium for communicating reasoned arguments. I suspect that by most people's criteria that is closer to being a philosopher than someone who spent some time on an ashram and whose command of language is so limited they prefer to talk in pictures.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

........................................................................................................................

............................................................................Just keep talking. I'm listening...YOU, are fascinating.

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

So I guess this means that flexing your muscles and playing with your balls are synonymous.

Yes indeed, it would seem that most have a need to feel superior, no matter how it's accomplished. As if superior necessarily amounts to any one particular ideal.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.................................................................................

Yeah. I try to get around it but I can't.

I'm sitting here, emasculated to the point where if an ego pops-up within me I seize it and begin typing.

EACH ONE OF OUR POSTS is sprung from a need to feel superior-even if for just a minute or two...no matter how it's accomplished, upon a web site located in the tenuous ethereal.

Thanks for calling me on the carpet. I need that.