On Psychiatric Diagnoses

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aetixintro

On Psychiatric Diagnoses

Post by Aetixintro »

Apart from the view on Psychiatric diagnostication elsewhere, I start this topic just to see where it goes (or just for the f*ck of it)... nicely alongside the other...

Diagnoses: It's my view that Psychiatric diagnoses are in fact best categorised by the two sides (of two) of Schizophrenia and Depression. It's also inherent that these two categories also contain these two concepts as actual psychiatric illnesses. Thus:
Category: Schizophrenia - Illnesses: Schizophrenia, Bulimia, Psychopathy, Compulsive Obsession (particularly of people), (more?)

Category: Depression - Illnesses: Depression, Anorexia, Stress Syndromes, PTSD, (more?)

This view is a mere suggestion.
HexHammer

Re: On Psychiatric Diagnoses

Post by HexHammer »

Erotomania, obsessive love, Münchausen by Proxy, self mutilation, sadism, machochism.
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

the biggy is aestheticism and the sociopath..any mental illness lacks empathy lacks mercy to its fellow men..but it never lacks intelligence

http://www.jstor.org/pss/751250

the largest killers are the largest logicians..cutting off from their emotions toward their fellow men nazi`s were trained it in the art of degradation of those men they deemed inferior..they did this cooly and unemotively..with precision and exactness..in fact their scientists like DR Mengles found great freedom in torturing humans in the name of his scientific research i rest my case against establishment political science..today we have doctors issuing prescriptions they think nothing of the side effects or telling you their patients about them..because being a doctor today isn`t about curing you..its about their wage packet..and promoting drugs and the pharmaceutical companies run them and own them
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

maybe we should wonder about the psychology of the west?
that allows our governments to declare war on unarmed defenseless civilians in the middle east? i call this act terrorism not war
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Megalomania, god complex.
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

I agree with "Megalomania, god complex" and "Erotomania(?), obsessive love, Münchausen by Proxy, self mutilation(?), sadism, machochism(?)"! Well done, HexHammer!
Now, which of the two categories do they go into? And how do they relate to in the spectrum of these 2 categories?

For now, self mutilation is a sympton, I believe, not a mental disorder by itself.
Machochism is not either a defined mental disorder! It may just be the worship of being man by men or the man himself. There's nothing wrong in this. (I.e., they are not sexists just by machochism and machochism is not contradictory to an equal partnership with a woman, I believe.)

Keep writing! Cheers! :D
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Most mental disorders are usually defined roughly by being harmful or harmless, or how much common they are, the more common, the less disorder it is.
In muslim countries stoning people for adultry is considerd normal, if a group of people did the same in a christian country they would be locked up in a mental institution.

So in essence the defenition is quite relative.

You need to look up on some of the REALLY sever cases of self mutilation, some will amputate their legs because they have a compulsion to do so, and other atrosseties.
I don't feel like linking to any such things, most likely a mod would be all over me so I can only give hints.
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

thanks Alex for not addressing my posts lol
as for hex saying all is relative, i would like to see him say that about a member of his own family? lol//

if all is relative there is no evolution, there is only regress

so for the record Alex you and Hex suck at psychology and psychiatry which is what you pertain to know all about lol :P
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

Thanks, Izzywizzy, for your kind words! But you are still in debt to show us how superior you are!

Besides, this thread really relates to this:
The billowing "millions" of mentally ill people by diagnosis, but mentally healthy in the functional respects
(that is, there is no unifying guidelines to how the mental health industry is to behave, I reckon)
and this
The Philosophy of Psychiatry edited by Jennifer Radden,
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780 ... estMatches

It says in the review of Psychiatry in the Scientific Image by Dominic Murphy in BJPS, Vol. 60, nr. 3, 2009, p. 676, that "(5) Finally, Chapters 9 and 10 reach the book's goal with an account of Murphy's vision of a future etiology-based classification in psychiatry." While the author speaks much about biology and neuroscience (by concrete traces in the brain), I think it may be rewarding to also, or by higher priority, look to patterns of thinking to causes of insanity. This means in actual terms that a kind of "psychology of moralism/morality/ethics" lies as the foundation for how one may develop paths of pathologies, even outside the usual psychiatric spectrum. As I've written then, if you go outside the normative ethics, strange stuff can happen to your life and that this is the start of such a line, but also made objective by the metabolism test of the blood.

For the psychology of moralism/morality/ethics, I can refer you to Moral Psychology in 3 volumes edited by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Moral-Psychology- ... 007&sr=8-1. You can locate the 2nd and 3rd volumes.

The last I've read about psychiatry is that one is unclear, in terms of phil. of science, what is actually in the medical discipline of psychiatry and that this topic is meant to address this.

You can read on all there is. And yes, Izzywizzy, we hope to take delight in your superiority as well.

Cheers! :D

[Edit:] ...by diagnosis... Sorry.

[Edit2:] Added a few words from BJPS, Vol. 60, nr. 3, 2009. Psychiatry in the Scientific Image by Dominic Murphy

[Edit, 22.05.2011:] Added impl. psychology of morality and a series of books by this title.
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

Correction: The Moral Psychology is actually in 5(?, or more) volumes edited by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, also found on Amazon. Published by the MIT Press.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Aetixintro wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 am
It's funny you put bulimia under schizophrenia and anorexia [nervosa] under depression. None is either, anyway.

Perhaps you should have a look at DSM-5 first.