Is diabetes curable?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is diabetes curable?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

To me curable means it's never coming back.

I don't believe it's curable. Many stories imply it is. What do you think?

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Re: Is diabetes curable?

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:59 pm To me curable means it's never coming back.

PhilX 🇺🇸
I think we should vote on it. Hold a referendum. Then we must hold diabetes to it: "We voted you curable / not curable. (As the case might be.) Now get with the program, dammit."
duszek

Post by duszek »

Diabetes could be curable up to a point.

:lol:
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

Diabetes Type 2 is highly curable! "No symptom implies no disease!" - the scientific principle of medicine! 😎
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:59 pm To me curable means it's never coming back.

PhilX 🇺🇸
type 2 is (more aptly - reversible to several years 20 or so - give or take) - via diet and loosing weight (the latter is more apt BTW).

type 1 - no sadly, not to date at least.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

type 2 diabetes is epigenetic.

bad diet (high carbs = potatoes and rice (pots are 2x as bad as short grain "sticky" white (the "worst type) rice per weight btw) and over weight with the genes for type 2 = slow suicide.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I have those genes BTW - thankfully never like potatoes and so never eat. I do like rice though, but try to limit it as much as i can.

and more importantly refuse to be fat. would like to be 170 (I'm 180 and have been for decade now) at 6'-2".

and yes even those small 10 lbs make a HUGE diffenence if you have those diabetic genes.......for all of those 10 lbs is on the belly ;-(.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:29 am would like to be 170 (I'm 180 and have been for decade now) at 6'-2".

Is that kilos? If it's pounds then isn't that really skinny for 6'2"?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

??

I'm 180 pounds.

/2.2 for kilos, whatever that is - 100?

I'm 10 pounds over weight. (6 kilos).

for 6'-2" I would not think I'm "Fat" - but would welcome losing 6 kilos where it matters (on belly).

I'm downright skeletal for an american in the South. lol. but the new "normal weight" for Southern American's today is a joke. BTW I do like my women "fat" ("thick") - personal visual preference. but it ain't healthy.

though for "pears" is not so bad, and that is the type i prefer..............utterly off topic, sorry lol
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

my dad died 3 weeks ago today at 82 yrs of age. He was 6'-4" tall 220 lbs.

he had type 2 diabetes for the last 15 yrs - which could have been reversed via loosing that 30 lbs he had for the last 40 years, but did not loose.

he died from pneumondia(sp) in hospital (drove from OK to CA to see him 4 weeks ago - got to talk to him before he fell into unconsciousness thankfully -26 hr drive nonstop - got there just in time to talk. next day he was asleep, and just sunk deeper toward death from there the next 10 days).

He cut his life by 5 yrs with his weight IMO. ;-/.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am ??

I'm 180 pounds.

/2.2 for kilos, whatever that is - 100?

I'm 10 pounds over weight. (6 kilos).

for 6'-2" I would not think I'm "Fat" - but would welcome losing 6 kilos where it matters (on belly).

I'm downright skeletal for an american in the South. lol. but the new "normal weight" for Southern American's today is a joke. BTW I do like my women "fat" ("thick") - personal visual preference. but it ain't healthy.

though for "pears" is not so bad, and that is the type i prefer..............utterly off topic, sorry lol
According to google it's 12 stone 8 pounds which seems skinny for such a tall person. But if you have chicken legs and spider arms, with a beachball of a belly, then I suppose it's not that healthy.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

that was my dad's figure. not mine though. my 10 pound is on my belly, but i worked out when younger and still have muscular arms and legs. athletic build. Ectomorph, but not "spindly"

http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculato ... =0&x=0&y=0

right in the middle in the BMI chart.

even with the 10 pound beer belly. which i need to ride myself of.........without stopping drinking beer..............somehow. ;-/.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:59 am that was my dad's figure. not mine though. my 10 pound is on my belly, but i worked out when younger and still have muscular arms and legs. athletic build. Ectomorph, but not "spindly"

http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculato ... =0&x=0&y=0

right in the middle in the BMI chart.

even with the 10 pound beer belly. which i need to ride myself of.........without stopping drinking beer..............somehow. ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

lol.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

To keep people up to date, there are now three recognized types of diabetes.

PhilX 🇺🇸