Is there really a single universe?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ken

Re: Is there really a single universe?

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 am
ken wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I see no reason at all to think that human beings are a part of Mind or Consciousness
One reason I see for doing that is because by doing it you are then remaining OPEN
Is it possible that a mind can be too open and if so can you give an example of this
The answer is, No, to the first part.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 am
ken wrote:
So we both agree that learning and knowledge acquisition is far easier WITH a completely open Mind

Do you have any examples of things that could be hard to understand in and of themselves
We both agree that learning and knowledge acquisition is far easier with a completely open mind
Great
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 amNot only that but also with a mind that is only partially open but still more open than it once was
We both have very different, even conflicting and/or opposing, views of what 'mind' means. So, I will leave this for now.
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 amI can only give an example of something I find hard to understand and it is Quantum Mechanics
This is perfect, in that you give an example of some thing that YOU find hard to understand.

Because things, in and of themselves, are NOT hard to understand.

For example understanding that the earth revolves around the sun, and not the other way, also, once, seemed very hard to understand. In fact it took quite some many years before some people even began to understand this, now, very simple and easy thing to understand.
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 amNow some of that is counter intuitive but it is also hard from a purely intellectual perspective
What is counter intuitive?

And, saying 'it' is also hard from a purely intellectual perspective works in with and fits in perfectly with My definition of 'intellectual' compared to 'intelligent', so I agree wholeheartedly. But from a purely intelligent perspective ALL things are really very simple and easy to understand. That is of course if you really WANT to understand.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 am
ken wrote:
What have you been doing for seven years
I think I have been trying to acquire greater knowledge and understanding of how things are
I want to carry on doing this for the rest of my life so there is still so much more to be done
What are the things in particular that you want to acquire greater knowledge and understanding of?
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:34 am
ken wrote:
Instead of people trying to convince Me of some thing and they just expressed only what they want to say show or teach Me then we can begin to discuss how much truth is in what they are actually trying to persuade Me is true. The word convince to Me has a connotation of force which I do not like from any one including Me. So I do not like people trying to convince Me of some thing and I will never try to convince some one of some thing also but I am open to listening to all things
I have no problem with anyone trying to convince me of something if it actually results in me acquiring new knowledge or greater
understanding. If they have to be forceful then so be it for if I had a completely open mind they would not have to be so forceful
I could teach you far more new knowledge and a far greater understanding of how the Mind and the brain work. Would you like Me to be forceful about this?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

ken wrote:
IF and when God is defined and that definition is accepted and agreed with then and only then a true discussion could take place
about whether God exists or not There is absolutely NO use in trying to prove or disprove the existence of God or not when people
do not even know what a God is
The word God means many different things and some of them are contradictory so getting consensus to say the least is not easy
I accept this limitation so just try to work within it since I know human beings do not always agree on certain issues such as this
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
By the way do you know of any metaphysical entity

Or do you know of any metaphysical thing for that matter
I know of nothing metaphysical at all but only mentioned it in relation to God
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I have no problem with anyone trying to convince me of something if it actually results in me acquiring new knowledge or greater
understanding. If they have to be forceful then so be it for if I had a completely open mind they would not have to be so forceful
I could teach you far more new knowledge and a far greater understanding of how the Mind and the brain works
Would you like Me to be forceful about this
Yes I would because I will be learning and also because it will teach me humility which is a very positive virtue
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:39 am
ken wrote:
IF and when God is defined and that definition is accepted and agreed with then and only then a true discussion could take place
about whether God exists or not There is absolutely NO use in trying to prove or disprove the existence of God or not when people
The word God means many different things and some of them are contradictory so getting consensus to say the least is not easy
I accept this limitation so just try to work within it since I know human beings do not always agree on certain issues such as this
But there is nothing to work within. If there is NO definition for some thing, then there is nothing really to talk about in relation to that thing. For what could be talked about?
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 am
ken wrote:
By the way do you know of any metaphysical entity

Or do you know of any metaphysical thing for that matter
I know of nothing metaphysical at all but only mentioned it in relation to God
Fair enough.

Could there possibly be metaphysical thing/s?
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
ken wrote:
But there is nothing to work within. If there is NO definition for some thing then there
is nothing really to talk about in relation to that thing. For what could be talked about
One could simplify it and just listen to one person at a time give their definition of God
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Could there possibly be metaphysical things
There could be although describing them as things is problematic because a thing is physical
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 am
ken wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I could teach you far more new knowledge and a far greater understanding of how the Mind and the brain works
Would you like Me to be forceful about this
Yes I would because I will be learning and also because it will teach me humility which is a very positive virtue
Great.

Are you at all open to the idea that if you are not sure how the Mind and the brain work, then your perception of 'mind' could be wrong?
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 am
ken wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
But there is nothing to work within. If there is NO definition for some thing then there
is nothing really to talk about in relation to that thing. For what could be talked about
One could simplify it and just listen to one person at a time give their definition of God
What is your definition of 'God'?
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am
ken wrote:
Could there possibly be metaphysical things
There could be although describing them as things is problematic because a thing is physical
Are thoughts and emotions, things?
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Are you at all open to the idea that if you are not sure
I am slowly becoming more unsure of things over time but I do not know if I will be completely unsure of everything before I die
Were I a rock then I would not really know anything at all but instead I am a human being who thinks that he knows some things