Is there really a single universe?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Is there really a single universe?

Post by surreptitious57 »

ken wrote:
Are thoughts and emotions things
I have absolutely no idea but I would need to know what a thing actually is
Even then I might not know because the question is a very hard one indeed
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
What is your definition of God
This is a hard concept to explain for there are many interpretations and I might fail to describe what God means
An idea that exists within human consciousness that transcends physicality like a a metaphysical [ non physical ]
entity that can be experienced as an energy or a force. Could simply be consciousness itself I really do not know
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pm
ken wrote:
Are you at all open to the idea that if you are not sure
I am slowly becoming more unsure of things over time but I do not know if I will be completely unsure of everything before I die
Would you like to be completely unsure of everything before you die?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pmWere I a rock then I would not really know anything at all but instead I am a human being who thinks that he knows some things
This seems somewhat contradictory to what you just wrote on another thread, which was; "I recently told you that I know nothing ..." AND, "Can you please remember from now on that I know nothing as this is the second time I have told you this".

Do you think you know some things, or, do you know nothing?

Do you want Me to know that you think you know some things or that you know nothing?

By the way, you never directly answered My clarifying question.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pm
ken wrote:
Are thoughts and emotions things
I have absolutely no idea but I would need to know what a thing actually is
But you were the one who just stipulated that a 'thing' is physical.
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pmEven then I might not know because the question is a very hard one indeed
Are thoughts and emotions physical things?

Does that make the question any "easier" for you?

To Me there is NO question at all that is even remotely hard.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 pm
ken wrote:
What is your definition of God
This is a hard concept to explain for there are many interpretations and I might fail to describe what God means
An idea that exists within human consciousness that transcends physicality like a a metaphysical [ non physical ]
entity that can be experienced as an energy or a force. Could simply be consciousness itself I really do not know
You do know that you previously wrote this before, right?

You also just wrote suggesting; "One could simplify it and just listen to one person at a time give their definition of God", yet, when I tried to simplify this with you, you AGAIN did NOT give YOUR definition of 'God'.

What am I to make of this?
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Would you like to be completely unsure of everything before you die
Yes I would although I cannot be certain how unsure I will actually be
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Do you think you know some things
Do you want Me to know that you think you know some things
By the way you never directly answered My clarifying question
I think I know some things but am not sure how true they are
I do not want you to know that I think I know some things but I cannot stop you if you want to know
I never directly answered your clarifying question because I do not actually know what the answer is
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Are thoughts and emotions physical things
Does that make the question any easier for you
To Me there is NO question at all that is even remotely hard
No that does not make it any easier for me because you have not actually said what a thing is
To me there are so many questions I just do not know the answer to and it is most of them too
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
I have no opinion either way on this and it is none of my business anyway
What you want to know is a matter for you and you only and no one else
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
You also just wrote suggesting One could simplify it and just listen to one person at a time give their
definition of God yet when I tried to simplify this you you AGAIN did NOT give YOUR definition of God
I cannot give you my definition of God because I do not actually know what God is
I can give you a definition but it wouldnt be mine and it is not what you asked for
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:29 pm
ken wrote:
Does that make the question any easier for you
To Me there is NO question at all that is even remotely hard
No that does not make it any easier for me because you have not actually said what a thing is
YOU were the one who has ALREADY said what a 'thing' is, and that is physical. So, I asked the question. If you can not still answer it, then that is okay.
surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:29 pmTo me there are so many questions I just do not know the answer to and it is most of them too
Fair enough.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:35 pm
ken wrote:
I have no opinion either way on this and it is none of my business anyway
What you want to know is a matter for you and you only and no one else
Trying to deflect away from the original question, does you no favors.

You said, ""I recently told you that I know nothing ..." AND, "Can you please remember from now on that I know nothing as this is the second time I have told you this". So, it was you who wanted Me to remember/know that you know nothing, which i was going to try and remember. But, you also wrote, "I am a human being who thinks that he knows some things". So, I was trying to understand you better and find out what it is that you want Me to really remember, especially under the extremely conflicting ideas of yourself that you show us. Why you cut out only parts of the full question, which I wrote, and are displacing it from what the full question and context was in relation to exactly, only you know.
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
I think of them as manifestations of a physical thing [ the brain ] but whether they themselves are physical I do not know
They can be experienced however and so from that perspective they could be physical but this is a very grey area indeed
I have previously thought that the definition of physical really should be extended in order to account for this ambiguity
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 pm
ken wrote:
You also just wrote suggesting One could simplify it and just listen to one person at a time give their
definition of God yet when I tried to simplify this you you AGAIN did NOT give YOUR definition of God
I cannot give you my definition of God because I do not actually know what God is
I can give you a definition but it wouldnt be mine and it is not what you asked for
So, if you do NOT actually know what God is, then how could I provide evidence?

What is it exactly that you are asking Me if I can provide evidence for then?

Is there a way to provide evidence for a thing, which a person does not even know what it is (yet)?

After thousands of years human beings still never cease to amaze and humor Me. They still continue to talk about things, like God, of which they have absolutely no idea what It is. Human beings argue, dispute, fight, and even kill each other of some thing, which when questioned actually have no idea what 'It' IS.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am
ken wrote:
I think of them as manifestations of a physical thing [ the brain ] but whether they themselves are physical I do not know
Thank you, for thinking about and answering the question.
surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 amThey can be experienced however and so from that perspective they could be physical but this is a very grey area indeed
Does this grey area included that they could be not physical?
surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am I have previously thought that the definition of physical really should be extended in order to account for this ambiguity
Great thought. But I wonder if you had had that thought why you automatically went for the definition that you did, without really extending nor allowing for any thing else in order to account for the ambiguity.

But jumping to conclusions, without really looking, is what human beings do. That is how the brain works.