The end.

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

The end.

Post by uwot »

This is the conclusion of my book:

"But if the universe is made of Big Bang stuff, then so are you. And from the moment you were born, every atom of your being has been churning out Big Bang stuff that will be part of the universe forever.

Who knows what that might mean?"

For some people, this will be the most interesting point. In fact, for others, it will be the only interesting point. But as it is not something I try to develop, because I really don't know, I thought I'd chuck it open to the forum.
The thing is, for all I know, Big Bang stuff was created by some 'god', it might even be god. Perhaps we are in some sense immortal. Who knows?
Anyway, if you haven't already done so, you can check out the book here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk
Skip

Re: The end.

Post by Skip »

I liked "star stuff" better. Just as meaningless, but sounded good when Carl Sagan rolled it off his tongue.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skip wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm I liked "star stuff" better. Just as meaningless, but sounded good when Carl Sagan rolled it off his tongue.
Well yeah, but then he was Carl Sagan. In fairness though, he was describing where atoms came from. I'm more yer 'What are they made of?' sort of bloke.
-1-

Post by -1- »

uwot wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pmhttp://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk
Then there were the four:

The Town Crier (News agency)
The Willij Bouwman (the armed forces; department of defense; remnant of Chaucer's time)
The Village Idiot (entertainer; punster; strips your wife naked and you can't get angry at him)
V ilyich Ulyanov(organizer and leader of the Russian Bolshevik revolution).
-1-

Post by -1- »

Skip wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm I liked "star stuff" better. Just as meaningless, but sounded good when Carl Sagan rolled it off his tongue.
We are star dust, we are golden. -- Carl Sagan.

The seed of a myriad futures lies in every atom of our bodies. -- W.B.

(Or, alternatively, in the second, improved and expanded edition perhaps,)

We are each to explode into a beeelyun sparkling bright universes. -- Willij Bouwman.
uwot

Post by uwot »

-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 am
But what is star dust made of?
-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 amThe seed of a myriad futures lies in every atom of our bodies. -- W.B.

We are each to explode into a beeelyun sparkling bright universes. -- Willij Bouwman.
Unlikely, but it's a strange universe.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

uwot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 am
But what is star dust made of?
-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 amThe seed of a myriad futures lies in every atom of our bodies. -- W.B.

Unlikely, but it's a strange universe.
and Ziggy played guitar...

-Imp
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nivr4YZzzME
Skip

Post by Skip »

Stuff. Not dust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bm479V8qPs
Greta

Post by Greta »

uwot wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm This is the conclusion of my book:

"But if the universe is made of Big Bang stuff, then so are you. And from the moment you were born, every atom of your being has been churning out Big Bang stuff that will be part of the universe forever.
I've been chatting with someone on another forum about this. Like most here, he is leery about the idea of identifying with anything beyond the usual roles - as self, family member, employee/er, friend, nationality and subculture.

Those who focus on the practical are often cynical about those fascinated by the obviously futile attempt to understand reality per se. So if one does ty to extend their identification beyond the human to being a member of the biosphere, or part of the Earth, the solar system, galaxy or universe, this is considered to be ungrounded and unsound. Consider how Jane Goodall was treated for "breaking from the fold".

Personally, I find that largely practical, highly anthropocentric identification to be more ungrounded and philosophically unsound.
Skip

Post by Skip »

uwot wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm For some people, this will be the most interesting point. In fact, for others, it will be the only interesting point. But as it is not something I try to develop, because I really don't know, I thought I'd chuck it open to the forum.
The thing is, for all I know, Big Bang stuff was created by some 'god', it might even be god.* Perhaps we are in some sense immortal. Who knows?
For all I know, something unexplained might be something else undefined, who knows...
There is nothing to disagree with here; nothing objectionable (with the possible exception of that very near plagiarism) ---
and nothing added to the sum of human wisdom.

* Like this?
https://www.writingforums.org/threads/t ... nd.156478/
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skip wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pmThere is nothing to disagree with here; nothing objectionable (with the possible exception of that very near plagiarism) ---
and nothing added to the sum of human wisdom.
Hmm. So the only function your post serves is to imply I might be guilty of plagiarism.
Skip wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm* Like this?
Unfortunately, I cannot confirm whether I stole from that particular author, as I couldn't open the link, but I'll take your word for it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

uwot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pm
Unfortunately, I cannot confirm whether I stole from that particular author, as I couldn't open the link, but I'll take your word for it.
Never said you did. The near-plagiarism remark was about the Carl Sagan quote, that's familiar to most everyone.
The other thing referred to "the Big Bang stuff was created by some 'god', it might even be god.*" (hence the little asterisk), simply to demonstrate that the notion has also occurred to others; plus, thought you might enjoy the prose-poem.

The site seems to be down. I'll check back later.

Seems to be working now. Anyhow, it's not important.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skip wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am
uwot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pmUnfortunately, I cannot confirm whether I stole from that particular author, as I couldn't open the link, but I'll take your word for it.
Never said you did. The near-plagiarism remark was about the Carl Sagan quote, that's familiar to most everyone.
Well, I watched 'Cosmos', so you could be onto something.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skip wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 amhttps://www.writingforums.org/threads/t ... nd.156478/
Seems to be working now.
Not for me.
Computer wrote:An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.
Skip wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 amAnyhow, it's not important.
Oh. OK then.