What's the simplest form of life?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What's the simplest form of life?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't mean the simplest form discovered. I mean the simplest form period where it's impossible to have a simpler form of life which is proven by science.

Phil
Harbal

Re: What's the simplest form of life?

Post by Harbal »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 am I don't mean the simplest form discovered. I mean the simplest form period where it's impossible to have a simpler form of life which is proven by science.
So you don't just mean the simplest form on this forum?
Greta

Post by Greta »

It is a synthetic life from created by Craig Venter: https://www.sciencealert.com/this-machi ... re-reeling
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:50 pm It is a synthetic life from created by Craig Venter: https://www.sciencealert.com/this-machi ... re-reeling
There's a catch to this:

"In 2016, Venter's team managed to produce a species of bacteria in the lab with just 437 genes - the absolute minimum of genetic code needed to support life (as far we know)."

"As far we know" isn't proven.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Harbal wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:07 am I don't mean the simplest form discovered. I mean the simplest form period where it's impossible to have a simpler form of life which is proven by science.
It's debatable Harb.

PhilX
wtf

Post by wtf »

What's your definition of life? Without any specific def, why isn't Conway's game of life the answer to your question?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Phil
Donald Trump.
Noax

Post by Noax »

wtf wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm What's your definition of life? Without any specific def, why isn't Conway's game of life the answer to your question?
How might you define life then that you offer that. Conway's game of life is not life any more than Milton Bradley's game of life is, it is just different physics. Has anybody found a lifeform in it? A Turing machine, yes, but that by itself is not life.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Noax wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm
wtf wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm What's your definition of life? Without any specific def, why isn't Conway's game of life the answer to your question?
How might you define life then that you offer that. Conway's game of life is not life any more than Milton Bradley's game of life is, it is just different physics. Has anybody found a lifeform in it? A Turing machine, yes, but that by itself is not life.
Wasn't that my question? One needs to define life before proposing a candidate for the simplest form of life. And the definition of life is not 100% clear, even in biology. There are things like viruses that are in a gray area.

Surely in a world where people speculate that we ourselves are computer programs that may be running in some large computer in the sky, or that we might in the future upload our minds to a computer, it's not unreasonable to challenge the OP with the example of Conway's Life. One need not believe in simulation and uploading (I don't) to be aware that these ideas have a certain trendiness these days.
Philosophy Explorer

wtf wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 am
Noax wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm
Wasn't that my question? One needs to define life before proposing a candidate for the simplest form of life. And the definition of life is not 100% clear, even in biology. There are things like viruses that are in a gray area.

Surely in a world where people speculate that we ourselves are computer programs that may be running in some large computer in the sky, or that we might in the future upload our minds to a computer, it's not unreasonable to challenge the OP with the example of Conway's Life. One need not believe in simulation and uploading (I don't) to be aware that these ideas have a certain trendiness these days.
If one needs to define life before proceeding to the title question, one can offer a tentative definition to move on. Otherwise you're suggesting you have no answer here. You have a choice.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm
Quoting for the picture. Find what’s lively and you’ll find life. To be lively means to move, mind or body, and in fact life moves if only internally in biological processes, which is not to say that all that moves is alive, although in a sense we could say that. From this we can conclude that the simplest life is a big toe, toe-tappin.