Last minute tweaks

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: Last minute tweaks

Post by -1- »

-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:49 am Except they are mostly hollow, not solid like ball bearings.
Except ball bearings are not solid, either, if you think about it long and hard enough.
uwot

Post by uwot »

-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 am """Realising he'd cocked up, Einstein called the cosmological constant the biggest blunder of his career."""

So what were the repercussions of his blunder?
Nothing much, he just didn't get to predict the big bang.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

uwot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 am
-1- wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 am """Realising he'd cocked up, Einstein called the cosmological constant the biggest blunder of his career."""

So what were the repercussions of his blunder?
Nothing much, he just didn't get to predict the big bang.
But Lemaître discovered it in the theory did he not which escaped Einstein who didn't always understand the ramifications of it including Black Holes. Albert could be quite dismissive of those who more closely examined his ideas. Had he thought of these exceptions while creating it one wonders if he wouldn't have screwed it up in being reluctant to accept its consequences. He had his own rationalizations on how the universe should function.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am...Lemaître discovered it in the theory did he not...
I had to check, (thank you wikipedia) but galactic redshift was discovered by Vesto Slipher in 1912. Lemaître published a paper in 1927 called "A homogeneous Universe of constant mass and growing radius accounting for the radial velocity of extragalactic nebulae". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaître Although the article states that the idea of the primeval atom/big bang was not included in that paper, and was only presented later, presumably when Lemaître had worked it out from theory.
Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am...which escaped Einstein who didn't always understand the ramifications of it including Black Holes. Albert could be quite dismissive of those who more closely examined his ideas. Had he thought of these exceptions while creating it one wonders if he wouldn't have screwed it up in being reluctant to accept its consequences. He had his own rationalizations on how the universe should function.
Clearly. From the same wiki page:
"At this time, Einstein, while not taking exception to the mathematics of Lemaître's theory, refused to accept the idea of an expanding universe; Lemaître recalled him commenting "Vos calculs sont corrects, mais votre physique est abominable" ("Your calculations are correct, but your physics is atrocious.")"
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi uwot,
Couldn't find your original thread but a conversation you're having elsewhere caused me to take relook at your comicbook(a fine piece of work I must say) and I may have missed the point but if everything is made of bbs then why are they moving at different speeds through the 'stuff''? Just plain inertia due to being a 'larger' 'mass' of bbs? If so why do photons move at different speeds(I presume they do at times?)
uwot

Post by uwot »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm Hi uwot,
Couldn't find your original thread but a conversation you're having elsewhere caused me to take relook at your comicbook(a fine piece of work I must say)...
Wotcher Arising. Thanks; very good of you to say so.
Arising_uk wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm...and I may have missed the point but if everything is made of bbs then why are they moving at different speeds through the 'stuff''? Just plain inertia due to being a 'larger' 'mass' of bbs? If so why do photons move at different speeds(I presume they do at times?)
Dunno if this'll help, but in some ways it's analogous to the atmosphere, with weather systems, storms, hurricanes and whatnot, being yer particles. They can move around the atmosphere at any old speed. Photons are more like sound waves, they move at whatever speed the local conditions dictate.