What is the universe made of? II

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

What is the universe made of? II

Post by uwot »

Dear, oh dear. That first effort was so bad, it's embarrassing. No matter; I've made a whole bunch of changes, which I hope are improvements. You can see the results here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... of_13.html and any feedback will be gratefully received.
Impenitent

Re: What is the universe made of? II

Post by Impenitent »

"everything we see is made of atoms"

I disagree...

the universe is mostly "unseen" space between unseen "atoms"... (or monads or what-have-you...)

ether be damned

-Imp
uwot

Post by uwot »

Impenitent wrote:"everything we see is made of atoms"

I disagree...

the universe is mostly "unseen" space between unseen "atoms"...
True, dark matter, dark energy and whatnot, but "everything we see is made of atoms"
Shame about Chuck Berry.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

uwot wrote:
Impenitent wrote:"everything we see is made of atoms"

I disagree...

the universe is mostly "unseen" space between unseen "atoms"...
True, dark matter, dark energy and whatnot, but "everything we see is made of atoms"
Shame about Chuck Berry.
The Key phrase is "everything we see", so what is invisible, we don't see.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

What is the universe made of? - Stuff.
henry quirk

What is the universe made of?

Post by henry quirk »

Azathoth poop.
uwot

Post by uwot »

thedoc wrote:What is the universe made of? - Stuff.
Yup. That's pretty much the basic premise.
uwot

Re: What is the universe made of?

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote:Azathoth poop.
Quite possibly. Could you add some reasoning to this claim?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

uwot wrote:
henry quirk wrote:Azathoth poop.
Quite possibly. Could you add some reasoning to this claim?
You spelled "seasoning" wrong.
uwot

Post by uwot »

thedoc wrote:You spelled "seasoning" wrong.
If you say so, duc.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Have all the 'illions been curtailed now?

So I at last have got that a billion is no longer what it says, i.e. two lot of millions, i.e. a million million and is now a paltry thousand million but have all the rest gone down this unintuitive route as well? As it was so simple, Tri for three, Quad for four, Quint for five(ok maybe not that intuitive), sext, sept, etc.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Arising_uk wrote:Have all the 'illions been curtailed now?
Well, there's yer long scale and yer short scale, but frankly, whether it's 21 or 36 zeros, a sextillion is a facking big number.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Let me repeat again: The Universe is made from condensing/crystallizing aether/physical space/vacuum. Elementary particles are certain structural defects in it. The Future is not prepared yet. The (quantum, live) Presence is phase border between (growing) solid History and the (obscure) Future:)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Cerveny wrote:Let me repeat again: The Universe is made from condensing/crystallizing aether/physical space/vacuum. Elementary particles are certain structural defects in it. The Future is not prepared yet. The (quantum, live) Presence is phase border between (growing) solid History and the (obscure) Future:)
Your posts never fail to disappoint.

LOL
Noax

Post by Noax »

uwot wrote:Dear, oh dear. That first effort was so bad, it's embarrassing. No matter; I've made a whole bunch of changes, which I hope are improvements. You can see the results here: http://willijbouwman.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... of_13.html and any feedback will be gratefully received.
I see you're getting loads of quality feedback about poor naming standards for the 'illion' numbers.

My two cents this time is barely that. I will comment mostly on the last two panels, but with the disclaimer that I'm no expert on accretion theory.

There is a thread going around about how heavy and light things fall at the same pace. Consequently it would seem that hydrogen and all the heavier crap would form stars and planets with similar distributions of the elements. My understanding is that this is true: There are natural (not locally created, at least not yet) heavy elements in the sun just as much as anywhere. But the inner planets are not massive enough to retain their share of the light stuff, and much of what they did retain got blown away by solar wind once the wind formed. You'd think Pluto would be far enough away to retain some of its share, but it hardly has the gravity necessary to retain an atmosphere in the first place. Point is, I think it is a mistake to state that lighter elements accelerated quickest. That makes no sense.
In fact an atom or any other object tends to orbit a center of gravity, and something needs to slow down that orbital speed in order to let it drop down and become part of the star. The planets might play a role in this. Earth must have had thousands of 'moons' at one point, all of which eventually got flung away, fell to Earth, or coalesced into the one Moon which in its billions of years has managed to clean nearby space pretty much clean of all those teeny objects, at least before humans recluttered the space up with new junk.

About the whimper death: Our sun will go Nova, which is hardly a whimper, but is also hardly a supernova like the one that formed the crab nebula. Mars is the innermost planet that will survive the sun going Nova. Plenty of explosion and formation of heavier things, but without the supernova, much less (if any) of things heavier than iron, and nothing dramatic like a neutron star or black hole like what is centered on said crab nebula.

Does anybody know what the long term prospects of a planet like Jupiter are? Once the sun goes out and its own geothermal energy runs out, the thing has to drop in temperature to a strange dense (liquid??) hydrogen-covered object.