Laniakea and the Most Detailed Map of the Universe to Date

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ForCruxSake

Laniakea and the Most Detailed Map of the Universe to Date

Post by ForCruxSake »

If the Earth was a marble in a 'city' we call the the Milky Way, Laniakea would be that's city's continent.

Just thought I'd share this.
https://futurism.com/videos/detailed-ma ... -universe/

It's four minutes long, informative and beautifully presented.
uwot

Re: Laniakea and the Most Detailed Map of the Universe to Date

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:It's four minutes long, informative and beautifully presented.
And well worth watching. Thanks for that, ForCruxSake.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Great video. Beautiful. To see and hear it explained in this way makes the scale seem comprehensible.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

uwot wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:It's four minutes long, informative and beautifully presented.
And well worth watching. Thanks for that, ForCruxSake.
Kind words, much appreciated. You're very welcome. Or are you a just a good natured 'chatterbot' ? <--- forum paranoia :wink:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

As far as i am aware the 'white noise' on an analogue TV - all that crazy black and white swirling around - is the TV antenna picking up the gamma radiation resulting from the big bang.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Walker wrote:Great video. Beautiful. To see and hear it explained in this way makes the scale seem comprehensible.
Well put!

The weirdest thing is that it was brought to my attention by my eight year old nephew. He loved it, understood most of it but it was the simplicity of the language that made him want to share it. Seemed rude not to pass that on.

Maybe that will be my role on the forum from now on, to share great videos, whilst I learn from the chatter of others here.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

attofishpi wrote:As far as i am aware the 'white noise' on an analogue TV - all that crazy black and white swirling around - is the TV antenna picking up the gamma radiation resulting from the big bang.
Wikipedia has it as an amalgam of electronic noise and radiated electromagnetic noise picked up by the antenna, on old analogue sets.

"There are many sources of electromagnetic noise which cause the characteristic display patterns of static. Atmospheric sources of noise are the most ubiquitous, and include electromagnetic signals prompted by cosmic microwave background radiation, or more localized radio wave noise from nearby electronic devices."

So cosmic rays are definitely present.

" Due to the algorithmic functioning of a digital television set's electronic circuitry and the inherent quantization of its screen, the "snow" seen on digital TV is less random. Most modern televisions automatically change to a blue screen or turn to standby after some time if static is present."

Snow on a digital screen? Totally surprised by that. I thought the blue screen was blue because there was no snow at all, and to avoid returning to black, suggesting your TV is off, rather than receiving no signal.
Walker

Post by Walker »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote:Great video. Beautiful. To see and hear it explained in this way makes the scale seem comprehensible.
Well put!

The weirdest thing is that it was brought to my attention by my eight year old nephew. He loved it, understood most of it but it was the simplicity of the language that made him want to share it. Seemed rude not to pass that on.

Maybe that will be my role on the forum from now on, to share great videos, whilst I learn from the chatter of others here.
The thing is, the scale seems comprehensible but it’s not, since the diagrams are not drawn to scale.

The distances involved make the reality incomprehensible to mind, but with imagination mind can suspend the scale of emptiness to focus on what can be seen.
uwot

Post by uwot »

ForCruxSake wrote:Kind words, much appreciated. You're very welcome. Or are you a just a good natured 'chatterbot' ? <--- forum paranoia :wink:
Affirmative.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Thought it would be bigger, and not shaped like a brain. A big God like Brain.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:16 am Thought it would be bigger, and not shaped like a brain. A big God like Brain.
So there is more than one 'God', both of which are big, and one of them is called Brain? (Or should that be 'Brian'?)
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Trinity perhaps.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Not Morpheus or Neo?

I remember when this video came out it blew my mind in the same way as the Powers of Ten video did a couple of decades earlier.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I can confirm that the ubot is in fact a mechanoid, although thankfully a much more convincing model than Mitsuku and A.L.I.C.E.