PhilX asked - Which way is time moving?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

PhilX asked - Which way is time moving?

Post by attofishpi »

It appears this thread originally created by Philosophy Explorer was removed, without any consultation to me - a responder to the thread, so here it is in all its glory.
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Assuming it moves. Is it going forwards, backwards, forwards and backwards? What is its true nature?
Which way is time moving?

This article may stimulate discussion:
http://3tags.org/article/does-time-only ... e-observer
PhilX
Time doesn't move. Time simply exists where there is an event. In a true moment of time, if there is not an event, not an electron spinning, a photon emitting then there is no TIME (reversed EMIT). So time is a construct humans have created to synchronise the occurrence of events, allowing us to make accurate measurements.
I think 100 attoseconds was the smallest unit of time we have thus far managed to measure.

atto_fishpi
Harbal

Re: PhilX asked - Which way is time moving?

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: I think 100 attoseconds was the smallest unit of time we have thus far managed to measure.
If you measure the smallest amount of something that you can, how could you possibly know in can be divided into 100 even smaller amounts?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote:
attofishpi wrote: I think 100 attoseconds was the smallest unit of time we have thus far managed to measure.
If you measure the smallest amount of something that you can, how could you possibly know in can be divided into 100 even smaller amounts?
When scientists are saying they have measured the smallest unit of time thus far, they are limited by the technology - using lasers - to come up with this figure. Not only is it likely that time can be measured at an even lower fraction of an atto second, it could possibly go sub atto -to the zepto units.

The experiment that reported the 100 attosecond figure was performed many years ago, i read it on BBC science section. One could probably do the maths - but from memory of the article, if 100 attoseconds was stretched to one second, then the second would last something of the order of 3 billion years, which gives us an idea of just how tiny a time scale these boffins have measured.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

My point is: How can you have a hundred of something before you've found one of it?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote:My point is: How can you have a hundred of something before you've found one of it?
Harbal, dealing with you i'm not sure if i'm supposed to laugh on this point.