THE MOON

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: THE MOON

Post by Lacewing »

Very interesting story, Hobbes'! So fascinating how Simon has woven his truth/reality in such a way!
Hobbes' Choice wrote: I only found out about all this last year when I did and FB search for him - to which he never replied. Don't know why. Maybe because I know the truth about his teens and late kidhood?
Surely so! That probably scared him... to have the truth come knocking.
Hobbes' Choice wrote: He definitely believes what he says and has managed to construct an impenetrable edifice of belief for which no falsification is possible. I don't see him as any different from any other religious person. This should act as a warning to anyone who allows belief into their lives.
I agree. There must be seemingly inescapable reasons/needs for encompassing oneself in such a way. I think to associate oneself with that which is so much bigger than oneself, gives the sense of oneself being bigger. Perhaps in some cases, it's like adults seeking an advising/caretaking force in their lives to replace their parents?

I don't mean to offend religious people with this -- it is a reasonable potential to consider. Especially when we look at how many different beliefs there are, and even MOST religious people would say that beliefs OTHER THAN THEIR OWN are wrong -- so WHAT MIGHT BE the reasons/needs for people to adopt the different/"wrong" beliefs they have? If it's not "the truth"... what was the purpose for making it up and/or adopting it? This isn't just a thoughtful exploration for non-religious people. Can religious people do it of other religious people -- asking why they would come to believe such things -- or would that seem to cause too many questions for themselves?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Lacewing wrote: I don't mean to offend religious people with this -- it is a reasonable potential to consider. Especially when we look at how many different beliefs there are, and even MOST religious people would say that beliefs OTHER THAN THEIR OWN are wrong
In defence of reason, sometimes all we have left to work with is ridicule. So I do not see 'offence', as something to be avoided at all costs.
When I say something which people find ridiculous they let fly without regard to avoid offence, I can defend myself and my position or allow it to wither. This is preferable to the persistence of stupidity.
I aim to believe nothing; nothing beyond a recognition of opinion or beliefs beyond aspiration.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: He would have looked fine if he hadn't had all that botox and crap. When men get cosmetic surgery they end up looking like women (and not attractive women either). He's also bloated with alcohol. He was so beautiful in his youth. Funnily enought the 'ugly' one, Danny Bonaduce, aged a lot better.
Mickey Rourke is the real tragedy on that score.
he was not just pretty, but interesting looking.

Yes. There's a mountain of those shallow, vain Hollywood fools who look like freak-show exhibits. The weird thing is that they think they look good. :?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: He would have looked fine if he hadn't had all that botox and crap. When men get cosmetic surgery they end up looking like women (and not attractive women either). He's also bloated with alcohol. He was so beautiful in his youth. Funnily enought the 'ugly' one, Danny Bonaduce, aged a lot better.
Mickey Rourke is the real tragedy on that score.
he was not just pretty, but interesting looking.

Yes. There's a mountain of those shallow, vain Hollywood fools who look like freak-show exhibits. The weird thing is that they think they look good. :?
Mickey was smarter than that. He loved boxing and got his face smashed in taking a sabbatical from acting. He made some bad choices with surgery, but I think he knows he looks shit.

On the other hand

Joan always looked like a bad sculpture of herself