What is thought?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: What is thought?

Post by HexHammer »

sthitapragya wrote:No, but that still does not explain the rage you have. Everyone comes across stupidity/ incompetence. Normal people don't react the way you do. You might not agree but you obviously have some hidden psychological issues. Your reactions are uncommonly angry. And that can only be personal dissatisfaction and denial, maybe guilt or shame, resulting in you lashing out at others. That is why I suggested that you look into it. You definitely have issues.
1) I've tried for years to speak politely but that didn't get me anywhere, cozy chatter continue their clueless cozy chat that leads to no where, that frustrates me and I have to resort to more rough methods.

2) you are sensitive and haven't waken up to reality, but like to live in a bubble which I've bursted and you wants to retaliate because I've trying to wake you up to reality.

3) you haven't seen me angry, this is actually being somewhat nice. Grow a pair.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

HexHammer wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:No, but that still does not explain the rage you have. Everyone comes across stupidity/ incompetence. Normal people don't react the way you do. You might not agree but you obviously have some hidden psychological issues. Your reactions are uncommonly angry. And that can only be personal dissatisfaction and denial, maybe guilt or shame, resulting in you lashing out at others. That is why I suggested that you look into it. You definitely have issues.
1) I've tried for years to speak politely but that didn't get me anywhere, cozy chatter continue their clueless cozy chat that leads to no where, that frustrates me and I have to resort to more rough methods.

2) you are sensitive and haven't waken up to reality, but like to live in a bubble which I've bursted and you wants to retaliate because I've trying to wake you up to reality.

3) you haven't seen me angry, this is actually being somewhat nice. Grow a pair.
Not really. I always knew I was an idiot. I have an IQ of 85. I make do with it. I know my limitations. So anything you say will not affect me. But I am just interested in your case. You seem to be intelligent. And you brag about a successful job and you claim to be extraordinarily competent. So by all accounts you should at least be satisfied. Instead, you are a bundle of rage. There really was no reason for you to lash out at me. You could simply have ignored me and left. But you chose to insult me and took the trouble to put me down. That means that letting your rage out is important to you. Which implies dissatisfaction with yourself or shame and guilt. That you have issues is clear. I was just suggesting that you get help.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

sthitapragya wrote:Not really. I always knew I was an idiot. I have an IQ of 85. I make do with it. I know my limitations. So anything you say will not affect me. But I am just interested in your case. You seem to be intelligent. And you brag about a successful job and you claim to be extraordinarily competent. So by all accounts you should at least be satisfied. Instead, you are a bundle of rage. There really was no reason for you to lash out at me. You could simply have ignored me and left. But you chose to insult me and took the trouble to put me down. That means that letting your rage out is important to you. Which implies dissatisfaction with yourself or shame and guilt. That you have issues is clear. I was just suggesting that you get help.
Mayhaps it's from me having a brain damage to the frontal lope, making me easily lose my temper ..never had a scan of it.

But IQ tests only tests a few intelligences thus are useless to really test intelligences. Many when I was in the army had high IQ scores but was somewhat retards when it came to being a soldier. The strange thing I shot silver with iron sights and the sights wasn't calibrated, and only 2 out of 100 got silver. Only 5 got bronze ..so much for being "intelligent".
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greta wrote: Maybe not for the simplest of stories. For instance, a human might think, "a dog is there" in reference to a nearby dog. Meanwhile a cat or rat in the same circumstance would have an almost identical wordless narrative, perhaps akin to "one of those things is there". I agree that to construct a narrative beyond basic impressions needs some form of language to provide structure.
There is no narrative at all without language to communicate it.
Only if communicating to others. Internally things are different. During times when your mind is quiet wordless thoughts arrive in sensations and impressions. Little unexpressed stories in our minds like "I have a pain in my lower back" or "my hands feel cold" occur without words but are then translated.

On the other hand, you could say that the language of those basic impressions is found in the communication systems of the body - nerve impulses, hormones, oxygen delivery and, especially, the "language" of communicating neurons and other nerve cells. In that sense there must always be a language - and memory - for the continuity of a narrative over time. Otherwise we are left with a stream of chaotic impressions.
The signals of those neurones have to have organisation, that is language of a sort. It just depends where you extend the definition, Communication implies language and Vice versa.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:She's right, yes. Funny then that she's all science here, but then delves into esoterica when discussing consciousness with me, in arguing against antinatalism, like the simplicity of our wetworks is meaningless. I think she's a secret dualist; mind/body.

Is this the case Greta? (I'd best signal her with an empty quote.)
Greta wrote:.
:D I never claimed to be consistent. And yes, I'm thoroughly esoteric. My dream is to write sci fi stories, but I cannot plot. So I'm here.

Obviously I'm at least as ignorant as the next person when it comes to what knowing what reality is about. I generally operate on the assumption that reality is all one thing but, according to the boffins, it's not. There's the universe and there is dark energy, which does not seem to be part of the universe but entirely independent of, and unaffected by, it. When the universe is kaput, dark energy will keep on rolling along like Old Man River, presumably spawning more universes.

The relationships between the universe and dark energy remind me of Chalmers's dualism of qualia and the physical/informational. I don't see a dualist qualia as any more weird than dualist dark energy, just lacking the latter's theoretical support.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greta wrote:On the other hand, you could say that the language of those basic impressions is found in the communication systems of the body - nerve impulses, hormones, oxygen delivery and, especially, the "language" of communicating neurons and other nerve cells. In that sense there must always be a language - and memory - for the continuity of a narrative over time. Otherwise we are left with a stream of chaotic impressions.
The signals of those neurones have to have organisation, that is language of a sort. It just depends where you extend the definition, Communication implies language and Vice versa.
Yup, agree. There's definitely a language, a code for communication. In a way you say that language is everywhere - it's all a matter of noticing and decoding.
timg

Post by timg »

Great question to bad people have to post a bunch of crap an argue off topic . thought does not disapate information gained is not lost , it may become unacessable but its not gone. Conscious access to information is unknown but am guessing the brain is like a antenna, and a storage device for the important information to keep the body alive . if anyone cares to discuss my theories without childish comments I would be greatful.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

timg wrote:Great question to bad people have to post a bunch of crap an argue off topic . thought does not disapate information gained is not lost , it may become unacessable but its not gone. Conscious access to information is unknown but am guessing the brain is like a antenna, and a storage device for the important information to keep the body alive . if anyone cares to discuss my theories without childish comments I would be greatful.
Greta helped me figure out that thoughts are nothing but translations of some of what the brain interprets. So my questions have basically been answered or rendered redundant.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

sthitapragya wrote:Is it a form of energy? Is it a particle or a wave? Does it have mass? Does it have a temperature? Velocity? Does it occupy space? What happens to it after it is created? Does it dissipate or decay? Does it have a life span? Does anyone have any idea? I have searched all over for something on this but there doesn't seem to be anything.
"Thought" is always an input...to our consciousness, after generating thought.