Simulation theory and detecting virtual machines

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

johnball6284

Simulation theory and detecting virtual machines

Post by johnball6284 »

Has anyone ever compared simulation theory to a script to detect virtual machines?

I know in vmware you can run a script that tells you if you are inside a virtual machine. I find it interesting that with knowledge of the host of the virtual machine, you can execute code from within that virtual machine that will detect the host.

The problem is that from with inside the virtual machine you could never trust the outcome of your script.
Arising_uk

Re: Simulation theory and detecting virtual machines

Post by Arising_uk »

johnball6284 wrote:..
I know in vmware you can run a script that tells you if you are inside a virtual machine. I find it interesting that with knowledge of the host of the virtual machine, you can execute code from within that virtual machine that will detect the host. ...
Er!? If you have knowledge of the host what's the point of detecting it?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Something that has always been a consideration of mine, in knowing that a God\'God' exists is:-
If our consciousness did interface to a virtual - simulation\emulation reality, we could never determine that we are within such an emulated system unless the host system ('God') permits us to.
In that, if ALL dimensions that make up our reality are under the direct control of the 'upper' system (including time) then we will never be able to test the boundaries, since the upper system can always move the goal posts.
Indeed, if we were then able to create another sub-system reality and subject others to believe that they are in 'normal' reality, we still would not have full control over their reality, since the 'upper' system or 'God' has ultimate control over the dimensions of all sub-systems contained within - via and not restricted to - the time dimension.(although truthfully speaking time is only a measuring stick)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Atto, I'm trying to remember a story, where this person climbs out of his world, only to find himself in a child's room. He tells the boy who's model it is that his world is dying, to which the boy replies that his world is just one of many failed experiments he has discarded, and that it was only supposed to support evolutionary life up to dinosaurs.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:Something that has always been a consideration of mine, in knowing that a God\'God' exists is:-
If our consciousness did interface to a virtual - simulation\emulation reality, we could never determine that we are within such an emulated system unless the host system ('God') permits us to. ...
One, but your 'consciousness' is a simulation? Two, not so, we could try and deduce what kind of interface is possible to interact with reality and look for it. Three, emulation and simulations are not the same thing.
In that, if ALL dimensions that make up our reality are under the direct control of the 'upper' system (including time) then we will never be able to test the boundaries, since the upper system can always move the goal posts.
Then we'd notice the posts moving?
Indeed, if we were then able to create another sub-system reality and subject others to believe that they are in 'normal' reality, we still would not have full control over their reality, since the 'upper' system or 'God' has ultimate control over the dimensions of all sub-systems contained within - via and not restricted to - the time dimension.(although truthfully speaking time is only a measuring stick)
If we have no control over it then why would you think this 'God' has over 'its' one, i.e. what sub-system is 'it' being simulated in?
timg

Post by timg »

I would disagree that if we are in a simulation we would not be allowed to detect it. The reason I say that is because we have the ability to question our existence. I have very different thoughts about how the simulation theory is misconstrued and only theorized on a computer based platform because its hard to realize something that is not understood. I believe we are in a simulated existence .
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

you are still a brain in a vat

-Imp
osgart

Post by osgart »

so does the computer generate matter and energy itself?

what lies outside of our reality?

where is the code recognition?

is information tangible?

is it embedded in our DNA, a t c g?

I rather think there is a force that supersedes physics that created our reality and shapes and manipulates it.

semantic information and computation instruct the universe to form life matter and energy..

I find it hard to believe that what I feel isn't real .
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Arising_uk wrote:
johnball6284 wrote:..
I know in vmware you can run a script that tells you if you are inside a virtual machine. I find it interesting that with knowledge of the host of the virtual machine, you can execute code from within that virtual machine that will detect the host. ...
Er!? If you have knowledge of the host what's the point of detecting it?
Ah! Sorry, I missed your point. Presumably you can only run the script to tell you if you are inside a VM if someone has written one from outside?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:you are still a brain in a vat

-Imp
But the 'vat' is a body with senses in an external world.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote:you are still a brain in a vat

-Imp
But the 'vat' is a body with senses in an external world.
prove it

-Imp
osgart

Post by osgart »

so someone is programming the same damn reality in each of our vat brains and the reality dont exist other than the feelprog I'm feeling and all the sensory prog. and simulation motosensory prog.

each grain of sand, each detail, and my digestion prog too... that's some dann environmental prog.

me rather thinks this friggin thing called earth is really real only it's manipulated to support life. or whatever
osgart

Post by osgart »

that's a lot of real estate to put tiny vat people into
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote: prove it

-Imp
Sorry, I meant the body is a 'vat' with senses in an external world, in a sense.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote:
Impenitent wrote: prove it

-Imp
Sorry, I meant the body is a 'vat' with senses in an external world, in a sense.
I understood what you meant, and you cannot prove the "senses" are of an external world...

-Imp