What is a quantum computer?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: What is a quantum computer?

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Let me ask you this then. What would you hope to gain through the Rod Logic device that you couldn't gain from a smartphone (which is available)?
No idea, apart from personal control over a pocket super-computer that can't be wiped by an EM pulse, what have you gained from a smart-phone and computer that you didn't have over the telephone and typewriter?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Arising_uk wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Let me ask you this then. What would you hope to gain through the Rod Logic device that you couldn't gain from a smartphone (which is available)?
No idea, apart from personal control over a pocket super-computer that can't be wiped by an EM pulse, what have you gained from a smart-phone and computer that you didn't have over the telephone and typewriter?
What have I gained????? The internet, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You mean the wwweb?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:You mean the wwweb?
I don't mean a dweeb. :lol:

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

So you use the internet how? Other than through the weeb.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:So you use the internet how? Other than through the weeb.
Let me turn the question around. What would you do without the internet?

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Let me turn the question around. What would you do without the internet?
(Do you mean the Internet or the WWWeeb?)Carry on as I did before.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Let me turn the question around. What would you do without the internet?
(Do you mean the Internet or the WWWeeb?)Carry on as I did before.
The Internet. Now try to carry on as I have.

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: What have I gained????? The internet, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

PhilX
Exactly! And you had no idea that this would happen so the same applies to the idea of having your own personal pocket super-computer.

Now I get that a publicly available quantum computer would be useful but it's horses for courses for me as I'm the kind who likes to root their phone and prefers Android to Apple and Linux to Windows and OSX and thinks HTML was a mistake and Ted Nelson's HyperText the correct model.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ... Now try to carry on as I have.

PhilX
No thanks.
Karthikaqpt

Post by Karthikaqpt »

A quantum computer is a computer which processes information at the speed of light.

IBM has announced an industry-first initiative to build commercially available universal quantum computing systems.

IBM Q” quantum systems and services will be delivered via the IBM Cloud platform.
While technologies that currently run on classical computers, such as Watson, can help find patterns and insights buried in vast amounts of existing data, quantum computers will deliver solutions to important problems where patterns cannot be seen because the data doesn’t exist and the possibilities that you need to explore to get to the answer are too enormous to ever be processed by classical computers.

IBM also announced the release of a new API for the IBM Quantum Experience that enables developers and programmers to begin building interfaces between its existing five quantum bit (qubit) cloud-based quantum computer and classical computers, without needing a deep background in quantum physics.
And, also announced the release of an upgraded simulator on the IBM Quantum Experience that can model circuits with up to 20 qubits. In the first half of 2017, IBM plans to release a full SDK (Software Development Kit) on the IBM Quantum Experience for users to build simple quantum applications and software programs.

The IBM Quantum Experience enables anyone to connect to IBM’s quantum processor via the IBM Cloud, to run algorithms and experiments, work with the individual quantum bits, and explore tutorials and simulations around what might be possible with quantum computing.

IBM Q systems will be designed to tackle problems that are currently seen as too complex and exponential in nature for classical computing systems to handle. One of the first and most promising applications for quantum computing will be in the area of chemistry. Even for simple molecules like caffeine, the number of quantum states in the molecule can be astoundingly large – so large that all the conventional computing memory and processing power scientists could ever build could not handle the problem.
Philosophy Explorer

Karthikaqpt wrote:A quantum computer is a computer which processes information at the speed of light.

IBM has announced an industry-first initiative to build commercially available universal quantum computing systems.

IBM Q” quantum systems and services will be delivered via the IBM Cloud platform.
While technologies that currently run on classical computers, such as Watson, can help find patterns and insights buried in vast amounts of existing data, quantum computers will deliver solutions to important problems where patterns cannot be seen because the data doesn’t exist and the possibilities that you need to explore to get to the answer are too enormous to ever be processed by classical computers.

IBM also announced the release of a new API for the IBM Quantum Experience that enables developers and programmers to begin building interfaces between its existing five quantum bit (qubit) cloud-based quantum computer and classical computers, without needing a deep background in quantum physics.
And, also announced the release of an upgraded simulator on the IBM Quantum Experience that can model circuits with up to 20 qubits. In the first half of 2017, IBM plans to release a full SDK (Software Development Kit) on the IBM Quantum Experience for users to build simple quantum applications and software programs.

The IBM Quantum Experience enables anyone to connect to IBM’s quantum processor via the IBM Cloud, to run algorithms and experiments, work with the individual quantum bits, and explore tutorials and simulations around what might be possible with quantum computing.

IBM Q systems will be designed to tackle problems that are currently seen as too complex and exponential in nature for classical computing systems to handle. One of the first and most promising applications for quantum computing will be in the area of chemistry. Even for simple molecules like caffeine, the number of quantum states in the molecule can be astoundingly large – so large that all the conventional computing memory and processing power scientists could ever build could not handle the problem.
Not to take away from what you posted, but to simply add on is a link to the complete article which just came out:

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/03/ib ... e.html?m=1

Another use for this computer will be in weather forecasting.

One more article:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/press ... /51740.wss

PhilX
osgart

Post by osgart »

instead of 0 and 1, and only two states which is the conventional computer you have 4 states possible simultaneously. 0 1,1 1,1 0,0 0. thus by algorithms you can finesse the computer to have exponentially far higher computational capacity at a quicker rate.

instead of going book by book at a library with conventional computer you can check all books in the world instantaneously for a search result using quantum computers
10 to the 80th times faster is the quantum computer.

Dwave I believe is only 50 qubits and only works for short time periods.

It's about ten years away for an effective quantum computer. it needs cold vacuum to operate.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Obvious Leo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:32 pm Have you read David Deutsch's work on this subject?
Just in case it is useful to this discussion, here is a link to an interview with David Deutsch that we published in Philosophy Now a few years ago, on the topic of quantum computing. The interviewer was Filiz Peach.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/30/David_Deutsch

Also an intro I wrote to go with the interview:
https://philosophynow.org/issues/30/The ... id_Deutsch

And a review a few years later by Alistair Macfarlane of David Deutsch's book The Beginning of Infinity:
https://philosophynow.org/issues/89/The ... id_Deutsch
Philosophy Explorer

There are many articles in the press about quantum computers. What has created confusion is there are different types of quantum computers. There is D-Wave's annealing quantum computer that MIT's expert, Scott Aronson, says is no better than a supercomputer (even though companies pay $15 million for D-Wave's computer). Then there are universal quantum computers which are due to come out later this year or early next year and are what are understood to be meant by quantum computer. And there are topological quantum computers which are due to be out in the next 50-100 years (I have no further details on these types of quantum computers).

Problems that are currently unsolvable are expected to be solved by these computers. Better weather forecasting and better climate prediction are among many uses planned for this technology.

PhilX