The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

davidm

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by davidm »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am
davidm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am
Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:03 am
"If" ?

Wrong again.

Since, or because. Not, if.
You haven't answered the question. What Darwin's doubts do you advise that we study? Please be specific.
Not we.

You.

You're the expert. What doubts has your critical mind discovered in your parroting, if any?
Are you drunk? What "Darwin's doubts" do you advise we study? You are the one who advised we study such doubts. Please tell us what they are so that we can study them.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am
Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 amYou're the expert.
Actually, it is you that claims to have some knowledge. It is for you to demonstrate the source. If you can't do that, you are not even parroting, you are just making stuff up.
Wrong. I speak of the principle. Real scientists have doubts, which btw is also why climatatologists without doubts are imposters.
Walker

Post by Walker »

davidm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 am
Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am
davidm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

You haven't answered the question. What Darwin's doubts do you advise that we study? Please be specific.
Not we.

You.

You're the expert. What doubts has your critical mind discovered in your parroting, if any?
Are you drunk? What "Darwin's doubts" do you advise we study? You are the one who advised we study such doubts. Please tell us what they are so that we can study them.
You're rather thick, aren't you.

Not we.

You.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 am
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am
Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 amYou're the expert.
Actually, it is you that claims to have some knowledge. It is for you to demonstrate the source. If you can't do that, you are not even parroting, you are just making stuff up.
Wrong. I speak of the principle. Real scientists have doubts, which btw is also why climatologists without doubts are imposters.

(Edited)
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 amReal scientists have doubts...
That's just 'no true Scotsman'. If that is how you choose to define a scientist, that is entirely your prerogative, but as davidm has pointed out, that rules out Einstein:
davidm wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:16 pmA good anecdotal example of why we should reject Popperian falsificationism goes back to Einstein (as so many things do). In 1919 an experimental test of his general relativity was about to be conducted. Einstein was asked what he would say if the results of the experiment failed to support his theory. He replied: "Then I would feel sorry for the good Lord.  The theory is correct."

That’s the spirit! 8)
There is no requirement that scientists doubt their theories, in my view, there are plenty of others that will do that for them. The most that is required is that they accept that there may be future observations that will compel them to modify, if not abandon, the model they are familiar with. Even that is not necessarily an impediment to good science; as Max Planck noted: “A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”
Whatever you think science should be, it isn't how science actually works.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:...
Not we.

You.
No, "we" is correct.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: ... which btw is also why climatatologists without doubts are imposters.
:lol: The full ticket!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: He never heard of it. ...
:lol: Of course he hasn't. :roll:
The misquote is yet further confirmation that youse twoins hear what you need to hear.
And your third person that you are a loon.
PauloL

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by PauloL »

uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am So, if I understand you correctly, you "don't doubt evolution occurs", but you "think natural selection is a flawed theory". Fair enough; do you have abetter one?
No I don't. I have some ideas, but which might work for beings with external fecundation and less complex ones only, not for those with internal fecundation, but it's an essay only.
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am[...]
I pass the part on epistemology as Darwinism's circularity is enough, no need to discuss further science foundations.
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am As I keep saying, biology isn't my field and I have no idea what mitochondrial endosymbiosis is. Couple of things though. Firstly: why is mitochondrial endosymbiosis in opposition to natural selection? Again; what is your better theory? By what mechanism do you explain mito-thingummybob?
Secondly; the fact that anyone accepts an hypothesis because it "makes sense" is never a good sign. More often than not, it simply means they mangled it into a shape they can hammer into their own world-view.
Yes, it does if you have enough scientific education.
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am How? What is your better explanation?
My explanations are on previous posts. You're invited to read them.
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 amThis smacks of an appeal to authority. I think you are assuming a great deal of psychology, by proclaiming that it can back up your interpretation. I rather think psychology might have more success explaining why you interpret things as you do.
If you so say.
uwot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 amPauloL, I may have missed it, in which case by all means direct me to it, but where is your exposition of your alternative to natural selection? How, in your view, does evolution work if not by natural selection?
I answered before.
Last edited by PauloL on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Look at a typical philosophical argumentation by a Darwinian (I withheld author for protection):

«At this point I can't tell whether you are a liar or an idiot. No matter; you are boring. Go troll elsewhere.»

Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:00 am
Walker wrote: He never heard of it. ...
:lol: Of course he hasn't. :roll:
The misquote is yet further confirmation that youse twoins hear what you need to hear.
And your third person that you are a loon.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Sigh. So twue, Al. So twue.

If the acolyte has something to say about me, say it to me, not a third person such as yourself.

(Oh, the irony)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Then they should have been great minds.
Sigh. So twue, Al. So twue.
Still, I think Darwin would have agreed.
If the acolyte has something to say about me, say it to me, not a third person such as yourself.

(Oh, the irony)
Still waiting to hear from you O' 'Great spirit' what Darwin's doubts were?
Walker

Post by Walker »

If you focus, the reasoning may, just may, cease to zoom over the noggin, Einstein.

But you are beginning to see the light.

I'll venture a prediction: "What reasoning?"

:lol:
davidm

Post by davidm »

PauloL wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm Look at a typical philosophical argumentation by a Darwinian (I withheld author for protection):

«At this point I can't tell whether you are a liar or an idiot. No matter; you are boring. Go troll elsewhere.»
Let's not overlook the fact that I have already answered your questions in great detail, with a fair bit of (unpaid) effort on my part, only to have you fail to respond to what I wrote while continuing to parrot your thick-headed, religiously inspired nonsense like the Jesus-besotted loon that you are. And nobody anymore is a "Darwinian," you mushwit. Evolutionary biology has advanced far beyond his original findings.

Here's an idea: Why don't you actually go to school and acquire an education? :shock:
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm
Let's not overlook the fact that I have already answered your questions in great detail, with a fair bit of (unpaid) effort on my part, only to have you fail to respond to what I wrote while continuing to parrot your thick-headed, religiously inspired nonsense like the Jesus-besotted loon that you are. And nobody anymore is a "Darwinian," you mushwit. Evolutionary biology has advanced far beyond his original findings.

Here's an idea: Why don't you actually go to school and acquire an education? :shock:

Look at another typical argumentation by a Darwinian in a thread titled "The Theory of Evolution - perfect?". If you say it's perfect they slap on your back, but if say in your opinion it isn't you're subject of vilification. They're also corrupt and ask for money as you can see.

Hopefully, my argumentation is enough spread in the thread so that members may judge for themselves.