The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PauloL

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by PauloL »

Londoner wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:04 pm Prepared? No! But I will look it up.
Cool, I'm sure you'll like it a lot.

Hemoglobin gene is the most precious pearl and best guarded of all Evolutionomics and tons of ink have been spent discussing it.

I'll do it tomorrow. Too late now.

I hope I haven't forgotten any member with concrete comments.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

:lol: How unexpected. A religious nut who ignores awkward questions.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Can't wait to hear the creationist argument that the hemoglobin gene somehow refutes evolution from the non-creationist! :roll: :lol:
davidm

Post by davidm »

PauloL wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm
I hope I haven't forgotten any member with concrete comments.
You've failed to concretely or even coherently respond to every post I've written.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm Were you there?
The same can be said about the Bible and the YEC's, "Were you there", and they will answer that they had an eye witness to the events, which is to say, No. Their "eye witness" is reported in the Bible which states that it is true, therefore circular. And being circular doesn't prove that it is true or not, it doesn't prove anything.
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 pm 'Theory' of evolution is a misleading term and open to abuse by religious nutters. Evolution isn't a theory, it just 'is'. You might as well say the 'theory of life', or the 'theory of colour'. The only 'theory' part is in some of the fine details of this change over time that we refer to as 'evolution'.
I'd say it is a fact and a theory. Evolution is routinely observed to occur (fact). The theory (explanatory model with predictive and retrodictive power) explains the fact. Some models (Lamarckism) fail to explain the data. The current theory best explains the observed data.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

davidm wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 pm 1. The Cambrian "Explosion" is not a problem for evolution.

2. Natural selection and genetic drift, along with sexual selection, do not "explain" evolution; they are evolution.

3. Hemoglobin gene ... Hmm! What will we be treated to this time? "'Evidence" from the Answers in Genesis website? :lol:
1. The Cambrian explosion is as much a consequence of the deposition of the record as it is a reflection of evolution itself.

2. They are the how. Evolution is the effect.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:17 pm The Cambrian explosion
Damned terrorists!
davidm

Post by davidm »

Cambrianist terrorists! Donald Trump will wipe them out!
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm The creator of the video ingeniously converted units of time into units of space. Specifically, he reconceived the history of the earth, 4.6 billion years, as the distance between Los Angeles and New York City — 2,450 miles. IOW, “today” is New York City, and the earth was formed 2,450 miles “ago.”
That's highly ingenious indeed. I've seen it as watches, calendars and so on. But converting it to a nice trip is something new.
davidm wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm Nothing much of any interest happens until 324 miles “ago” — when history’s timeline is in Pennsylvania! This is when multicellular organisms first emerged. That it took so staggeringly long for this to happen suggests that it was an extremely unlikely occurrence, and possibly purely an accident not involving selection. It’s only when these organisms arose that that power of natural selection kicked in.
Well, the first microorganisms are believed to have lived 3.77 to 4.28 billion years ago. Isn't this something of much interest? So, the trip is just 170 to 440 miles after the beginning... Isn't that fantastic? If that trip lasted 24H, it'd be just 4H20 after beginning at most.

Also, the Cambrian explosion took a little less than 11 miles, or just 6 minutes. Isn't natural selection so powerful? All 36 animal fila, except one, created in just 6 minutes...

Here's the source about earliest microorganisms, from Nature (not a youtube video):

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 21377.html
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

PauloL wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 pm All 36 animal fila, except one, created in just 6 minutes...
That's quicker than God did it.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Eleven miles (six minutes) is plenty of time for evolution to do all sorts of stuff, given that evolution is happening every minute of every day.

ETA: Keep in mind that on this timeline, modern humans evolved just 570 feet ago -- a LOT less than eleven miles.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Time lines are deceptive, they make it seem like it took a short time when it actually took a very long time.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

davidm wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 pm
Given that evolution is happening every minute of every day it's perplexing that you jump from elementary life to virtually all Animalia fila in 6 minutes, that is, almost all work done.

Humans show up just near the end = 570 feet! =. Just in time.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

thedoc wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 am
Evolutionauts use time lines. Now they even use routes that cross the USA.

Yes, it's quite small time producing all 36 animal fila, except one, in 6 minutes. Really.

What a success for an random process dependent further on trial and error by natural selection.