The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Arising_uk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Greylorn Ell wrote:The evolution of biological life forms is a fact, not a theory. The evidence is real. Dinosaur bones, trilobite fossils, even holes left by worms two or three billion years ago, all fairly well dated to times that we do not know much about because we were not on this planet back then. ...
True, but in the main these things supported the geological idea for an incredibly old Earth.
Darwinism is the name of a theory purported to explain the fact of evolution. ...
Not so, the Theory of Evolution is the theory that purports to explain the above findings.
Evolution is not debatable. However, Darwinism is the stupidest pseudo-scientific theory ever invented, even sillier than phlogiston theory or Aristotelian physics (which declared that heavier objects must fall faster than light objects).
It's not pseudo-science, like your Beon Theory, but just a scientific hypothesis in Biology that so far has proved its worth and has led to Biology now becoming an Engineering subject(apologies to the molecular biologists out there).
Darwinism's success is due only to its superiority over an even more absurd theory: the 6-day creationism promoted by Bible thumpers, led by nitwits like a Pope who thinks that heaven exists, and your dogs, cats, and pet hamsters will follow you there to be happy forever without you or them doing squat to earn it.
No, its success was due to it allowing Biology to become more than a taxonomy.
Evolution theories are a shitting contest, biggest turd vs. smelliest turd. Choosing between them is the job of turd connoisseurs. Which is better-- horse apples or cow pies?
What 'evolution theories'?
My opinion reflects that of the dung beetle: Both of the major theories stink, so that I can easily find them, and roll them up into little shit-balls to feed my offspring.
Which major theories?

Greylorn Ell
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: SE Arizona

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Greylorn Ell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:36 am

thedoc wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote: You could not be more wrong. A person smarter than you can tell you to fuck off.
Look:"fuck off!", see how easy that was?
Now crawl back under your stone.
LM, I believe you'll do much better with a more articulated intellectual response. Try taking your time, with a breather after reading ones smite. To collect your strategy.

I guess some people just enjoy poking the Idiot with a stick, SOB and Greylorn, shame on you.

Doc,
Without some applications of paddles and feet to my naive little ass, bare knuckled fists to my pimpled face, etc. I'd be as dimwitted as you. The mind is not a stick, except perhaps to those whose easiest access is to sticks.

Take an honest look at your comments. You don't have the balls to pick up a stick (metaphor for angry mind) of your own. But you'll happily thrust the sticks that others have already wielded, a little bit deeper-- then exculpate yourself from doing so by a presumptive "shame on you" to them.

What a smarmy, pseudo-intellectual little pirck you are!

Greylorn

Greylorn Ell
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: SE Arizona

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Greylorn Ell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:59 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote:
Darwinism is the name of a theory purported to explain the fact of evolution. ...
Not so, the Theory of Evolution is the theory that purports to explain the above findings.
AUK,

The biological evolution of life, over a period of approximately 3 billion years, is not a theory. It is a fact, determined by responsible scientific investigations.

Theories are mental constructs designed to explain facts, evidence, etc.

Religionists constructed a theory that essentially denies the facts. That's their problem. But the evidence of biological evolution still requires (for those who care about such things) an explanation.

Neo-Darwinism is the theory, originated by Charles Darwin and slightly tweaked by subsequent theorists, that purports to explain the evolution of biological life.

Except in the minds of nitwits, there is no "theory of evolution." How can there be a theory about something that is a fact? Biological evolution is a fact, like gravity.

We don't talk about "the theory of gravity," because most people are intelligent enough to realize that gravity is a reality, not a theory. The few of us who've pursued this subject a little deeper than the turds in their toilet bowl are conscious enough to recognize that since we do not understand gravity, there are theories about the nature of this force. (e.g. general relativity. Don't bother trying to comprehend it.)

So, General Relativity is a theory that tries to explain the reality of gravity. Likewise, Darwinism is a theory that tries to explain the reality of biological evolution. Do you get it yet?

Greylorn

P.S. OK. I knew that you would not.

Greylorn Ell
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: SE Arizona

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Greylorn Ell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:04 am

Lev Muishkin wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:i think this says it all.
SoB and the other drongos of the thread are right down there with the pond yeast and other Turkeys.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... 29204.html
How old are you, with your name calling and condescension? Such a child, you at least portray! An intellectual, a philosopher, you surely don't sound like.
Even an old man can tell a moron to fuck off.

"FUCK OFF"
Thank you for the brilliant insight and thoughtful riposte.

If you do not know what the words brilliant, insight, thoughtful, and riposte actually mean, you can examine their meanings via the internet.

When is your 16th birthday coming up? I'd like to send you a congratulatory notice.

Greylorn

User avatar
SpheresOfBalance
Posts: 5061
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Location: On a Metamorphic Elemental

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by SpheresOfBalance » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:32 am

Arising_uk wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Yours was printed when? What's the copyright date? There is a point contained in these questions of course.
Mine is the 1996 reprint of the 1859 second edition. What's yours?
You should pay attention, I've already said I don't have one.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Arising_uk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:23 pm

SpheresOfBalance wrote:You should pay attention, I've already said I don't have one.
Then my original reply to your statement stands. So if you want a copy of the original theory you can buy one at any reputable bookstore and actually read what all the fuss is about.

User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Lev Muishkin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Greylorn Ell wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: How old are you, with your name calling and condescension? Such a child, you at least portray! An intellectual, a philosopher, you surely don't sound like.
Even an old man can tell a moron to fuck off.

"FUCK OFF"
Thank you for the brilliant insight and thoughtful riposte.

If you do not know what the words brilliant, insight, thoughtful, and riposte actually mean, you can examine their meanings via the internet.

When is your 16th birthday coming up? I'd like to send you a congratulatory notice.

Greylorn
My 16th Birthday was in 1976 about the same time I read Origin of Species and the New Testaments from cover to cover for the first time.

But you can now read all of Darwin's works free online. I suggest you try it sometime , and get your stupid head out of the Bible for 2 minutes - you might learn something about the world in which we live.

http://darwin-online.org.uk

Darwin spent his life studying the world in ways that the writers of the Bible did not and could not. Not only because most of them never left their own villages; not only because they were urbanites; not only because they lacked the scope and imagination; but because they were not interested in truth about the natural world - they only had interest in the petty lives of humans, and prayed on their own fears and ignorances.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by Arising_uk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Greylorn Ell wrote:AUK,

The biological evolution of life, over a period of approximately 3 billion years, is not a theory. It is a fact, determined by responsible scientific investigations.
Sure, they're called Biologists and in the main they all ascribe to Darwins basic explanation.
Theories are mental constructs designed to explain facts, evidence, etc.
Sure but 'mental constructs' adds little.
Religionists constructed a theory that essentially denies the facts. That's their problem. But the evidence of biological evolution still requires (for those who care about such things) an explanation.
No it doesn't, you appear to keep confusing theories for abogenesis with the theory of the evolution of species. Now it is true that the biologists have no clear explanation for how life was first created but you keep stating that they have no theories but they do and the best contender is an RNA world.
Neo-Darwinism is the theory, originated by Charles Darwin and slightly tweaked by subsequent theorists, that purports to explain the evolution of biological life.
Not quite, The Theory of the Evolution of Species is the theory originated by Darwin, Neo-Darwinism(ND) can be applied to his idea of just Natural Selection but on the whole ND is Darwin's theory plus Mendal's genetics.
Except in the minds of nitwits, there is no "theory of evolution." How can there be a theory about something that is a fact? Biological evolution is a fact, like gravity.
It was a theory because it explained the evolution of species based upon ideas of geological time from the geologists, the fossil evidence and observable variation in both natural and domestic animals.
We don't talk about "the theory of gravity," because most people are intelligent enough to realize that gravity is a reality, not a theory. The few of us who've pursued this subject a little deeper than the turds in their toilet bowl are conscious enough to recognize that since we do not understand gravity, there are theories about the nature of this force. (e.g. general relativity. Don't bother trying to comprehend it.)
I have a fair lay idea of what GR says is the reason gravity existsand a better idea about SR as I've read his book for the lay person. But you are wrong as scientists do have competing theories about gravity, so the GR's think it curved space-time, the QMers think it gravitons, et al, and the string theorists think it little strings.
So, General Relativity is a theory that tries to explain the reality of gravity. Likewise, Darwinism is a theory that tries to explain the reality of biological evolution. Do you get it yet?
More than you I suspect as I've studied the Philosophy of Science.
Greylorn

P.S. OK. I knew that you would not.
Talking to yourself as usual.

VladP
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:41 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by VladP » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

The Greylorn Ell’s statement: “Darwinism is the stupidest pseudo-scientific theory ever invented, even sillier than phlogiston theory or Aristotelian physics…” (Dec 13, 2014) made me feel absolutely astounded. Indeed, in the eyes of a systems analyst and convinced evolutionist, the current Darwinism, known as Modern (still “modern” being almost 8 decades old) Synthesis, looks like an incoherent agglomerate of absurdities and inanities. It is hardly believable that, in the second decade of the XXI century, such a codswallop – for instance, see luxurious editions like Douglas Futuyma’s Evolution or The Princeton Guide to Evolution, 2014, – may prosper under the high roof of the academic science. A shame.

davidm
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by davidm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:33 pm

The biological evolution of life, over a period of approximately 3 billion years, is not a theory. It is a fact, determined by responsible scientific investigations.
Mostly right. About 3.6 billion years, but whatever. Also, evolution is a theory and a fact. The theory explains the fact.
Theories are mental constructs designed to explain facts, evidence, etc.
Mostly right.
Religionists constructed a theory that essentially denies the facts.
Some have done this, some have not.
That's their problem. But the evidence of biological evolution still requires (for those who care about such things) an explanation.
Ermm? The explanation is called “the theory of evolution.”
Neo-Darwinism is the theory, originated by Charles Darwin and slightly tweaked by subsequent theorists, that purports to explain the evolution of biological life.
Partially right. It’s been far more than “slightly tweaked,” but whatever.
Except in the minds of nitwits, there is no "theory of evolution."
Ermm? You just contradicted yourself!
How can there be a theory about something that is a fact?
Are you nuts? All theories try to explain facts. You yourself said that just above!
Biological evolution is a fact, like gravity.
Thanks for sharing.
We don't talk about "the theory of gravity" …
We don’t?
…because most people are intelligent enough to realize that gravity is a reality, not a theory.
Are you trolling? Or are you really just this stupid? Like evolution, gravity is a fact that is explained by a theory. So it’s both a fact and a theory. As you yourself wrote in this very post to which I am wasting my time by responding!
The few of us who've pursued this subject a little deeper …
That would be you? :lol:
… than the turds in their toilet bowl are conscious enough to recognize that since we do not understand gravity, there are theories about the nature of this force. (e.g. general relativity. Don't bother trying to comprehend it.)
Sorry you are too stupid to comprehend the theory of general relativity that explains the fact of gravity. But here again, you contradict yourself –- earlier you admitted that theories explain facts, and then you denied what you said –- i.e, you have contradicted yourself.
So, General Relativity is a theory that tries to explain the reality of gravity. Likewise, Darwinism is a theory that tries to explain the reality of biological evolution. Do you get it yet?
Uh, yeah. We get it. Then why did you say, “there is no theory of evolution”? Why did you say, “We don’t talk about the theory of gravity”?

What is actually wrong with you?

thedoc
Posts: 6246
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfect?

Post by thedoc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Greylorn Ell wrote:
Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:59 am
Theories are mental constructs designed to explain facts, evidence, etc.

Except in the minds of nitwits, there is no "theory of evolution." How can there be a theory about something that is a fact? Biological evolution is a fact, like gravity.

We don't talk about "the theory of gravity," because most people are intelligent enough to realize that gravity is a reality, not a theory. The few of us who've pursued this subject a little deeper than the turds in their toilet bowl are conscious enough to recognize that since we do not understand gravity, there are theories about the nature of this force. (e.g. general relativity. Don't bother trying to comprehend it.)

Likewise, Darwinism is a theory that tries to explain the reality of biological evolution. Do you get it yet?

Greylorn
You are confusing the Lay persons definition of a theory and a scientists use of the word theory. To a lay person a theory is an unsubstantiated guess or hunch. To a scientist a theory is a collection of proven facts, a scientific theory explains scientific facts.

BTW, scientists regularly talk about and speculate about the theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, quantum theory, etc, I don't believe that many scientists are nitwits.

There is no such thing as "Darwinism" except to creationists who are trying to discredit Darwin, it's the "Theory of evolution" by Charles Darwin.

Walker
Posts: 4080
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by Walker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 am

thedoc wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm
You are confusing the Lay persons definition of a theory and a scientists use of the word theory. To a lay person a theory is an unsubstantiated guess or hunch. To a scientist a theory is a collection of proven facts, a scientific theory explains scientific facts.

BTW, scientists regularly talk about and speculate about the theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, quantum theory, etc, I don't believe that many scientists are nitwits.

There is no such thing as "Darwinism" except to creationists who are trying to discredit Darwin, it's the "Theory of evolution" by Charles Darwin.
Evolution is not a scientific law because evolution has merely been inferred and not observed.

Newton’s law of gravitation is not a theory.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by Arising_uk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 am

Walker wrote:Evolution is not a scientific law because evolution has merely been inferred and not observed. ...
Evolution observed

Walker
Posts: 4080
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by Walker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 am
Walker wrote:Evolution is not a scientific law because evolution has merely been inferred and not observed. ...
Evolution observed
Why is evolution a scientific theory and not a scientific law?

Just because science gives itself the wide latitude to define any genetic change as evolution, does not mean that the inference of a common ancestor for different species is correct, as this common ancestor is merely an inference made into a theory with supporting rationale.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The Theory of Evolution - perfct?

Post by Arising_uk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Walker wrote:Why is evolution a scientific theory and not a scientific law?
You think the 'laws' of Physics cannot change? But I'd say it is a theory because the 'laws' apply to non-living things and not living ones.
Just because science gives itself the wide latitude to define any genetic change as evolution, does not mean that the inference of a common ancestor for different species is correct, as this common ancestor is merely an inference made into a theory with supporting rationale.
Not 'science' but Biology and more than an inference as DNA and the fusing of chromosomes shows but then I take it that you are a godbotherer who does not accept the idea in the first place.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests