Does Billy Graham Actually Write His Newspaper Columns?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: Does Billy Graham Actually Write His Newspaper Columns?

Post by bobevenson »

John wrote:Billy Graham has actually played to some pretty big audiences over here. In 1955 he got 90,000 at Hampden stadium in Glasgow and in 1991 he, ironically, sold out Celtic Park also in Glasgow. I say ironically because Celtic Park is the home of Glasgow's football team with a predominantly Catholic support.
Arising_uk's knowledge is limited to her neighborhood.
John

Post by John »

But he does know what godbotherer means.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

John wrote:But he does know what godbotherer means.
First of all, John, I am not aware of he/she ever confirming his/her gender. He/she has implied being a woman, and an exceedingly dumb one at that, but maybe you have more information on this issue than I. Secondly, I have not come across the term "godbotherer" anywhere at all, only "god botherer." So, my friend, how can anybody know the meaning of a word that doesn't even exist except in his own deluded mind?
John

Post by John »

bobevenson wrote:
John wrote:But he does know what godbotherer means.
First of all, John, I am not aware of he/she ever confirming his/her gender. He/she has implied being a woman, and an exceedingly dumb one at that, but maybe you have more information on this issue than I.
I have no idea what gender Arising is but I thought he had indicated he was male. May be my memory playing up though but either way it's hardly important.
bobevenson wrote:Secondly, I have not come across the term "godbotherer" anywhere at all, only "god botherer." So, my friend, how can anybody know the meaning of a word that doesn't even exist except in his own deluded mind?
And it never occurred to you that the terms "godbotherer" and "god botherer" might in fact be the same thing? And to think you deciphered all that meaning from Revelation without the ability to spot the difference between two words and another word that is made from putting the original two together.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

First of all, gender is extremely important to me because of my well-known genteelocity (see, I can make up words, too!). Secondly, since god botherer isn't a word found in the dictiionary, one would assume that it meant somebody who bothers God, which is incorrect, but only a limey would know that.
John

Post by John »

bobevenson wrote:since god botherer isn't a word found in the dictiionary, one would assume that it meant somebody who bothers God, which is incorrect
Actually, that is what it means.

It is derived from the incessant desire to pray and to encourage others to pray and as praying is considered to be communicating with God it's the religious equivalent of a friend who insists on phoning you every time you settle down to watch a movie, get friendly with your latest date or do anything else more interesting than talking to them. Hence, bothering God makes you a godbotherer (or god botherer if you insist).
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

John wrote:
bobevenson wrote:since god botherer isn't a word found in the dictiionary, one would assume that it meant somebody who bothers God, which is incorrect
Actually, that is what it means.

It is derived from the incessant desire to pray and to encourage others to pray and as praying is considered to be communicating with God it's the religious equivalent of a friend who insists on phoning you every time you settle down to watch a movie, get friendly with your latest date or do anything else more interesting than talking to them. Hence, bothering God makes you a godbotherer (or god botherer if you insist).
Let me explain it one more time to you. God bothering is not about bothering God, but about bothering other people with your views on God. Is that sufficiently clear (I mean until the next time you make a stupid comment on the subject)?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:... God bothering is not about bothering God, but about bothering other people with your views on God. Is that sufficiently clear (I mean until the next time you make a stupid comment on the subject)?
Not the way I use it and its one word, "godbotherer", i.e. someone who bothers their 'god' with their incessant belief or beliefs in it. :D
Last edited by Arising_uk on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Post by John »

bobevenson wrote:Let me explain it one more time to you. God bothering is not about bothering God, but about bothering other people with your views on God. Is that sufficiently clear (I mean until the next time you make a stupid comment on the subject)?
So you've gone from not knowing what it means to being an expert :lol:

From The Urban Dictionary
2. God Botherer

A person who bothers poor old God too much with their excessive annoying devotion.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Arising_uk's knowledge is limited to her neighborhood.
:lol: Yanks and their gender fixation! What a sad bunch of men you are.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:... God bothering is not about bothering God, but about bothering other people with your views on God. Is that sufficiently clear (I mean until the next time you make a stupid comment on the subject)?
Not the way I use it and its one word, "godbotherer", i.e. someone who bothers their 'god' with their incessant belief or beliefs in it. :D
Oh, I get it, you use a non-standard word construction with a non-standard meaning. If that's not jacking off somebody's mind, I don't know what is!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Oh, I get it, you use a non-standard word construction with a non-standard meaning. If that's not jacking off somebody's mind, I don't know what is!
I've already told you, to the best of mine and my friends knowledge I thought it up for myself a few decades back. Still, can't blame the Yank as English is their trade language. But amazed how you flip your positions, i.e. denying you understand the meaning and then not and now its a 'non-standard' word is it? What does it matter as long as you understood its meaning, which you apparently did and as such you can stop whinging about my usage of it when referring to you and your godbothering.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Oh, I get it, you use a non-standard word construction with a non-standard meaning. If that's not jacking off somebody's mind, I don't know what is!
I've already told you, to the best of mine and my friends knowledge I thought it up for myself a few decades back. Still, can't blame the Yank as English is their trade language. But amazed how you flip your positions, i.e. denying you understand the meaning and then not and now its a 'non-standard' word is it? What does it matter as long as you understood its meaning, which you apparently did and as such you can stop whinging about my usage of it when referring to you and your godbothering.
Again, it's not one word, it's two words, and based on what John has posted, it apparently can mean either bothering God (I can just picture a God being bothered by anything!) or bothering people about God. That's absolutely schizophrenic, but certainly appropriate for anybody using the term, and a damn good reason for it not being in American dictionaries!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Arising_uk wrote:
Tell the idiot that 'bible basher' is not someone who bashes bibles.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

chaz wyman wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:
Tell the idiot that 'bible basher' is not someone who bashes bibles.
You're starting to talk dumber than that he/she.