Religious lies. Why do we knowingly accept them?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

People, I hope, are not foolish or gullible enough to really believe in the talking serpent and donkey of the bible nor the 72 virgins ot the Qur’an. I also hope their gullibility is not broad enough to have them swallow all the other supernatural ideas floated by religions. The ancients intelligently knew that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Modern priests, preachers and imams ignore the unknowability of the supernatural constantly while lying to us about the Gods.

I do not want to believe that we are as gullible as some people seem to be.

Why then do you think we knowingly pay and suport priests, preachers and imams, perpetual liars in my view, to lie to us?

Regards
DL
GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Religious lies. Why do we knowingly accept them?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

well for starters, most of the major religions depicted a flood event, also, penn and teller say jesus was real, kind of hard to disprove some of the bible.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 am well for starters, most of the major religions depicted a flood event, also, penn and teller say jesus was real, kind of hard to disprove some of the bible.
The literalness of the bible disproves itself, --- unless you believe in talking serpents and donkeys.

It is not to us to disprove the bible. It is to theists to prove they are correct.

Right?

If a boy cries wolf, it is to him to show the tracks or the scat. It is not to the rest of the town to show that the wolf was never there. Showing that negative is impossible. A logical fallacy.

Regards
DL
osgart

Post by osgart »

They are addicted to alternative realities, even though it's just fantasy. They are addicted to having answers to every ultimate question. They want eternal life very badly, that they forsake objective reality. They insulate themselves from reality as it is. They desperately want significance.
They come from situations of despair.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm Religious lies. Why do we knowingly accept them?

Because they/we identify with the wrong 'I'

We've all got two 'I''s ..one is real the other is a phantom.

The hard part or not so hard part is working out which one is which.

Dualistically speaking of course.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

osgart wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:42 am They are addicted to alternative realities, even though it's just fantasy. They are addicted to having answers to every ultimate question. They want eternal life very badly, that they forsake objective reality. They insulate themselves from reality as it is. They desperately want significance.
They come from situations of despair.
I agree and would add that they are slave to their tribal instincts and have succumbed to peer pressure.

I think they are to be pitied even if it is true that their happiness and life levels are a bit higher than non-believers.

If the stats that show that are correct.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:19 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm Religious lies. Why do we knowingly accept them?

Because they/we identify with the wrong 'I'

We've all got two 'I''s ..one is real the other is a phantom.

The hard part or not so hard part is working out which one is which.

Dualistically speaking of course.
You would think that the mainstream religions like Christianity and Islam, --- having to grow by the sword instead of good moral arguments, --- would have them easily discern which "I" is the better one.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

It is your own understanding that is the cause of the problem. After all, a religious lie is the sort of thing that has its reach into something that does not lend itself to examination, that is, at its core. It is the kind of thing that carries metaphysical value that redeems. The matter really goes to the need for redemption, not whether it is true or not that, say, Jesus was the sin of God. Kierkegaard defends this kind of thing very well in Concluding Unscientific Postscripts: the explicit idea is only incidental to the revelation of inner religiosity that is in play in such a belief.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

odysseus wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:55 am It is your own understanding that is the cause of the problem.
Indeed. I cannot understand how anyone can intentionally put their minds into intellectual and moral dissonance.

Regards
DL
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

"Those who say, don't know, and those who know, Don't say". It's just as true inside of religion as outside.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 am "Those who say, don't know, and those who know, Don't say". It's just as true inside of religion as outside.
What you are saying is that we do not love each other enough to care enough about each others poor thinking to correct each other.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

No wonder it is taking so long for us to civilize each other.

Regards
DL
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

People, I hope, are not foolish or gullible enough to really believe in the talking serpent and donkey of the bible nor the 72 virgins ot the Qur’an. I also hope their gullibility is not broad enough to have them swallow all the other supernatural ideas floated by religions. The ancients intelligently knew that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

Modern priests, preachers and imams ignore the unknowability of the supernatural constantly while lying to us about the Gods.

Why then do you think we knowingly pay and suport priests, preachers and imams, perpetual liars in my view, to lie to us?

Regards
DL
The craziness of 'belief only' came first. Mankind has finally evolved to understand knowledge through science, but we are nowhere near it's completion, 'knowledge only'. In the middle between 'belief only' and 'knowledge only' there is a mixture of both belief and knowledge, this is where we are today. Not that I'm saying that I 'know' we are exactly at the mid point, how could I, as the end of the quest is yet unknown.

Due to fear, belief serves those that, 'don't yet know,' or, 'refuse to accept,' very well indeed. As it does what it's supposed to do, fill in the gaps of knowledge, thus quelling ones fears.

At least that's where I currently see the human species.

Peace, my friend!
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Regards
DL
The craziness of 'belief only' came first. Mankind has finally evolved to understand knowledge through science, but we are nowhere near it's completion, 'knowledge only'. In the middle between 'belief only' and 'knowledge only' there is a mixture of both belief and knowledge, this is where we are today. Not that I'm saying that I 'know' we are exactly at the mid point, how could I, as the end of the quest is yet unknown.

Due to fear, belief serves those that, 'don't yet know,' or, 'refuse to accept,' very well indeed. As it does what it's supposed to do, fill in the gaps of knowledge, thus quelling ones fears.

Peace, my friend!
Belief due to fear has created homophobic and misogynous religions and immoral Gods who create a lot of fear in gays and women who are all denigrated and discriminated against.

Those husbands and men who live in fear should stop producing fear and injustice in women and gays.

Religions are supposed to be about morality and they are not.

Regards
DL
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Regards
DL

Peace, my friend!
Belief due to fear has created homophobic and misogynous religions and immoral Gods who create a lot of fear in gays and women who are all denigrated and discriminated against.

Those husbands and men who live in fear should stop producing fear and injustice in women and gays.

Religions are supposed to be about morality and they are not.

Regards
DL
I'm with you my friend! In fact we are all equal, and deserve to live our life as peaceful as we intend to make it. Judge not, lest ye be judged! The universe has not described in it's 'user guide' how any life form should live it's life, other than nature's course. We humans on the other hand, for the most part, would prefer to be stewards/shepherds/peace keepers so as to ensure a peaceful and fruitful life. And it should be in any form that is non-destructive to any other form. Balance is key!!!

Does anyone really want to be told how to live their life, which is non-destructive to others that don't agree? NOPE! Of course not! How does another's choice somehow disturb ours? Only if we're prone to be clones!! Everyone, be happy that you're alive, and revel in life’s diversity, trust me it'll come to an end far too soon enough. Enjoy all of it while it lasts. Marvel at the 'why' of things, they'll teach you about us, enlighten your mind, as the truth will always set you free!

Peace, my friend!
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 pm
I'm with you my friend! In fact we are all equal, and deserve to live our life as peaceful as we intend to make it. Judge not, lest ye be judged! The universe has not described in it's 'user guide' how any life form should live it's life, other than nature's course. We humans on the other hand, for the most part, would prefer to be stewards/shepherds/peace keepers so as to ensure a peaceful and fruitful life. And it should be in any form that is non-destructive to any other form. Balance is key!!!

Does anyone really want to be told how to live their life, which is non-destructive to others that don't agree? NOPE! Of course not! How does another's choice somehow disturb ours? Only if we're prone to be clones!! Everyone, be happy that you're alive, and revel in life’s diversity, trust me it'll come to an end far too soon enough. Enjoy all of it while it lasts. Marvel at the 'why' of things, they'll teach you about us, enlighten your mind, as the truth will always set you free!

Peace, my friend!
Thanks for this.

It looks like you have looked within yourself already and have gleaned our human nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Gnosis, to a Gnostic Christian, is what enlightens the mind.

If Christians were happy to be alive, they would not be living in fear for themselves nor would they hold so much hate in their hearts for gays and women.

Regards
DL