How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?
How do you compassionately tell a person who does not believe in the supernatural and who is pathologically obsessed with a need to denigrate those who do, that they are sleepwalking through life?

And that the exquisite design of the so-called “natural” world has them under a “purposely-induced” hypnotic thrall that causes them to believe in the absurd notion that the natural world simply created itself?

You do it compassionately by assuring them that their inability to recognize the truth has nothing to do with stupidity, and has everything to do with the fact that the unthinkable perfection of the illusion laid-out before their senses is so utterly convincing that very few can see past the ruse.
_______
osgart

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by osgart »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:06 pm
osgart wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am Is non locality in physics supernatural, or Schroedingers cat.

Where do you draw the line?
Physics does not try to tell us how to behave. The supernatural Gods do via their delusional followers.

Regards
DL
It's the need for eternal life, and also the indoctrination pressure that leads to the delusion.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

seeds wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?
How do you compassionately tell a person who does not believe in the supernatural and who is pathologically obsessed with a need to denigrate those who do, that they are sleepwalking through life?

And that the exquisite design of the so-called “natural” world has them under a “purposely-induced” hypnotic thrall that causes them to believe in the absurd notion that the natural world simply created itself?

You do it compassionately by assuring them that their inability to recognize the truth has nothing to do with stupidity, and has everything to do with the fact that the unthinkable perfection of the illusion laid-out before their senses is so utterly convincing that very few can see past the ruse.
_______
Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

osgart wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:59 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:06 pm
osgart wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am Is non locality in physics supernatural, or Schroedingers cat.

Where do you draw the line?
Physics does not try to tell us how to behave. The supernatural Gods do via their delusional followers.

Regards
DL
It's the need for eternal life, and also the indoctrination pressure that leads to the delusion.
I agree that theists are self-centered and need to assuage their fears of death as well as either their gullibility or ability to be manipulated by liars.

Nice reply compared to the dick just prior to you and his fear based reply.

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 pm
Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Do theists respect non-theists and their reason and logic.

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Seams not.

Is reciprocity fair play and what should we return insults with?

Regards
DL
Once you have returned the insults, what then?
Sit back and wait to see if the other has as thick a skin as we all should have in his or her reply.

It is said that if you cannot take a bit of insulting, you are not particularly intelligent.

Insults have a place in debates and discussions done in good faith. No?

Is that not why teachers used to use the dunce cap?
Yes, they USED to use the dunce cap - until they found it was a sub-optimal way of promoting learning.
RustyBert

Post by RustyBert »

I learned a long time ago that you can't do what you're asking. They have to come to the conclusion by themselves. And really the conclusion they should hopefully come to is that organized religion is the problem, not Jesus. Moreover that Jesus was just a guy, had many great ideas, some not so. It's ok to like and live by his good ideas, and not his bad. Unfortunately too many Christians are out to convert others or convert the country to Christian Sharia law. So that makes it hard not to "fight back" and try to convert them away from their dangerous ways.

The good news is, history is on our side. Organized religion is slowly melting away, as you can tell by how hard the real right winger christians fight and try to trick others, etc. But that won't stop the big progression towards religion's demise, and the rise of a general sense of loving ALL of humanity. Just need more people to Imagine...
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 pm
Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 pm
Once you have returned the insults, what then?
Sit back and wait to see if the other has as thick a skin as we all should have in his or her reply.

It is said that if you cannot take a bit of insulting, you are not particularly intelligent.

Yes, they USED to use the dunce cap - until they found it was a sub-optimal way of promoting learning.
I will give you that.

What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

RustyBert wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:28 pm I learned a long time ago that you can't do what you're asking. They have to come to the conclusion by themselves. And really the conclusion they should hopefully come to is that organized religion is the problem, not Jesus. Moreover that Jesus was just a guy, had many great ideas, some not so. It's ok to like and live by his good ideas, and not his bad. Unfortunately too many Christians are out to convert others or convert the country to Christian Sharia law. So that makes it hard not to "fight back" and try to convert them away from their dangerous ways.

The good news is, history is on our side. Organized religion is slowly melting away, as you can tell by how hard the real right winger christians fight and try to trick others, etc. But that won't stop the big progression towards religion's demise, and the rise of a general sense of loving ALL of humanity. Just need more people to Imagine...
U C 20/0 on these issues. Nice to see. You write my thoughts but with the eloquence I lack.

I feel a moral pressure to move things along faster due to the homophobia and misogyny that religions preach and that continue to harm and slow the progress of our becoming more civilized and less tribal.

That is a bit of a curse of being a Gnostic Christian but one I would not abdicate.

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

I will give you that.

What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?
Maybe to not bother with them, to deny their irrational ideas the oxygen of attention?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm
I will give you that.

Maybe to not bother with them, to deny their irrational ideas the oxygen of attention?
Is not to bother with them a good application of the Golden Rule?

Do you like to continue thinking poorly on something or do you want to be corrected when you think poorly about something?

What does the Golden Rule tell you to do?

Regards
DL
seeds

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?
Humans turn to the “supernatural” because there is absolutely nothing in the physical construction and makeup of the so-called “natural” world that reveals the reason for its existence.

And so far, the most intensive efforts of methodological naturalism (science) to dissect and decipher the material fabric of reality have yielded nothing in terms of resolving the mystery of the origin of the universe.

Therefore, the optimal way of correcting those who look to the supernatural for a possible explanation is to provide irrefutable evidence for how and why the universe came into being...

...evidence that proves - beyond any doubt – that nothing “above and beyond” the natural-appearing physics of this universe (as in “supernatural”) had anything whatsoever to do with the unfathomable level of order that awakened us into life.

Now if you think that your Gnostic Christianity can do what science has failed to do...

...in other words, if you honestly believe that Gnosticism (sans any reference to the supernatural) can resolve the ultimate mysteries that have confronted humans since humanity began...

...then by all means, I am all ears.

Otherwise, you are just arrogantly and condescendingly trying to push your own elitist and preferred religion onto others – a religion (at least in the way you are presenting it) seems to be nothing more than atheism and materialism couched in Christian rhetoric.
_______
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

seeds wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 am
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?
Humans turn to the “supernatural” because there is absolutely nothing in the physical construction and makeup of the so-called “natural” world that reveals the reason for its existence.

And so far, the most intensive efforts of methodological naturalism (science) to dissect and decipher the material fabric of reality have yielded nothing in terms of resolving the mystery of the origin of the universe.

Therefore, the optimal way of correcting those who look to the supernatural for a possible explanation is to provide irrefutable evidence for how and why the universe came into being...

...evidence that proves - beyond any doubt – that nothing “above and beyond” the natural-appearing physics of this universe (as in “supernatural”) had anything whatsoever to do with the unfathomable level of order that awakened us into life.

Now if you think that your Gnostic Christianity can do what science has failed to do...

...in other words, if you honestly believe that Gnosticism (sans any reference to the supernatural) can resolve the ultimate mysteries that have confronted humans since humanity began...

...then by all means, I am all ears.

Otherwise, you are just arrogantly and condescendingly trying to push your own elitist and preferred religion onto others – a religion (at least in the way you are presenting it) seems to be nothing more than atheism and materialism couched in Christian rhetoric.
_______
Gnostic Christianity is more concerned with making humans better from a moral standpoint and to do that, we need not know how things began.

If you think it is better to believe in supernatural garbage, and end in adoring Yahweh, a genocidal son murdering p****, just to solve a mystery, you show how evil Christianity is and how damaging to a psyche the supernatural is.

Gnostic Christianity is not elitist as it is a Universalist creed. You might want to learn about it if you wish to repair your psyche.

Your fear of the afterlife has corrupted your thinking.

Regards
DL
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pmDo theists respect non-theists and their reason and logic.

Martin Luther.
It's obvious you are a bigot, and painting all theists with the one brush.
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pmSeams not.
It's obvious you are stupid, should have used 'seems' or are you talking about a seams knot?

Also, please explain what you mean by 'supernatural'.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pmDo theists respect non-theists and their reason and logic.

Martin Luther.
It's obvious you are stupid, should have used 'seems' or are you talking about a seams knot?

:D :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bite me.

Regards
DL
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Martin Luther.

:D :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bite me.
Proof of stupidity - replying with a bunch on nonsensical emotis and the lowest form of 'wit':- 'bite me'