How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by Greatest I am »

As you can see by my title, I do not know how.

Scriptures say that to correct is a sign of love. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Most do not see it that way when on the receiving end of that love.

I see correction as love just as the scriptures do. How do you see it and how would you tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Regards
DL
Philosophy Explorer

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Scriptures say that to correct is a sign of love. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

I see correction as love just as the scriptures do. How do you see it and how would you tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Regards
DL
For what reason? Just saying you disagree should be sufficient.

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by -1- »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm 1. How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

2. Scriptures say that to correct is a sign of love. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
Answers:

1. "You're NOT borderline stupid." And leave it at that. Let them figure it out.

2. "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it away from him."

For indeed the road of good intentions are paved by whatever. If forgot the exact wording.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Regards
DL

PhilX 🇺🇸
I think the reason was explained in the latter part of the opening post. "To teach them, to correct them."Apparently, if you tell someone they are deficient in intellectual prowess, then it will automatically increase their intellect. That is the desired purpose, or reason. A correction is made.

For the record, I don't think this is how it works, but hey, I'm just one guy with one opinion.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Regards
DL

PhilX 🇺🇸
Disagreement is not correcting. It just shows another view.

It does not fundamentally ask the interlocutor to rethink his fundamental belief in the supernatural and fantasy realm.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

-1- wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:26 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm 1. How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

2. Scriptures say that to correct is a sign of love. Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
Answers:

1. "You're NOT borderline stupid." And leave it at that. Let them figure it out.

2. "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it away from him."

For indeed the road of good intentions are paved by whatever. If forgot the exact wording.
For evil and poor thinking to continue, all better thinkers need do is, let them figure it out.

Remember that their leaders will promote the poor thinking. Sheeple do not figure things out. They follow whatever is promoted by their cults.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

-1- wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:30 am

Regards
DL

PhilX 🇺🇸
I think the reason was explained in the latter part of the opening post. "To teach them, to correct them."Apparently, if you tell someone they are deficient in intellectual prowess, then it will automatically increase their intellect. That is the desired purpose, or reason. A correction is made.

For the record, I don't think this is how it works, but hey, I'm just one guy with one opinion.
Intellect is not really the issue. It is the application of that intellect.

This link shows the dilemma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6Mr ... re=related

Regards
DL
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?
DL, I am not sure who your future intended audience is:
1. A supernatural person, such as a god or an angel or a unicorn, who incidentally believes something, or
2. A person who believes in the supernatural?

I believe in the supper, naturally. Does that make me a believer in suppernatural?

I also know and believe that my apartment building has a super. He is a natural at it. Does it mean I believe in the natural super or supernatural?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

-1- wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 pm How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?
DL, I am not sure who your future intended audience is:
1. A supernatural person, such as a god or an angel or a unicorn, who incidentally believes something, or
2. A person who believes in the supernatural?

I believe in the supper, naturally. Does that make me a believer in suppernatural?

I also know and believe that my apartment building has a super. He is a natural at it. Does it mean I believe in the natural super or supernatural?
Let me know if you have a worthy reply to the question at hand.

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

It would be more compassionate to aim to understand why the believer believes rather than telling them that they are stupid. What is it that they are most trying to communicate? I believe that everyone has some good points to make because only they can report on life seen through their eyes.

Meanwhile, how does it feel to have someone who is smarter than you tell you that you are stupid? Generally with a defensive response that sees one's own intelligence as sufficient and the other's intelligence to be surplus to needs, and thus unsoundly abstracted and generally out of touch. I've been on both sides of that fence at times and you see this dynamic playing out on this forum between various players.

In the end, we are each just little bits of the Earth that are configured in a particular way. Should we respect the differences or try to change other parts of reality to more resemble ourselves? Or, rather, when should we respect differences and when should we aim to minimise them?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm It would be more compassionate to aim to understand why the believer believes rather than telling them that they are stupid. What is it that they are most trying to communicate? I believe that everyone has some good points to make because only they can report on life seen through their eyes.

Meanwhile, how does it feel to have someone who is smarter than you tell you that you are stupid? Generally with a defensive response that sees one's own intelligence as sufficient and the other's intelligence to be surplus to needs, and thus unsoundly abstracted and generally out of touch. I've been on both sides of that fence at times and you see this dynamic playing out on this forum between various players.

In the end, we are each just little bits of the Earth that are configured in a particular way. Should we respect the differences or try to change other parts of reality to more resemble ourselves? Or, rather, when should we respect differences and when should we aim to minimise them?
Do theists respect non-theists and their reason and logic.

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Seams not.

Is reciprocity fair play and what should we return insults with?

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pm
Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm It would be more compassionate to aim to understand why the believer believes rather than telling them that they are stupid. What is it that they are most trying to communicate? I believe that everyone has some good points to make because only they can report on life seen through their eyes.

Martin Luther.

Seams not.

Regards
DL
Once you have returned the insults, what then?
osgart

Post by osgart »

Is non locality in physics supernatural, or Schroedingers cat.

Where do you draw the line?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Martin Luther.

Seams not.

Regards
DL
Once you have returned the insults, what then?
Sit back and wait to see if the other has as thick a skin as we all should have in his or her reply.

It is said that if you cannot take a bit of insulting, you are not particularly intelligent.

Insults have a place in debates and discussions done in good faith. No?

Is that not why teachers used to use the dunce cap?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

osgart wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am Is non locality in physics supernatural, or Schroedingers cat.

Where do you draw the line?
Physics does not try to tell us how to behave. The supernatural Gods do via their delusional followers.

Regards
DL