Is God competent or incompetent?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.

God can thus be seen and judged as being the original sinner since the fruits of his labor (us) went bad or are born bad. A tree is known by its fruits. What else could come from a sinner tree but sin?

I give God a fail on competence for the following reasons.
God created heaven that produced Satan. Fail.
God created Eden which produced Original Sin. Fail.
God had to reboot creation with Noah’s flood. Fail.
God sent his son to forgive mankind instead of stepping up himself. Fail, for moral reasons.
God also had to create hell for his rejects which scriptures say will be the vast majority of us. Fail.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
Dubious

Re: Is God competent or incompetent?

Post by Dubious »

Why give a crap about a non-entity which exists only in scripture. It served its purpose while it had one as with most human creations. That which never existed cannot fail.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 am Why give a crap about a non-entity which exists only in scripture. .
Do you have any gays or women in your family and friendship circle?

Do you think helping to rid the world of homophobia and misogyny to be a good thing?

If so you might wonder why you do not give a crap about what is effecting them negatively.

For evil to grow, all we need do is not give a crap and let evil religions just continue to do their evil.

Regards
DL
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

GIa, why do you believe that God exists?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 am GIa, why do you believe that God exists?
I do not. At least not as usually described.

I do not define God as a supernatural entity. That, to me, is stupid as we cannot know anything of the supernatural.

God to me is just an ideal that we are to seek, and if found, set aside so that the bar of excellence can be raised and a newer and better ideal sought. That prevents the idol worship that has caused so much conflict and war in the world.

Regards
DL
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Just to be clear, I do not define God as any of the hundreds of different interpretations that exist. I accept that God exists and let God define God as best suits God. I figure I'll learn the details, as necessary, soon enough.

I guess the short answer is "I don't know" I just believe that God exists.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm God to me is just an ideal that we are to seek, and if found, set aside so that the bar of excellence can be raised and a newer and better ideal sought. That prevents the idol worship that has caused so much conflict and war in the world.

Regards
DL
That sounds a bit like Buddhism.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm God to me is just an ideal that we are to seek, and if found, set aside so that the bar of excellence can be raised and a newer and better ideal sought. That prevents the idol worship that has caused so much conflict and war in the world.

Regards
DL
That sounds a bit like Buddhism.
That is not surprising as Buddhism is a knowledge and wisdom seeking ideology just like Gnostic Christianity is. We call it Gnosis.

Buddhists, Karaite Jews and Gnostic Christians all put man above God where we belong.

We, as Jesus preached, are the light of the world. Not God.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts expands on this theme/teaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm Just to be clear, I do not define God as any of the hundreds of different interpretations that exist. I accept that God exists and let God define God as best suits God. I figure I'll learn the details, as necessary, soon enough.

I guess the short answer is "I don't know" I just believe that God exists.
Yes, but does he have to be supernatural?

Consider that you are an animal who should follow natural law.

In natural law, the God of an ant is an ant.
The God of a lion is a lion.
The God of a man, if we follow that logic and truth, should be a man.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
seeds

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm Consider that you are an animal who should follow natural law.

Do you agree?
Absolutely not!

Observation and logic suggests that ants and lions are incapable of visualizing anything above and beyond their own instinctually driven level of existence.

They are locked within a limited and fixed “bandwidth of consciousness,” so to speak, that makes the unique experience of being an ant or a lion feel completely natural to them...

...(with no apparent existential concern or angst as to how and why they are in such forms).

Such is not the case with humans.

Humans (some, anyway) are indeed capable of visualizing levels of existence above their own (i.e., a God that is not a man) and are therefore not subject to your attempt to put them on an equal footing with ants in terms of your arbitrary definition of “natural law.”
_______
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

seeds wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Consider that you are an animal who should follow natural law.

Do you agree?
Absolutely not!

Observation and logic suggests that ants and lions are incapable of visualizing anything above and beyond their own instinctually driven level of existence.
Untrue. There are no observations of how or why animals think as they do. There is also no logic trail that I know of that shows this. I am willing to learn though so link away if you have anything to prove your point.

I have this link that shows us proof, I think, of Freud and Jung's Father Complex, as that is the only thing, I think, that is guiding that baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY
They are locked within a limited and fixed “bandwidth of consciousness,” so to speak, that makes the unique experience of being an ant or a lion feel completely natural to them...
I agree, and the same applies to man.
...(with no apparent existential concern or angst as to how and why they are in such forms).
What is apparent is that we have yet to scientifically know what animals are thinking.

See above.
Humans (some, anyway) are indeed capable of visualizing levels of existence above their own (i.e., a God that is not a man) and are therefore not subject to your attempt to put them on an equal footing with ants in terms of your arbitrary definition of “natural law.”
_______
Have you not noted that we give God all the attributes we see in us, except brought to the greatest possible degree.

IOW, we have created God out of our wish list that comes from our Father Complex which is the seat of our survival instincts that push us to be the fittest of our species.

This applies not only to political man but spiritual man.

I have an O.P. in the works that shows this. Here is a preview should you wish to view it and the link it gives.

-------------------

Can you say the name of God and mean it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cljulTRe--A

Gnostic Christians of today call God by his only fitting name, both historically and in reality.

Are you able to say the name of God and mean it?

If so, say it and write it for us.

Regards
DL
seeds

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Absolutely not!

Untrue. There are no observations of how or why animals think as they do. There is also no logic trail that I know of that shows this. I am willing to learn though so link away if you have anything to prove your point.

I have this link that shows us proof, I think, of Freud and Jung's Father Complex, as that is the only thing, I think, that is guiding that baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY
I agree, and the same applies to man.
What is apparent is that we have yet to scientifically know what animals are thinking.

See above.
_______
Have you not noted that we give God all the attributes we see in us, except brought to the greatest possible degree.

IOW, we have created God out of our wish list that comes from our Father Complex which is the seat of our survival instincts that push us to be the fittest of our species.

This applies not only to political man but spiritual man.

I have an O.P. in the works that shows this. Here is a preview should you wish to view it and the link it gives.

-------------------

Can you say the name of God and mean it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cljulTRe--A

Gnostic Christians of today call God by his only fitting name, both historically and in reality.

Are you able to say the name of God and mean it?

If so, say it and write it for us.

Regards
DL
DL, please fix your post so that the things you stated in response to me do not look like things that I stated.

It is very sloppy and lazy of you to not use the quote feature properly.
_______
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm Consider that you are an animal who should follow natural law.

Do you agree?
I've known dogs to whom their apparent god was a man.

Cats, no.

All other pets and domesticated animals, no. Some of them need to be broken in; some of them are not domesticated, just kept for later eating them. Their entire domestication consists of their not equipped to escape (ducks, bulls, turkeys, dolphins, etc.). Each animal other than dogs wish to dominate, and they give up that position very reluctantly. Dogs (some subspecies, like German Sheppards) are known to willingly and gladly submit their egos to their masters.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

-1- wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 am

Do you agree?
I've known dogs to whom their apparent god was a man.

Cats, no.

All other pets and domesticated animals, no. Some of them need to be broken in; some of them are not domesticated, just kept for later eating them. Their entire domestication consists of their not equipped to escape (ducks, bulls, turkeys, dolphins, etc.). Each animal other than dogs wish to dominate, and they give up that position very reluctantly. Dogs (some subspecies, like German Sheppards) are known to willingly and gladly submit their egos to their masters.
The ideal and instincts we all follow are designed to keep us alive and thriving so that we might become the fittest.

Dogs follow that instinct as their idea, which they get from their own Father Complex instincts.

So far my logic trail is sound.

Do you recognize that you have a Father Complex?

Regards
DL
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm
Do you recognize that you have a Father Complex?

Regards
DL
Why do you ask? I am not a German Sheppard. Did you think I was?

Do you have an Oedipus complex? Or an anal fixation? Or an oral avocation?

What a question to ask. "Do you recognize that you have a Father Complex?" You might as well ask for my complete medical history, and my family tree, and my valued chauffeur licence number.

Btw, I never said that your logic trail was faulty or not. I am not qualified to do that. For instance, I don't know of the natural law which states that the god of an ant is an ant. So obviously my education is limited, to the extent of not empowering me to sit judgment on your logic.