Dreams

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Dreams

Post by seeds »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm
seeds wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm Dreams in many cultures are associated with the divine. With this as a premise let me state a few questions.

Does anyone have any experiences where they wake up from a strange dream with markings on their body? The other night I had a strange, elusive dream, where I was on a table surrounded by a group of men who, above all things, were messing with my elbow. I wake up the following morning, brush my teeth, and look to find a triangular burn on my elbow. I cannot recall if I bumped into something the day prior and it was an unobserved mark, but upon observation the triangle is almost perfect. I cannot recall the source of where it came from, other than during the dream.
Not meaning to Scully your Mulderian mystery, but ruling-out that you were literally on a table surrounded by a group of men messing with your elbow...

...and ruling-out that the dream was a strangely configured premonition of your inevitable morning glance of it (the mark) while brushing your teeth...

...then as Greta suggested, it is more likely that your mind subconsciously registered a mark-causing event that you were unaware of and then used its location as the premise for the night’s entertainment.

My own interpretation of the phenomena of dreams is that due to the fact that they are composed of the living fabric of our very own inner-being, coupled with the fact that they appear to be almost as “real” as the reality we experience outwardly...

...then to me, dreams represent a precursory glimpse of the ultimate potential of our minds wherein we will literally be able to create reality itself within ourselves.

The only catch is that in order for this ultimate potential to be fully realized, one must die. :shock:

(P.S., why is this in the “Philosophy of Religion” forum?)

Because of this very same answer I am about to give you. According your presented argument you seem to be arguing for the Taoist concept of the tulpa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa. If that is the case, then yes I agree, it is another logical possibility.

I personally believe that this ufo phenomena may in fact be linked to the concept of the tulpa. The question occurs do people believe in ufo's / spiritual phenomena, because they see what someone else believes, or is believing seeing?

Hence the thread in the religious section.

_______
No, I was not arguing for the Taoist concept of the tulpa (and I think you meant Tibetan Buddhist, not Taoist).

Did you miss the part about having to die before the ultimate potential of your being can be fully revealed – wherein you will then be able to create “reality” within the closed and sovereign context of your own mind?

Now of course you don’t have to believe such a thing, but I’m not sure how you managed to associate my reply with the tulpa concept.

And I also disagree with your suggestion regarding UFOs.

I do not believe that humans can project their own subjective thought-forms (such as imagined UFOs) out into the universe in such a way that others could see them (or track them on radar, or take pictures of them).

Most UFOs are no doubt hoaxes or some other kind of explainable alternative.

However, considering the vastness of the universe, surely we are not alone.

And considering how truly backwards and divided humans are in terms of the animus we direct toward members of our own species with respect to variances of skin color, or for minor differences in our facial features, and especially for our primitive and divergent ideologies...

...then just imagine humanity’s negative response to some wildly different physical features and philosophies of aliens from other planets.

Therefore (and of course speculatively speaking), it is completely understandable of why they would want to keep on the “down low” (follow some kind of Star Trekian “prime directive”) so as not to blow our delicate little monkey minds.
_______
-1-

Post by -1- »

JohnDoe, getting a Ph.D. is easy, compared to how hard it is to get a job with it. The competition is fierce, and only half of Ph.D.s have a pH level job. If you don't have the right connections, forget it. Your time to get a Ph.D. in order to get a high paying job is better spent looking for stamps that have been printed upside down.

That's one thing. The other is, that outstanding talent in any field who aims at a Ph.D. usually fails. Mediocre aspirants are the best suited to get the papers. A psychology Ph.D. explained to me that it's so because brilliant aspirants want to write the be-all-and-end-all theses, they won't settle for counting and giving the ratio of vowel letters vs consonant letters in Chaucer's poetry as a Ph.D. thesis in English. So the brilliant ones are always aiming high, too high, and they can't reach that goal that they set for their own selves.

A good candidate is one who is willing to read roomsfulls of books, have no original idea, and make myopia a life goal.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

seeds wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:31 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm
seeds wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 am
Not meaning to Scully your Mulderian mystery, but ruling-out that you were literally on a table surrounded by a group of men messing with your elbow...

...and ruling-out that the dream was a strangely configured premonition of your inevitable morning glance of it (the mark) while brushing your teeth...

...then as Greta suggested, it is more likely that your mind subconsciously registered a mark-causing event that you were unaware of and then used its location as the premise for the night’s entertainment.

My own interpretation of the phenomena of dreams is that due to the fact that they are composed of the living fabric of our very own inner-being, coupled with the fact that they appear to be almost as “real” as the reality we experience outwardly...

...then to me, dreams represent a precursory glimpse of the ultimate potential of our minds wherein we will literally be able to create reality itself within ourselves.

The only catch is that in order for this ultimate potential to be fully realized, one must die. :shock:

(P.S., why is this in the “Philosophy of Religion” forum?)

Because of this very same answer I am about to give you. According your presented argument you seem to be arguing for the Taoist concept of the tulpa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa. If that is the case, then yes I agree, it is another logical possibility.

I personally believe that this ufo phenomena may in fact be linked to the concept of the tulpa. The question occurs do people believe in ufo's / spiritual phenomena, because they see what someone else believes, or is believing seeing?

Hence the thread in the religious section.

_______
No, I was not arguing for the Taoist concept of the tulpa (and I think you meant Tibetan Buddhist, not Taoist).

And that is why I prefer when people double check what I have to say. :)

Did you miss the part about having to die before the ultimate potential of your being can be fully revealed – wherein you will then be able to create “reality” within the closed and sovereign context of your own mind?

Now of course you don’t have to believe such a thing, but I’m not sure how you managed to associate my reply with the tulpa concept.

Both are various degrees of mental projection.

And I also disagree with your suggestion regarding UFOs.

I do not believe that humans can project their own subjective thought-forms (such as imagined UFOs) out into the universe in such a way that others could see them (or track them on radar, or take pictures of them).

Most UFOs are no doubt hoaxes or some other kind of explainable alternative.

True, however the tulpa is one possibility.

However, considering the vastness of the universe, surely we are not alone.

True

And considering how truly backwards and divided humans are in terms of the animus we direct toward members of our own species with respect to variances of skin color, or for minor differences in our facial features, and especially for our primitive and divergent ideologies...

...then just imagine humanity’s negative response to some wildly different physical features and philosophies of aliens from other planets.

Therefore (and of course speculatively speaking), it is completely understandable of why they would want to keep on the “down low” (follow some kind of Star Trekian “prime directive”) so as not to blow our delicate little monkey minds.

If a monkey is aware of his lack of intelligence, does he still have the intellect of a monkey?
_______
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

-1- wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 am JohnDoe, getting a Ph.D. is easy, compared to how hard it is to get a job with it. The competition is fierce, and only half of Ph.D.s have a pH level job. If you don't have the right connections, forget it. Your time to get a Ph.D. in order to get a high paying job is better spent looking for stamps that have been printed upside down.

That's one thing. The other is, that outstanding talent in any field who aims at a Ph.D. usually fails.
Elaborate this point further.

Mediocre aspirants are the best suited to get the papers. A psychology Ph.D. explained to me that it's so because brilliant aspirants want to write the be-all-and-end-all theses, they won't settle for counting and giving the ratio of vowel letters vs consonant letters in Chaucer's poetry as a Ph.D. thesis in English.
Interesting, expand further.

So the brilliant ones are always aiming high, too high, and they can't reach that goal that they set for their own selves.

A good candidate is one who is willing to read roomsfulls of books, have no original idea, and make myopia a life goal.

Well...at least bridges provide excellent protection from the rain.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm Dreams in many cultures are associated with the divine. With this as a premise let me state a few questions.

Does anyone have any experiences where they wake up from a strange dream with markings on their body? The other night I had a strange, elusive dream, where I was on a table surrounded by a group of men who, above all things, were messing with my elbow. I wake up the following morning, brush my teeth, and look to find a triangular burn on my elbow. I cannot recall if I bumped into something the day prior and it was an unobserved mark, but upon observation the triangle is almost perfect. I cannot recall the source of where it came from, other than during the dream.

Anyone with similar experiences?
no, not had a similar experience. but do value dreams and view them as informative (dream interpretation) toward understanding yourself (one's subconscience (mostly - but not only - one's fears).

a valuable tool (interpreting your dreams) toward knowing oneself.