How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Re: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 pm
Perhaps. And I have no problem with giving credit where credit is due...in fact, that seems to me the only way to proceed. But those Theists who believe in miracle healings are probably a lot fewer than the cynics who ask us to indict whatever powers that be for the bad things that are perceived to go on.

Neither is a sensible procedure, I would suggest. It takes a lot to identify any event as genuinely "miraculous" (that is, in more than a merely metaphorical and hyperbolical sense), so those who claim to be able to do so often seem to me to have insufficient evidence to warrant their conclusion.
Tracie can't pin the caller down to identify just what is a miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXhHDjrt6o

Tracie does bring up a valid point, why does God allow suffering in the first place rather than just preventing it.

It also brings up the question that everyone else seems to be dancing around but not addressing. "What is good for God, isn't dying and going to Heaven the greatest good of all?" So those people who died are receiving the greatest blessing God can give?
Satan and a full third of the heavenly host that God cast out of heaven did not think heaven and the tyranny of God to be good.

She applied this quote and found God's heaven to be evil.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm “I believe that forgiving them is God’s function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting.” - Schwartzkopf
Yet God said he would never forgive Satan and a third of the heavenly host.

So much for God's forgiving 7 x 79 times.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Would that include Satan and her ability to deceive the whole world?"

Don't know...in the same way you need to talk to Mannie if you wanna know why his God does this or that, you'll have to consult a satanist on that one.
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm "Would that include Satan and her ability to deceive the whole world?"

Don't know...in the same way you need to talk to Mannie if you wanna know why his God does this or that, you'll have to consult a satanist on that one.
I see that Satan's God given power of deception has worked on you.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

sez you... :|
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm
thedoc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm Would you kill when you can take the moral high ground and cure?

Regards
DL
False dichotomy, most times there are more than just 2 choices.
True, but if you cannot answer that question, even after adding all the choices you want, you are not a moral man.

Regards
DL
I can't cure anyone because I'm not a medical doctor, killing them is frowned on legally, so the best I can do is to try to cheer them up when I can.
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm sez you... :|
You are quite observant.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm
thedoc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm

False dichotomy, most times there are more than just 2 choices.
True, but if you cannot answer that question, even after adding all the choices you want, you are not a moral man.

Regards
DL
I can't cure anyone because I'm not a medical doctor, killing them is frowned on legally, so the best I can do is to try to cheer them up when I can.
Laudable.

God can cure instead of kill though, and he mostly kills, which makes him quite a p**** by the better moral standard that you just showed.

Regards
DL
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 pm Laudable.

God can cure instead of kill though, and he mostly kills, which makes him quite a p**** by the better moral standard that you just showed.

Regards
DL
That would depend on who you blame or credit for either and it can very easily go the other way. Who gives doctors their ability to cure, and who gives soldiers their ability to kill?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

The rain falls on the just and the unjust but I don't believe that you are qualified to determine which is which.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:26 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 pm Laudable.

Regards
DL
That would depend on who you blame or credit for either and it can very easily go the other way. Who gives doctors their ability to cure, and who gives soldiers their ability to kill?
This movie scene answers your first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeC3BPYTmE

To your last, the answer would be military training, but that training does not seem to override our internal moral compass if we go by the numbers of soldiers with PTSD.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm The rain falls on the just and the unjust but I don't believe that you are qualified to determine which is which.
You accuse without showing why.

Do you spank your kids without telling them why as well?

Chastisement without correction just shows the hate you have in your heart as well as your lack of couth.

Regards
DL
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm
Below a certain age, children don't understand and I don't punish, above that age I punish and tell them they did something wrong but explaining is no use, beyond a certain age they might understand the explanation. The age varies with each child, and if you don't understand that, you are a fool who has never raised children.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 pm
Below a certain age, children don't understand and I don't punish, above that age I punish and tell them they did something wrong but explaining is no use, beyond a certain age they might understand the explanation. The age varies with each child, and if you don't understand that, you are a fool who has never raised children.
The problem with spanking is some people don't regard it as punishment - from personal experience, I've had a couple of women who'd welcome it. So the situation isn't that simple.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 pm
I see a mind that ran from the real issue at hand. You are either deflecting from thinking of what you did so as to ignore it, or lack the wit to know what I was talking about.

Regards
DL