What is the point to worshipping God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re: What is the point to worshipping God?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 am I'm not surprised.
That twins aren't actually as similar as you might have thought?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 am
Walker wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:32 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:55 pm
What leads you to believe that?
Because separated twins, unbeknownst to one another, leading similar parallel lives, is a strong indication that biology controls much of what folks think is choice in life.
That's actually more or less a myth. Twins usually develop very different personalities, even when raised in the same environment. I see the point you're trying to make, but what's your evidence that there is 'genetic' imperative? Just because there's evidence for one thing doesn't mean another thing works the same way.
It's not a myth, It's just denied by the medical profession. My first wife was an identical twin and my son had identical twin daughters, so I know a little about it.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

thedoc wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 am
Walker wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Because separated twins, unbeknownst to one another, leading similar parallel lives, is a strong indication that biology controls much of what folks think is choice in life.
That's actually more or less a myth. Twins usually develop very different personalities, even when raised in the same environment. I see the point you're trying to make, but what's your evidence that there is 'genetic' imperative? Just because there's evidence for one thing doesn't mean another thing works the same way.
It's not a myth, It's just denied by the medical profession. My first wife was an identical twin and my son had identical twin daughters, so I know a little about it.
Well, I'm not denying it ever happens. There's just no serious correlation between twins having similar personalities. Your personal anecdotes don't confirm a general case.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 am
Well, I'm not denying it ever happens. There's just no serious correlation between twins having similar personalities. Your personal anecdotes don't confirm a general case.
I have seen numerous accounts of twins who have grown up separately but have made similar choices in life, do you have examples of twins who have gone in opposite directions?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pmWhat is the point to worshipping God?
God doesn't give two flying fucks about anyone 'worshipping' IT. What is does expect, is a large degree of respect - since it went through chaos to form our reality.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

thedoc wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 am
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 am

I have seen numerous accounts of twins who have grown up separately but have made similar choices in life, do you have examples of twins who have gone in opposite directions?
I'm under the impression that's the case to the majority of studies that exist on the issue. Mind you, I'm talking about personality traits, even twins who grow up together are observed to usually have very different personalities.

Maybe they will make 'some' similar choices in life, I'm sure that I've made 'some' similar choices to the homeless man down the corner; It doesn't indicate a genetic imperative.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

In one case, one twin was raised a Nazi and the other a Jew, yet they showed up where the study was being done wearing similar clothes and having similar habits.

Search "tins raised apart."
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm Mind you, I'm talking about personality traits, even twins who grow up together are observed to usually have very different personalities.

Maybe they will make 'some' similar choices in life, I'm sure that I've made 'some' similar choices to the homeless man down the corner; It doesn't indicate a genetic imperative.
Perhaps different when compared to each other but when compared to the general population they tend to be very similar. And all human beings have the similar needs and make similar choices during their lives.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

thedoc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 am
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm Mind you, I'm talking about personality traits, even twins who grow up together are observed to usually have very different personalities.

Perhaps different when compared to each other but when compared to the general population they tend to be very similar. And all human beings have the similar needs and make similar choices during their lives.
Well, either way, just because there are genetic pre-dispositions to acting a certain way, doesn't mean that worshiping god is one. Walker needs to show more of a connection than 'this was the case for that, therefore this is the case for this'.