What is the point to worshipping God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

What is the point to worshipping God?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Obviously this is a pretty common idea among organised religion. I think some people can defend this idea with some reasons that I could understand, but there are some reasons that don't seem to make any sense.

The most intuitive reason to why worship is done seems to be that it's a way to physically express their appreciation and thanks to God. While this might seem to be okay by our humanistic projections, I think it becomes a problem when you consider his omniscience. Even if we assume that God only has Inherent Omniscience, he would still be able to see into the contents of your heart and mind and know exactly what you mean to express and how you feel before you even show it. I think it boils out the very point of communication, but more specifically in the case of just sending appreciation.

Another reason I've heard is for the benefits of being in that social setting with other believers. To help stay true to their faith. While I find this to be a pretty respectable response, I don't think it's very intuitive when you consider the sort of dedication coming out of churches. I think many people are genuinely convinced that they are, in some way, impressing God. Especially apparent in things like christian music. Although maybe there's an element of trying to bring in more believers through this art. But there are also those who worship their god in privacy, away from anyone.

Why do you think worship is such a common concept in organized religions? If you're a theist what is your defense of it?
Harbal

Re: What is the point to worshipping God?

Post by Harbal »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm Why do you think worship is such a common concept in organized religions?
They have to do something in all those churches.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm
Why do you think worship is such a common concept in organized religions? If you're a theist what is your defense of it?
I'm neither a theist, nor an atheist, I'm a 'not a thing'. . . and I'm not even a 'not a thing' in deep sleep.

No one writes or reads these words, no one thinks these thoughts. No one sees these images. All concepts, ideas, symbols, images .
That' all this one knows.

If the imagined self really knew what they were worshipping, they'd stop worshipping immediately.

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 amI'm neither a theist, nor an atheist, I'm a 'not a thing'. . . and I'm not even a 'not a thing' in deep sleep.
I'm surprised your mom lets you use this site.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 amI'm neither a theist, nor an atheist, I'm a 'not a thing'. . . and I'm not even a 'not a thing' in deep sleep.
I'm surprised your mom lets you use this site.
All my relatives are dead.

Everything is relative to the observer which cannot be observed for all it's relatives are dead.

Skip

Post by Skip »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm Obviously this is a pretty common idea among organised religion.
It is, in fact, the central idea of all religion.

Unless, by 'worship' you mean the shared ritual of attending a weekly church service.
It's entirely social. People are showing up to prove that they conform to the precepts, mores and protocols of their community. To show that they will bow to the established elite, in private as well as in public life. To prove their righteousness and be worthy of the community's support and immune to its disapproval. To appease their betters and reassure their peers. To affirm solidarity.
But there are also those who worship their god in privacy, away from anyone.
They're the mystics and zealots. You never know what they're thinking; what voices they're hearing; what they'll do.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

In days of old Jews didn't allow the blind, the lame and the deaf into the synagoge, since the blind may accidentally defile the holy things, the lame would drag dirt into the holy rooms, and the deaf couldn't hear the holy words.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

HexHammer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:42 pm In days of old Jews
I think Jews have continued to get old, right up to the present day.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 pmBut there are also those who worship their god in privacy, away from anyone.
Those who worship their gods is a story told by no one.

A story tellers only place of existence is in the telling of the story aka language. There is nothing not-a-thing existing outside of language. All story is a belief appearing in no thing, a belief then is also empty of substance, therefore, all known stories are empty beliefs sourced from no thing/ nothing...thus illusory ...believed to be real.

All empty fullness.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 pm

:?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 pm

:?
As these words appear nowhere....are a story read by no one and everyone. The story of I

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 am
As these words appear nowhere....are a story read by no one and everyone. The story of I

:? :?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:44 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 am

:? :?
The body never asks questions. The body is never confused.

You are no thing looking at no thing....

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Please, ascribing anthropomorphic qualities to a God by assuming he would have the slightest interest in being worshipped is fatuous to say the least.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

It doesn't really seem like there are a whole lot of theists on this site. Am I wrong?
bobevenson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:04 pm Please, ascribing anthropomorphic qualities to a God by assuming he would have the slightest interest in being worshipped is fatuous to say the least.
I don't actually have a problem with that since it usually comes from a source like their holy book, but I think there are some basic concepts which can be shown to necessarily contradict those qualities. Like the idea of communicating with a god who already knows what you're about to say.