The name Mohammad is given to sons to show respect. Why is the name Jesus not given the same respect?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: The name Mohammad is given to sons to show respect. Why is the name Jesus not given the same respect?

Post by Belinda »

When the prophet of any religion is the subject of adulation the religion has become cultish. It's odd that so many Muslims adulate the Holy Prophet and at the same time Allah forbids idolatry.

Christianity is a portmanteau for all sorts of sects , more so than Islam. Some sorts of Christians adulate, besides Jesus, the Virgin Mary and assorted saints.

It's the fashion in the west to take God's name in vain. Even small children imitate their parents in this regard, and very good parents do so in front of their kids. The French have done so for centuries exclaiming "Mon dieu!" I am not a believer but when I hear people saying "My god!" this or that I feel uncomfortable.
Greatest I am

Re: The name Mohammad is given to sons to show respect. Why is the name Jesus not given the same respect?

Post by Greatest I am »

Those who do use such wording are just following their cultural norms more than the religious norms.

OMG is even in the computer culture.

Regards
DL
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm Those who do use such wording are just following their cultural norms more than the religious norms.

OMG is even in the computer culture.

Regards
DL
Yes, I agree.
I was saying how I feel.
-1-

Post by -1- »

The greatest you are, or DL, you are mistaking fear for respect, and pity for disrespect.

Muhammad was a fierce warrior. If a guy walks in on a scene and you know he is liable to lop your head off if you say something disagreeable to him, then you'll watch your lips. All of a sudden your body stiffens up, your back muscles make you stick out.

On the other hand, nobody can take a guy threatening or even seriously if he shows you the other cheek after you slap him on the face. A guy who is willing to die a painful death to release others from damning original sin, may be popular, or well-liked, but he is not feared.

So your "respect" and "lack of respect" has nothing to do with respect; it has to do with the presence or absence of immediate danger and feeling of fear of that danger.
-1-

Post by -1- »

In eastern, Muslim, and middle-eastern cultures often names are given to boys to predicate world dominance. I used to know a young man, his name was Daruwala Jehangir, which meant, in his language, "world conqueror." He never lived up to his name. I knew another boy, his name was something or other in Arabic, which meant, "brave warrior, etc."

Whereas in the west we give mundane, nondescript names, and we call them Brian, Stevie, or Asshole.

You. Greatest Thou Art, or DL, sound like an easterner who should have been given a westerner name.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

So we name our children our relatives names out of fear and not respect.

I do not agree but ok.

Regards
DL