When the Soul Tires of this Physical Plane

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RogerFarinha

When the Soul Tires of this Physical Plane

Post by RogerFarinha »

Anyone else here has always felt the rotten burden of existential darkness which wraps around our walking human corpses like so much sticky putrefaction?

My soul, if there is any such thing, winces and writhes in my shell of flesh, which breaks down in sickness and threatens my whole notion of existence, physical "life."

What cruel accident of reality gave minds to slithering mindless worms? Wouldn't we have been better off with simple right verses left directional and forward verses avoidance instincts? Wouldn't the ideas of happiness, joy, love, knowledge, nobility, all not have been better off working through our center guts like half-digested leaves, to be excreted in as common as way as fitting their attainability?

Maybe my soul is just finally waking up to this eternal chain of reincarnation which is nevertheless a bottomless pit of death, inasmuch as, like Sisyphus who must roll the bolder up the mountain forever, we keep pursuing happiness and diversion, life after each "fresh" life, only to find true happiness and inner vitality (spiritual life), nonexistent.

Wo is me, and wo is you, although you don't yet recognize it. Wo is us all!

Where is our salvation? Where is the rail for us to grab, against the torrent!?

Zarathustra said: "I am a railing alongside the torrent; whoever is able to grasp me may grasp me!"

Yet Zarathustra was the endless, putrefying cycle of life and death INCARNATE, so that in grasping him one only finally embraces the torrent, and in that acceptance, decides to transcend both good and evil, making oneself the god of one's chosen direction, and a god among other similar gods, of supermen.

Is this our only salvation? To run about like Nazi gods, like sainted gods, like furious buzzing gods of all kinds who know no law, who bow to no established order, no right or wrong, no greater good?
Harbal

Re: When the Soul Tires of this Physical Plane

Post by Harbal »

I'm sure I've heard all this before somewhere.
davidm

Post by davidm »

RogerFarinha wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:41 pm Anyone else here has always felt the rotten burden of existential darkness which wraps around our walking human corpses like so much sticky putrefaction?
"Rotten Burden of Existential Darkness" would be a nice name for a punk-rock band. So would "Sticky Putrefaction" and "Walking Human Corpses."
RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:51 pm I'm sure I've heard all this before somewhere.
Yea I wanted to take it from general philosophy to philosophy of religion because I think this is a more appropriate place...
RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm
"Rotten Burden of Existential Darkness" would be a nice name for a punk-rock band. So would "Sticky Putrefaction" and "Walking Human Corpses."
Maybe that's why I liked heavy meatal since adolescence. Punk rock? Only the girls all in dark. Milky white skins against dark leather skirts and thong panties (pink with red polka dots) and, well, maybe this is another kind of snare--the satisfaction-less pit of lust.

Otherwise I continue: Wo is me!
Last edited by RogerFarinha on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

RogerFarinha wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 pm Yea I wanted to take it from general philosophy to philosophy of religion because I think this is a more appropriate place...
I have long thought that there is a need for a forum of the philosophy of pessimistic whinging, I think it would be quite popular.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:35 pm
RogerFarinha wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 pm Yea I wanted to take it from general philosophy to philosophy of religion because I think this is a more appropriate place...
I have long thought that there is a need for a forum of the philosophy of pessimistic whinging, I think it would be quite popular.
Create your own "Whine and Dine" club in Yorkshire. You'll have all these submissive males trying to pick up these feminists with high pitched voices complaining about what is wrong with them. Dinner will include complimentary antacid tablets.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:48 pm Create your own
You're the alpha whinger round here, Nick, you create it.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:35 pm
This would basically be a thread about Schopenhauer.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Yes, some Goth strains are going around this winter ;)

So here we all are. Some decades ago we were each thrust screaming, clueless and covered in goop into this life. From there, with help from parents and others, we are supposed to work out how to live well, or at least survive.

We are creatures of nature, flesh and blood, but we lack fur, armoured plates, spines, sharp teeth, claws, venom or even a thick hide. Our "armour" is our big brain, which allows us to put our bodies in places where dangerous amounts of entropy are not. Our minds naturally turn to those things that are the greatest threat to our survival - other humans and their societies.

So we obsess about the human world as though the rest of nature didn't exist or matter. What happens when we forget and ignore our roots because we are focused on human abstractions? Neuroses. Overreactions. Depression. Anxiety. Confusion. Instability.

We are surrounded by stories - everything and everyone has a story of origins and development. As children these are areas of curiosity and exploration. However, as adults we tend to ignore and not appreciate physical and energetic reality because we are so busy fighting fires in our abstract reality, many of which might have been prevented had we taken that time out to smell the roses. We are energised by getting in touch with the stories around us - to really focus on entities and seriously ponder their origins and the events and contributors involved in their development.

If you don't feel a sense of wonder at some point every day then the chances are you are spending more time in a mild fight-or-flight state than one where you are allowing yourself to be (approximately, at least ) in touch with actual reality, IMO.
RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

Greta wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:40 pm

So we obsess about the human world as though the rest of nature didn't exist or matter. What happens when we forget and ignore our roots because we are focused on human abstractions? Neuroses. Overreactions. Depression. Anxiety. Confusion. Instability.

Of all the things to focus on in the spectrum of human consciousness, why do you suppose nature is more real? Just because it seems to have the ability to kill us (which amounts to ending us in the meager mind), because if we jump we fall, because if we stop breathing we die? From the point of view of general consciousness, all things are equal. My existential anxiety is not some strain of goth. It is my soul which has finally grown tired in the movie theater, having sit through sooo many movies we call lifetimes and having grown literally sapped for having believed myself the character in each film. Time to exit the movie theater, into the sunlight. Time to end this endless chain of physical lifetimes, of which my soul the spectator is growing ever more tired. Suicide is not the answer as it will thrust me into a meaner movie with a vengeance, capturing all the wild and unresolved emotion of the last scene of this present movie, on steroids for having been severed.

Wo is me, I repeat. Wo is you, and wo is us all!!!