A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 amIf you're going to discuss God I suggest you dispense with the logic right from the outset.
Really? Since I know God exists, how would you like to go 1 to 1 in debate with me and see who has a better grasp of logic?
Okay, Fishy, you start and I"ll join in if I can be bothered.
How about you ask me a question about God.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:06 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 pm So why discuss it? For example I don't care about fashion. If you begin a thread on men's fashion and argue about shirts and pants I wouldn't condemn it. If you want to argue stripes over dots it is OK with me. But even though you have no interest in the god question you feel compelled to condemn it. What makes you such a proponent of secular intolerance and so willing to condemn what you are closed to?
In the context of philosophy it seems to me that if you believe there is a god it cannot help but be a fundamental influence on your views. How can someone like this have a meaningful discussion with someone lacking this influence. God people should talk among themselves and leave the rest of us to do the same.
So you would be in favor of those like Plato and Plotinus being banned from a philosophy site since Plato referred to the Good and Plotinus to the One.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:18 pm How about you ask me a question about God.
I don't believe in God so how can I have any questions about him? Besides, you're the one that extended the invitation so it's up to you to say something first.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:18 pm How about you ask me a question about God.
I don't believe in God so how can I have any questions about him? Besides, you're the one that extended the invitation so it's up to you to say something first.
Figured that might be a response. God permeates ALL reality. That includes all matter, including your brain and body. The power of this entity is greater than even I ever believed. We can be robots for it. Meaning, if it wants you to walk to a point in space and time, you will, and all along believing it was your own will and intent, to walk and stop. In other words, if it wants YOU to have a particular destiny... then you WILL have that destiny, and all along, you will have thought it was just the random nature of reality and your own free will.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:27 pm So you would be in favor of those like Plato and Plotinus being banned from a philosophy site since Plato referred to the Good and Plotinus to the One.
I know you would love to think that I and others want to ban things here, there and everywhere but I don't believe in banning stuff. I'm just not interested in ancient Greeks whose names begin with P. Right or wrong I want to rely on my own thinking, not on that of some semi mythical character who lived way back in the mists of time.
davidm

Post by davidm »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:38 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 pm
Figured that might be a response. God permeates ALL reality. That includes all matter, including your brain and body. The power of this entity is greater than even I ever believed. We can be robots for it. Meaning, if it wants you to walk to a point in space and time, you will, and all along believing it was your own will and intent, to walk and stop. In other words, if it wants YOU to have a particular destiny... then you WILL have that destiny, and all along, you will have thought it was just the random nature of reality and your own free will.
So, IOW, God makes us do everything that we do -- and then, after we die, if he had forced us to do bad things, he punishes us for doing those bad things that he forced us to do?

Or perhaps you don't believe in the Christian version of God.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:38 pm Figured that might be a response. God permeates ALL reality. That includes all matter, including your brain and body. The power of this entity is greater than even I ever believed. We can be robots for it. Meaning, if it wants you to walk to a point in space and time, you will, and all along believing it was your own will and intent, to walk and stop. In other words, if it wants YOU to have a particular destiny... then you WILL have that destiny, and all along, you will have thought it was just the random nature of reality and your own free will.
So, IOW, God makes us do everything that we do -- and then, after we die, if he had forced us to do bad things, he punishes us for doing those bad things that he forced us to do?

Shut up idiot. Where did i state that God make us do EVERYTHING?
Twat.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:38 pm Figured that might be a response. God permeates ALL reality. That includes all matter, including your brain and body. The power of this entity is greater than even I ever believed. We can be robots for it. Meaning, if it wants you to walk to a point in space and time, you will, and all along believing it was your own will and intent, to walk and stop. In other words, if it wants YOU to have a particular destiny... then you WILL have that destiny, and all along, you will have thought it was just the random nature of reality and your own free will.
What the hell has this tripe got to do with logic, oh fishy one?
davidm

Post by davidm »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:47 pm
davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Shut up idiot. Where did i state that God make us do EVERYTHING?
Twat.
You said it right here, twat:
We can be robots for it. Meaning, if it wants you to walk to a point in space and time, you will, and all along believing it was your own will and intent, to walk and stop. In other words, if it wants YOU to have a particular destiny... then you WILL have that destiny, and all along, you will have thought it was just the random nature of reality and your own free will.
Now maybe your only recourse is to point to the conditional nature of these stupid statements: If he wants you to, yada yada. Well, which is it? Does he want to make you do stuff, or not? And how would you know anyway?

BTW, calling a stranger on the internet who asked you a reasonable question about something you clearly stated an "idiot" and a "twat" -- is that an example of what we would call overflowing Christian charity?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 pm
What the hell has this tripe got to do with logic, oh fishy one?
You're supposed to debate - perhaps a good start would be to ask how i know this, then you can work your way to refute my logic. I'm not doing myself any favours here...truthfully, i give less than a nat's shite what you believe, but it pisses me off when ignorant people claim to be more rational than me.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 pmBTW, calling a stranger on the internet who asked you a reasonable question about something you clearly stated an "idiot" and a "twat" -- is that an example of what we would call overflowing Christian charity?
Fuck Christian charity. I suffered more than Christ courtesy of God. ...and yes i remain a Christian. You are a twat because you claimed i made a statement that God controls ALL our will, which clearly i didn't.
davidm

Post by davidm »

"Fuck Christian charity" ... "I remain a Christian."

:lol:

And a good poster boy for it!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 pmAnd a good poster boy for it!
Yeah - and that's the irony of it...the sages and God and Christ DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE GOODY TWO SHOES "CHRISTIAN" SIMPLETONS.

You never earned the truth, and likely never will - possibly for another 100-200 years.

BUY BULL.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:57 pm
You're supposed to debate - perhaps a good start would be to ask how i know this,
Okay, I'll give it a shot. How do you know this?
then you can work your way to refute my logic.
Come on then, hit me with the logic.
I'm not doing myself any favours here
Well you're not doing me any.
...truthfully, i give less than a nat's shite what you believe,
That's fine with me, "nat's shite" is something I have no use for. I do suspect, however, that you would be happy to give me a sack full of it if I happened to believe you.
but it pisses me off when ignorant people claim to be more rational than me.
I see no contradiction in being both ignorant and yet more rational than you. You must be in a constant state of being pissed off.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:57 pm
You're supposed to debate - perhaps a good start would be to ask how i know this,
Okay, I'll give it a shot. How do you know this?
The 90s...sex drugs and abortions. Is that a good start?

Let me ask you a question.. do you want to know if God exists?