100% Proof That Gods Do Not Exist

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: 100% Proof That Gods Do Not Exist

Post by Immanuel Can »

Rhodnar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm I am saying that if a being such as the “Abrahamic God” exists, then either it is 'truly just' and therefore; not a 'god' or it is not 'truly just' and therefore; not perfect, and therefore; simply a more powerful life form than I, and therefore; not a 'god'.
And yet you cannot define or justify the concept in which you need us to agree with you in order to make your case: "truly just." You have no idea what "truly just" would mean, or how you would know whether or not something was "truly just."

You have no way of knowing how much of what we call "injustice" might need to exist in the world in order to make possible free will, for example; nor have you any way of showing what is "just" for people such as we are to have, in any case. You've simply begged the question by supposing that everybody has to feel about "justice" as you do...but there's neither an account of "justice" nor a proof that that concept of "justice" is, in any sense right or necessary.

In logic, we would say that your syllogism depends on a vacuous middle term. And that means it cannot be verified at all. :shock:

Yet you claim you have a "100%" proof for us...

Well, we haven't seen anything like it yet.
Rhodnar

Post by Rhodnar »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm And yet you cannot define or justify the concept in which you need us to agree with you in order to make your case: "truly just." You have no idea what "truly just" would mean, or how you would know whether or not something was "truly just."
I would have to agree with you there. Given that I am not omniscient, something that may appear to me to be unjust, may in fact be the most 'just' possible solution. In the case of a creator or creators, the most just possible solution would be to allow its creation to follow a completely natural course, without interference of any kind. However; I cannot rule out the possibility that a creator or creators, fashioned their creation to naturally bring about their desired result for example. e.g. Calculating the end result before creating the creation.

As to your comment that I have no idea what being truly just is, I am truly just, so I do.

Very rough description of 'truly just':

Universal unconditional love. - No need for forgiveness or judgmentalism.
Always doing the most right thing, because it is the most right thing to do.

Which would mean, as it pertains to a creator or creators of life:
Love your creation, but leave your creation alone to become what it becomes. To interfere or intervene would be unjust, because it would remove freewill.
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm You have no way of knowing how much of what we call "injustice" might need to exist in the world in order to make possible free will, for example; nor have you any way of showing what is "just" for people such as we are to have,
I would speculate that the world needs to be just as it is. That is to say, “imperfect”, in order for us to be able to become 'truly just'. Could I know justness without witnessing/experiencing injustice? Could I want to heal the sick without sickness? Could I love unconditionally without flaws? I don't know, but I would speculate that the world in which we live is “perfectly” “imperfect”.

What is just in our scope would be always choosing to do the most right possible thing. We may be limited by knowledge, or ability, and we may get things all wrong from time to time, but our motivation should be to do the most right thing.

Freewill means that you are free to do as you choose. Carrot and stick from a more powerful being living in a different scope, negate freewill in this scope. You can argue that I am free to not 'go along', but being asked to 'go along' at all, is unjust if the asking is done by a more powerful being living in a different scope.
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm You've simply begged the question by supposing that everybody has to feel about "justice" as you do...but there's neither an account of "justice" nor a proof that that concept of "justice" is, in any sense right or necessary.
In this scope, I'd have to say that the rightness or necessity of justice is determined by the society in which we live. However; justice is not necessarily just, they are different concepts and are again dependant upon scope.
However; 'true justness' would seem to me to be a highly desirable trait for an all-powerful being to have. After all, if a being can do anything it wants, whats to stop it from doing anything it wants?
e.g. Burning people in hell for eternity, or instructing people to go out and kill other people who don't think the way that it wants them to? Or by writing books that subjugate 50% of the population, hinder scientific advancement, threaten and bribe, contradict themselves, call for the persecution of others...etc:...etc:..etc:

And making itself a God?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rhodnar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm I am saying no 'truly just' being is a 'god', not attempting to disprove a creator or a creation.
Then I have no idea why the thread would have been titled '100% Proof That Gods Do Not Exist'
If I told you that all fish live in water and that all trout are fish. Would you conclude that I am saying that trout live in trees? (To paraphrase John Cleese)
It would not be the strangest thing you have said.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm
We're not speaking of the difference merely between analytic and synthetic claims. We're talking about the idea of truth.

The point is that the truth is the truth -- whether in maths or in empirical matters like science -- regardless of how many people believe or don't believe it, or of how many contrary opinions are on hand. That's the important point. You seem to think that truth matters in analytic things, but not in empirical ones. In empirical ones, like the existence or non-existence of God, you appear to say that people's disbelief or alternate beliefs would have some impact on the facts. But clearly, nothing would change.

The belief of people or the disbelief of people will not make God exist or not exist.
That may be the case, but if we cannot know that truth - then we cannot know it. If that is incorrect, if you believe you do have empirical evidence of the existence (or not) of God, what is it? (I do not see that is possible to have empirical evidence of something that is outside the empirical universe.)
Me: They have (found the message God wants Muslims killed). They also find it in scripture
You: Not in my Scripture. They will find it in their own.
Me: So the situation is that we have a difference of opinion
No. Anyone who reads the Koran knows it's there. There actually isn't a difference of opinion...at least, not among those who have read it.

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them".

Quran (47:3-4) - "Those who disbelieve follow falsehood, while those who believe follow the truth from their Lord... So, when you meet (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly (on them, i.e. take them as captives)... If it had been Allah's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight), in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allah, He will never let their deeds be lost."

Clear enough now?
No! You really need to read my posts! We are discussing the message 'God wants Muslims killed', as understood by Crusaders, Grand Inquisitors etc. Those quotes from the Koran are not telling Muslims that God wants them to kill other Muslims! I know you have a thing about Muslims, but it is completely off the point. And regarding the Koran, it is a fact that Muslims do not interpret these passages as you do. I have passed many Muslims today and not one has cut my head off. So, once again, we have a difference of opinion, between you and those Muslims. You need to show how you can claim to know Allah's Will better than them.
Me:...the OT has many instances of God telling the Israelites to attack and expel (or exterminate) the followers of other religions.

Indeed it does. You should take that up with the Israelites, I would think. Christians, by definition, center their doctrine and interpretation on the life and Person of Christ, and hence understand the Old Testament through the New. This is a key distinction between Jewish and Christian interpretation, of course. Here we get into particulars of exegesis...which we can do, but maybe it's not all that interesting to you.
What is interesting to me is that you do not seem capable of taking in the fact that other people disagree with you!

The issue is how you know your opinions are right and theirs are wrong. But rather than address this you just give your opinion again!
Me: Exactly. Your claim rests on you knowing more about God than other people. How do you know that is the case?

This is where we get into two key questions:

1. Has God spoken? and

2. Where/How has God spoken?
I would have thought the key question would be 'How do you know it is God speaking?' Because many people have claimed to have heard God speaking but saying incompatible things. So some (or all) of them must be mistaken. Which means we might be too.
You're quite right to say that if the answer to 1) is "No," then we're all shooting in the dark, and all is equal. But if it's NOT true, then things are quite different: we go on to question 2). The answer to that, we can only find by looking. We can read the Bible (or the Koran, if you will, or the Tao, or the Gita, or whatever). We can see which Scripture is wisest, makes most sense of our most powerful moral intuitions, is most rational and consistent, and so on. Moreover, we can see if we find God speaking to us personally through that Scripture. And if we do, then we know something; and if we do not, we are still in the dark about the whole question. We keep looking and thinking. Or we give up, pretend the question no longer matters, and declare unilaterally for agnosticism.
(my emphasis)

If the scripture 'makes sense of our moral intuitions', then we are picking as 'true' the scripture that most reflects what we bring to it. So, for example, if our moral intuitions were inclined to selfishness, we would see as 'wise' a scripture that makes sense of selfishness. If we like rules we will see 'truth' in a scripture with lots of rules. And so on.

And that is before we do the selective reading; humans are good at making things mean what they want them to mean. You select odd bits of the Koran to make your point, just as we can select verses from the Bible to justify war, the subordination of women, slavery, repression of gays...while others look in the same scripture and find the opposite!

That the scripture 'speaks personally' to us is to say that its appeal is subjective. There is nothing wrong with that, but a subjective preference it is not enough to show that we are correct in our opinions - and that others are wrong.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Rhodnar wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm And yet you cannot define or justify the concept in which you need us to agree with you in order to make your case: "truly just." You have no idea what "truly just" would mean, or how you would know whether or not something was "truly just."
I would have to agree with you there. Given that I am not omniscient, something that may appear to me to be unjust, may in fact be the most 'just' possible solution.
Well, that's a terminal problem for your "disproof," then. If you can't tell what "truly just" actually is, then there's nothing to which you can hold God accountable.
As to your comment that I have no idea what being truly just is, I am truly just, so I do.

Very rough description of 'truly just':

Universal unconditional love. - No need for forgiveness or judgmentalism.
Always doing the most right thing, because it is the most right thing to do.
Well thank you for trying; but really, you haven't helped your case here. Now we have to ask, what is "the most right thing"? What is "the right thing to do"? Now you have a different undefined term for the previous undefined term.

You just multiply the problem when you bring in the words "unconditional" and "judgmentalism." For "unconditional," do you mean that the Supreme Being should excuse the Hitlers, Stalins and Maos, or people who neither recognize or acknowledge the evil that they have done, and do so without "conditions"? Could a "loving" creator do nothing about a Ghengis Khan or an Emperor Nero? For an awful lot of people, that hardly suggests "justice."

And as for "judgmentalism," to judge rightly and justly surely is not evil. In fact, there are cases, like those I suggested above, where failure to judge would surely open the Supreme Being to a charge of injustice. How could God be "truly just" if He allowed evil, even for a temporary purpose, and did not eventually judge it?
To interfere or intervene would be unjust, because it would remove freewill.
But now you're using the free will concept, which is essential to the defense of divine justice because it logically entails that there must be some evil and injustice allowed, at least for some time, in the world. :shock: See Plantinga (who, by the way, apparently, according to PN, just won the Templeton Prize).

Basically, you're undermining your own whole case.
I would speculate that the world needs to be just as it is. That is to say, “imperfect”, in order for us to be able to become 'truly just'.
Now you've just made Leibniz's case for him. You're essentially arguing that we are in "the best of all possible worlds," i.e. the world in which the balance of good and evil is "just as it is." :shock:
Could I know justness without witnessing/experiencing injustice? Could I want to heal the sick without sickness? Could I love unconditionally without flaws? I don't know, but I would speculate that the world in which we live is “perfectly” “imperfect”.
You're supporting Leibniz again here. And yet earlier, you dismissed him -- though now you're showing you didn't even know that he said, essentially, the thing that you say you believe here.

How did you get so confident as to float a claim of "100% proof" if this is all you really came with?
I'd have to say that the rightness or necessity of justice is determined by the society in which we live.
Wow. Now you've excused God completely. For if "rightness" or "justice" are mere social conventions, not objective realities, then it must surely occur to you that God is not rationally or morally bound by our contingent social laws, or to purely local conceptions of "true justness."

He isn't, by definition, a "member" of our particular society, anymore than he's a member of Yoruban or Shinto or Zoroastrian societies, all of which have different moralities from ours. :shock:

Your proof is coming apart in your own hands.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Londoner wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm That may be the case, but if we cannot know that truth - then we cannot know it.
Ah, I see now. You've confused ontology for epistemology. They're two separate questions.
Ontology addresses the question, "What exists?" and epistemology addresses the question, "How do we know what exists?"

Obviously, if ontology is not addressed first, epistemology is moot -- you can't be said to "know" what does not exist. But the opposite is not true -- and that's the mistake you're making. If some people don't know something, it does not imply that that thing does not exist. :shock: I don't know Venezuela, personally. But I'm told it exists, despite my lack of knowledge. If it does not, my belief in it will not make Venezuela start to exist; and if it does, my disbelief will not make it not exist anymore.
If that is incorrect, if you believe you do have empirical evidence of the existence (or not) of God, what is it? (I do not see that is possible to have empirical evidence of something that is outside the empirical universe.)
As I suggested in my last message, Divine Revelation would provide the empirical evidence. The question of who believes or disbelieves in that evidence would have no impact on whether or not God exists, or whether or not the revelation in question were true and adequate.

Nobody wrote down anywhere that all people must believe a thing before it can be true.
Those quotes from the Koran are not telling Muslims that God wants them to kill other Muslims!
Actually, the vast majority of Muslims worldwide think that is exactly what the Koran is saying. While you may be familiar with Muslim-on-Secularist murders in the West, you seem less acquainted with the fact that the majority of Muslim murders are actually Muslim-on-Muslim! In fact, the ten countries with the most Muslim terrorist attacks are all Islamic countries already!

The latest massacre, to my knowledge, was in Persia -- Sunnis killing the Shiites...both Muslims.
And regarding the Koran, it is a fact that Muslims do not interpret these passages as you do.
Sure they do. You're just thinking of select, modernized, Westernized Muslims, which comprise the vast minority. Nobody's really sure what they think, but they seem to be killing other people at a lower rate, for the most part, than Muslims in Muslim lands.
I have passed many Muslims today and not one has cut my head off.
See above.
So, once again, we have a difference of opinion, between you and those Muslims. You need to show how you can claim to know Allah's Will better than them.
See above.
What is interesting to me is that you do not seem capable of taking in the fact that other people disagree with you!
I know other people disagree. It doesn't mean they're right. In fact, whenever two people disagree, both may be wrong, or one may be wrong and the other right: but what Aristotle's Law teaches us definitively is that they both cannot be right. So it's not even imperious to call another person potentially wrong; it's just basic logic.
If the scripture 'makes sense of our moral intuitions', then we are picking as 'true' the scripture that most reflects what we bring to it. So, for example, if our moral intuitions were inclined to selfishness, we would see as 'wise' a scripture that makes sense of selfishness. If we like rules we will see 'truth' in a scripture with lots of rules. And so on.
That's why I gave you several indicators, not simply "moral intuitions." Moral intuitions can be wrong. On the other hand, sometimes they're telling you something.

Meanwhile, logic also counts. Evidence counts. History counts. Prediction counts. Textual integrity counts. And personal experience counts...though not usually for others, it can be terribly compelling to the one experiencing it. Bring a bunch of these indicators together, and one's case starts to get strong.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:13 pm If some people don't know something, it does not imply that that thing does not exist. :shock:
If some people don't know something, it is a fact they don't know something!

If those people are asked 'What is the case?' the true answer is 'I don't know'.

Not 'Since nobody knows, I am free to pretend that I do'.
As I suggested in my last message, Divine Revelation would provide the empirical evidence. The question of who believes or disbelieves in that evidence would have no impact on whether or not God exists, or whether or not the revelation in question were true and adequate.
You cannot know whether Divine Revelation is Divine Revelation, or whether you understand it.
Actually, the vast majority of Muslims worldwide think that is exactly what the Koran is saying.
But that wouldn't matter. You write 'the question of who believes or disbelieves' has no impact, so how the vast majority (or all) the Muslims of the world think would have no relevance to the correct interpretation of the Koran. You cannot have it both ways. When I point out the way that others interpret scripture is differently to you, you say that doesn't matter. In that case, the same must apply to the Koran. It may still be 'Divine Revelation' even if nobody (except me) reads it correctly.
I know other people disagree. It doesn't mean they're right. In fact, whenever two people disagree, both may be wrong, or one may be wrong and the other right: but what Aristotle's Law teaches us definitively is that they both cannot be right. So it's not even imperious to call another person potentially wrong; it's just basic logic.
So might you be potentially wrong?
That's why I gave you several indicators, not simply "moral intuitions." Moral intuitions can be wrong. On the other hand, sometimes they're telling you something.
But how do we know which moral intuitions are telling us something, and which are not? We would need a higher frame of reference. It cannot be scripture, since we validate scripture because it 'makes sense of our moral intuitions'. So, if moral intuitions validate the truth of scripture, but not all moral intuitions are right, where do we go to check those moral intuitions?

It would have to be at that meta-level that your claim to correctly understand religion rests. And as I wrote before, I think that must be a belief in Divine Revelation. This seems to be characterised as an experience that is subjective (personal) but has the feeling of being empirical, that is to say it forces itself upon the subject. I think you hint at this in your final paragraph:
Meanwhile, logic also counts. Evidence counts. History counts. Prediction counts. Textual integrity counts. And personal experience counts...though not usually for others, it can be terribly compelling to the one experiencing it. Bring a bunch of these indicators together, and one's case starts to get strong.
As I have written before, I do not have any objection to such accounts as such. But what I find odd is the combination of personal revelation with hostility to the idea that others might have had the same experience, just because it differs in character from one's own. It isn't as if you were Moses, given tablets of stone by God. You are clear that the interpretation of scripture is something you do. So isn't there room for some humility? The notion that no theist can understand God completely? So shouldn't you be open to the possibility that although a Muslim or a Hindu's understanding seems defective in some ways, there might also be areas where they see see more clearly than you?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Londoner wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 amIf some people don't know something, it is a fact they don't know something!

If those people are asked 'What is the case?' the true answer is 'I don't know'.

Not 'Since nobody knows, I am free to pretend that I do'.
The phrase "nobody knows X" needs justification. We don't know what other people do or do not know, unless for some reason we have evidence that a) what they claim to know is actually wrong, or b) that, as in the case of the size of the cosmos, it is inherently impossible to know X: but such cases are very rare.

Meanwhile, we all "know" things all the time. So there's nothing irregular about a claim that "I know X," if X is not already known to be wrong or inherently impossible to know.

Finally, "I'm free to pretend...", as you characterize it, is slanted language. It already assumes that the person in question does not, in fact, know. But what if he does? :shock:
You cannot know whether Divine Revelation is Divine Revelation, or whether you understand it.
It depends on what we mean by "know." We "know" stuff all the time. But you're onto one thing: if we were left to guess what was or was not Divine Revelation, then yes, we would not be certain. But in the scenario you describe, you've already granted (for argument's sake only, of course) that a Supreme Being would have to exist for that to happen; but IF a Supreme Being exists, why would we imagine it would even be a problem for Him to make known His will to particular persons? After all, He would be "supreme." :shock: Moreover, you and I express our intentions to others every day -- and nobody has a difficulty accepting that "Londoner said X." So now, what reason would we have for thinking that the Supreme Being would have any trouble doing a thing that is so simple to do that you and I do it all the time?

Your objection in this case is feather-light, therefore. A Supreme Being can reveal Himself if He wishes...assuming He exists, of course.
Actually, the vast majority of Muslims worldwide think that is exactly what the Koran is saying.
But that wouldn't matter. You write 'the question of who believes or disbelieves' has no impact, so how the vast majority (or all) the Muslims of the world think would have no relevance to the correct interpretation of the Koran. You cannot have it both ways.
I'm not. I was simply responding to YOUR claim that Muslims don't read the Koran in a homicidal way, showing that it was untrue, despite your having walked by a few who didn't slit your throat today. It was you who made the claim about what Muslims believe.
It may still be 'Divine Revelation' even if nobody (except me) reads it correctly.
Theoretically, that could be possible. The more important question, though, is "Is it?"
So might you be potentially wrong?
All human knowing is probabilistic. All of it has a chance of being mistaken. But some of it is so probable that a reasonable person acts upon it anyway. It is not certain that you are speaking to me right now. But I'm willing to believe it. It's low-percentage, I'll admit; but it's enough. Other things are much more certain: we don't leap off high places flapping our arms, even though there is a very slim chance we'll be the first men to fly by this method. The chances against it are so astronomical that you and I don't doubt for a second that that would be a dumb idea. Still, we don't know unless we've tried...

So probability is always in play when we use the word "know." We humans don't have 100% certainty of anything. And yet we know stuff all the time.
But how do we know which moral intuitions are telling us something, and which are not? We would need a higher frame of reference. It cannot be scripture, since we validate scripture because it 'makes sense of our moral intuitions'. So, if moral intuitions validate the truth of scripture, but not all moral intuitions are right, where do we go to check those moral intuitions?
Against the revealed will and character of God. Remember that IF God exists, it's a small thing for Him to reveal something to us. And though our human knowing is only probabilistic, we have good reason to believe our knowing if the confirmations are multitudinous or profound enough.
It would have to be at that meta-level that your claim to correctly understand religion rests. And as I wrote before, I think that must be a belief in Divine Revelation. This seems to be characterised as an experience that is subjective (personal) but has the feeling of being empirical, that is to say it forces itself upon the subject. I think you hint at this in your final paragraph:
I would suggest that knowing is often a combination of these factors, not merely one OR the other. You don't know that your high school science teacher didn't lie to you about the scientific method. But you add stuff up: she was a very nice person, she used an edited textbook, the school board did not fire her, your university studies said some of the same things...and so on...and at some point, you decided your science teacher was reliable. But it wasn't just her white lab coat that convinced you, nor was it that she had the name "teacher." Those were, if anything, minor considerations in your judgment. But they all came together to create a solidity to your conviction. And you were probably right.
As I have written before, I do not have any objection to such accounts as such. But what I find odd is the combination of personal revelation with hostility to the idea that others might have had the same experience, just because it differs in character from one's own.
Two caveats: nobody ever said that ALL of another person's views had to be wrong in order to say that SOME of their views were wrong...so the idea that an Islamic person could know nothing is simply ad hominem. But falsehoods are always a mix of truth and fiction: were they 100% fictions, nobody would believe them at all. Still this means that a person could be right about X, but not about Y. And I would say this is true of Islam.

Secondly, if one person's view contradicts another's directly, then Aristotle told us what logically we needed to know. Both parties could be wrong. One party could be wrong, and the other right. But one thing, Aristotle showed, was impossible: it would be utterly, rationally impossible for mutually-contradicting views to both be right.

So when I say "I think Islam's (partially) wrong," I'm not saying Islam is without any referents to truth. I'm saying that when it goes against what is true, then on that matter it is wrong. For example, its view of the legitimacy of beating women is wrong. So is its predilection for killing infidels and subjugating nations. Terrorism is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Female circumcision is wrong. The Burqa is wrong. Recruiting child soldiers is wrong. Throwing people off buildings, burning them to death or slitting throats on the beach is wrong.

And about a lot of these things, I'll bet you and I agree.
... isn't there room for some humility?

I hope so. But I also hope there's room for listening to God when He does speak.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pmNo, they didn't BURN. That is the point i am making, what we see and seems obvious to us, is not the truth to this reality.
I'm sure you are aware that Grenfell Tower caused the deaths of scores, possibly hundreds of people. How should we respond to the loss, and the fact that many other tower blocks pose a similar risk?
And how should i reflect in the knowledge that we are in some sort of 'God' system? No matter what this entity has done to me over the past 20yrs, and now stating to me daily that i am in fact - 'in heaven' - i earned it. And even tho i have hated this entity more than anyone could hate anything - i now love the fact that i know. I am in heaven. It does exist on Earth - you don't die to entertain it. Unfortunately - i have to comprehend that many relatives of those of the Grenfell tower are mourning - but it is nothing compared to what Christ suffered, nothing compared to what i suffered, and nothing compared to what would have been - had they burned to death - which they didn't... <-- and that there, is the comprehension of the sages.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Enough 100 proof will allow you to prove that anything does or does not exist.
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pmAnd how should i reflect in the knowledge that we are in some sort of 'God' system? No matter what this entity has done to me over the past 20yrs, and now stating to me daily that i am in fact - 'in heaven' - i earned it. And even tho i have hated this entity more than anyone could hate anything - i now love the fact that i know. I am in heaven. It does exist on Earth - you don't die to entertain it.
Well, lucky old you. So where on this terrestrial heaven are the souls of the charred cadavers?
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pmUnfortunately - i have to comprehend that many relatives of those of the Grenfell tower are mourning - but it is nothing compared to what Christ suffered, nothing compared to what i suffered, and nothing compared to what would have been - had they burned to death - which they didn't...
I rather think they did. One of the most disturbing things about christianity, is that it is, in essence, a torture cult. To people who don't believe it, the idea that a god will condemn his own son, or himself depending on your view of the trinity, to an experience that is immeasurably worse than burning to death with your children, is baffling. That believers maintain that such a god is 'good', is incomprehensible.
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pm<-- and that there, is the comprehension of the sages.
They can keep it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pmAnd how should i reflect in the knowledge that we are in some sort of 'God' system? No matter what this entity has done to me over the past 20yrs, and now stating to me daily that i am in fact - 'in heaven' - i earned it. And even tho i have hated this entity more than anyone could hate anything - i now love the fact that i know. I am in heaven. It does exist on Earth - you don't die to entertain it.
Well, lucky old you. So where on this terrestrial heaven are the souls of the charred cadavers?
Ready to repopulate the planet.
uwot wrote:
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pmUnfortunately - i have to comprehend that many relatives of those of the Grenfell tower are mourning - but it is nothing compared to what Christ suffered, nothing compared to what i suffered, and nothing compared to what would have been - had they burned to death - which they didn't...
I rather think they did. One of the most disturbing things about christianity, is that it is, in essence, a torture cult. To people who don't believe it, the idea that a god will condemn his own son, or himself depending on your view of the trinity, to an experience that is immeasurably worse than burning to death with your children, is baffling. That believers maintain that such a god is 'good', is incomprehensible.
Sure - be naive and short sighted enough to be REQUIRED to believe in ALL of the buy bull.

You still are not grasping it. Let me give you two scenarios:-
1. There is NO God and people actually burned to death, screaming in agony with their children.
2. There is God, and people's souls were taken prior to the furnace that a cheap arse council left them to.

Which scenario would YOU prefer uwot?

The only disturbing thing about Christianity is that people don't understand - Christians included - IT.
uwot wrote:
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:06 pm<-- and that there, is the comprehension of the sages.
They can keep it.
I'm sure if you were in my shoes you would want it.
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:33 pmSure - be naive and short sighted enough to be REQUIRED to believe in ALL of the buy bull.
As it happens, I'm naive and short sighted enough to believe none of it.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:33 pmYou still are not grasping it. Let me give you two scenarios:-
1. There is NO God and people actually burned to death, screaming in agony with their children.
2. There is God, and people's souls were taken prior to the furnace that a cheap arse council left them to.

Which scenario would YOU prefer uwot?
Oh I see; I have only to wish that something were true and, hey presto, it is.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pmIn logic, we would say that your syllogism depends on a vacuous middle term. And that means it cannot be verified at all. :shock:
Which, if you do the maths, works out at one third as vacuous as your arguments.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

It would be nice if anti-theists knew what they were talking about. Saying "There is proof that God does not exist" is like saying "There is proof existence does not exist."