My way out of Islam

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Khalid

My way out of Islam

Post by Khalid »

Hello everyone!
I was active here maybe over 4 years ago as a regular Muslim defending his religion , defending the ideas related to religion and God .

I never expected to give up my belief someday , or to become non-religious. Because religion is based on fear and islam in particular is well-known regarding that . Although I can not deny how this forum did benefit and encourage me to think out of the box or atleast to have some criticizing spirite, especially that I was trying to preach for islam here :D .

I started to read the Qur'an with different approach, focus on the details and be more criticizing to everything. I started to watch videos and listen to persons from the opposit side.

Why is religion full of mystification and complications?
Why men are promised to have virgins in the afterlife paradise?
Why mohammad married over 10 women?
Why is islam intolerant against others?
Why should anyone deserve an eternal punishment and pain for deeds he made within very limited time he spent on earth?
Why others will go to fire and only geographically lucky Muslims will go to paradise?
Endless questions you easily find whenever you get enough courage to think out of the box and use your mind!

I don't know why I started this thread , I'm just sharing my story which might be very similar to many others who went through same experience.

Anyway peace and love to everyone. :)
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: My way out of Islam

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I remember you. So you have seen the light. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I remember you. So you have seen the light. :)
I think it's always a cause of celebration when someone attains the wisdom to have faith in nothing. I can only hope he will go and spread the word among his former cohort, unless he lives somewhere where you get stoned to death for that sort of thing.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I remember you. So you have seen the light. :)
I think it's always a cause of celebration when someone attains the wisdom to have faith in nothing. I can only hope he will go and spread the word among his former cohort, unless he lives somewhere where you get stoned to death for that sort of thing.
I'm guessing he's Egyptian, hence the camel.
Khalid

Post by Khalid »

I wish to express my opinions and thoughts loudly without fear but I can not . Yes I'm Egyptian and currently working in a gulf country for a living, I can not share my ideas here . I would probably lose my job and residence here . They gave me a verbal warning because of some posts on Facebook before.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Khalid wrote: Why is religion full of mystification and complications?
Why men are promised to have virgins in the afterlife paradise?
Why mohammad married over 10 women?
Why is islam intolerant against others?
Why should anyone deserve an eternal punishment and pain for deeds he made within very limited time he spent on earth?
Why others will go to fire and only geographically lucky Muslims will go to paradise?
Endless questions you easily find whenever you get enough courage to think out of the box and use your mind!
Are you sure you were a Muslim? You say you were previously active on these boards defending Islam and ideas related to religion and God. Did such questions never come up?

I do not think just asking endless questions is a sign you are using your mind. If previously you were committed to Islam, and yet these simple matters did not occur to you, what makes you think your new opinions are any more thought-through?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Londoner wrote: Are you sure you were a Muslim?
It's hard to imagine how someone could make a mistake about something like that.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Harbal wrote:
Londoner wrote: Are you sure you were a Muslim?
It's hard to imagine how someone could make a mistake about something like that.
It is polite way of questioning either their veracity or their mental capacity.
Khalid

Post by Khalid »

Londoner wrote:Are you sure you were a Muslim?....Did such questions never come up?....

They always come up into my mind , but consider being taught and brain washed by Islam since birth!
even if you encounter questions or doubts, your mind refuses to get free of the dogma, the fear of getting free and getting out the box no matter how many questions I had.

I remember the day that I reached the edge of faith , I mean the day that I considered myself a non-believer anymore , I was walking in the street thinking as usual, full of doubts and questions. Then something inside me kept repeating, I'm not afraid anymore, I'm going to follow the truth and my sense no matter what the truth is. I'm not afraid of hell , fire or punishment. I'm going to follow my mind.

Getting out a religion especially one based on fear is not easy my friend, it requires a lot of courage.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

They always come up into my mind , but consider being taught and brain washed by Islam since birth!
even if you encounter questions or doubts, your mind refuses to get free of the dogma, the fear of getting free and getting out the box no matter how many questions I had.
Then I would say you were never a Muslim. If somebody was brainwashed, such that they were literally unable to think about why they are a Muslim, then they would not be a Muslim.
I remember the day that I reached the edge of faith , I mean the day that I considered myself a non-believer anymore , I was walking in the street thinking as usual, full of doubts and questions. Then something inside me kept repeating, I'm not afraid anymore, I'm going to follow the truth and my sense no matter what the truth is. I'm not afraid of hell , fire or punishment. I'm going to follow my mind.
But it isn't as if the questions you list have never come up before. Why not start by looking at what other Muslims have written on those subjects? There is no end of discussion to look at, particularly since many of the questions also apply to Christianity and Judaism and religion generally. Nor would abandoning religion altogether mean you can avoid facing difficult questions.

You say you will 'follow your mind', but what on earth does that mean? You say 'I'm going to follow the truth' as if 'the truth' was some alternative religion to Islam. These are just empty phrases, like something out of a TV commercial.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Khalid wrote:I never expected to give up my belief someday , or to become non-religious. Because religion is based on fear and islam in particular is well-known regarding that .
Yesyes, but let me drive you right back to religion!

Scroll down and read the last 8 popes, it's admissible as proof of God as the popes are spot on!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

If you read the bible, the last chapter about Book of Revelation, then you'll see that there will be no temple in New Jerusalem, suggesting that there will be no more religion, as humanity simply are too stupid for religion, it will be abused and misunderstood.

Jesus will return and make things right!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

HexHammer wrote: Jesus will return and make things right!
He's going to need a new set of disciples when he gets here, are you interested in being one, Hex?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Harbal wrote:
HexHammer wrote: Jesus will return and make things right!
He's going to need a new set of disciples when he gets here, are you interested in being one, Hex?
I AM the one!

There's parallel prophecies about the end times, the hindus tells about Kalki the 10th avatar of Lord Vishnu the Preserver (Buddha was the 9th avatar)
- he will be born or brought up on an island (I was brought up on an island Sealand, Denmark)
- he is good with a sword (I shot silver with iron sights and top on that my sights wasn't calibrated, it was off about 60 cm down 4:30)
- he will have rich parents (my parents used to be filthy rich before the financial crisis, but still are very rich)
- he lives in a cave (I live in a fucking dump, nothing really works, my houses is cursed)
- he will be taught by <insert weirdass name I can't remember> the Eternal (I have been taught by TV and internet, I don't have any formal education, but still manage to be superior analyst and do my own lawsuits)
- he comes from a town that sounds like mud (comes from Karlebo = Serfs Home)
- he will have signs of holy symbols on his feets (uhmmm ..no)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

HexHammer wrote: - he lives in a cave (I live in a fucking dump, nothing really works, my houses is cursed)
But it's not actually a cave?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Khalid wrote:
Londoner wrote:Are you sure you were a Muslim?....Did such questions never come up?....

Getting out a religion especially one based on fear is not easy my friend, it requires a lot of courage.
I'm on your side.

Put it this way: if there's a God, would He not have to be on the side of truth? Why should He fear -- why should our questions make Him tremble --if on His side is the ultimate answer, the truth? Why would a God of truth not want us to pursue our understanding and press it as far as we can into the truth? Will He be honoured if we stop seeking truth, and bow to what we cannot really believe, in order to avoid "leaving" Him? But if we seek the truth, surely we will only get closer to Him, if He is the God of truth, no?

This does not mean our first doubts will never be wrong. It also does not suggest that our first belief, or what others have told us, will be the truth. But it means that to love God is to love Him with all one's mind...to seek the truth, and in seeking to seek Him, the God of truth.

God is not afraid of our questions. He knows our doubts...they do not harm Him. If He wishes to be known, then the God of truth can reveal Himself...but He will do so in truth, not in falsehood.

So seek the truth. When you do, you show your vote of confidence that if there is a God, He is truthful. That is an act of faith in His character, not an act of unbelief.

Did not He say, "I am the Truth"? (John 14:6)