I know God - im sure you have questions.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: I know God - im sure you have questions.

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote:The nature of god is usually connoted in such abstract terms that whatever pronoun is used it merely operates as signifier where in context, he or she no-longer denotes male or female but simply an entity anthropomorphized for lack of a more abstract pronoun. I don't know! Maybe Sanskrit has one!
Greta wrote:That's true for some people, Dubs, but as you know there's plenty who really do think of God as a big magic man. Oodles of them.
...not among more advanced civilizations on the planet. Rituals may persist as formality and also because people desire ritual as comfort though no-longer giving credence to it's underpinnings. For example, if I lived in one of those Austrian, Czech or German towns with their incredible Baroque churches singing a Haydn or Schubert mass each Sunday I'd be there every time for the full event.
Greta wrote:Many more believe in an inherently male creative spirit. Why would it be male?
...because both Islam and Christianity are based on Judaic scripture which combined account for the majority of followers who profess to believe in a single god. Why male only? Because Jehovah, the epicenter of monotheism, was a warrior god forging the Jews into a nation. A female one would not have sufficed. What was needed was a god ready to exterminate and punish, the Pentateuch being the ancient Jewish version of Mein Kampf. A "command" authority was required to create a nation amidst disparity and the threat of surrounding super-powers. The OT amounts to a saga, a narrative to forge a nation by the command of a masculine god.
Greta wrote:What of the female - unless creation itself is female in which case God is giving us jiggy jiggy (which may explain a few things, admittedly). So gendering God makes no sense and only serves to reinforce the delusions of the naive.
...as you say it "only serves to reinforce the delusions of the naive"! The naive require their own enlightenment; until then whatever they think or say is not to be acknowledged based on so much that's already understood...meaning, what do you care what idiots think who can't manage to make themselves contemporary?

Why did Joseph Campbell for instance, have a much higher regard for mythology than religion? It was to incorporate the animate, the inanimate, the male & female, etc., within all the perspectives of existence as imagined then; at its core there was always a centralized power exempt of gender that could resolve itself any time and for any reason into a trinity or multiplicity of powers, beings or objects.

In short, we're only short of a genderless abstract pronoun which correctly refers to a genderless entity. But who knows if this universe or any other isn't "cooked up" based on the menu of a species that knows how to create one and to whom male & female, though understood, may be only one of many dichotomies.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote:... there's plenty who really do think of God as a big magic man. Oodles of them.
...not among more advanced civilizations on the planet.
Are you excluding the Anglosphere from that group?
Dubious wrote:...as you say it "only serves to reinforce the delusions of the naive"! The naive require their own enlightenment; until then whatever they think or say is not to be acknowledged based on so much that's already understood...meaning, what do you care what idiots think who can't manage to make themselves contemporary?
I care about them being highly influential at the top levels of government in the US, Australia and other nations. I figure it will all eventually turn out in the washup, but I think we'd be better off leaders who are fairly in touch with reality.
Dubious wrote: ...who knows if this universe or any other isn't "cooked up" based on the menu of a species that knows how to create one and to whom male & female, though understood, may be only one of many dichotomies.
Haha ... or ... maybe the Earth is an egg that was fertilised by Theia four billion years ago? Or, maybe like hermaphrodite species where gender is only determined by the nature of an interaction with another - in some snails the "male" is the first one to succeed in stabbing another with their equipment (with the "female" obviously being the stabbed) during a grappling session.

If evolution results in humans becoming ever more synthetic, more "wired into the system" then once the novelty wore off with whatever cybernetic sexual and gender-based variations are dreamed up by programmers, gender and sex would probably gradually become vestigial features.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote:
Dubious wrote:...as you say it "only serves to reinforce the delusions of the naive"! The naive require their own enlightenment; until then whatever they think or say is not to be acknowledged based on so much that's already understood...meaning, what do you care what idiots think who can't manage to make themselves contemporary?
I care about them being highly influential at the top levels of government in the US, Australia and other nations. I figure it will all eventually turn out in the washup, but I think we'd be better off leaders who are fairly in touch with reality.
So you believe we are better off with leaders that comprehend there being a God? What do you know about the true nature of REALITY?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greta wrote: I care about them being highly influential at the top levels of government in the US, Australia and other nations.
Citizens are no-longer forced to believe what their leaders think; governments in the Western hemisphere operate on a secular basis and inquisitions have long been dismembered. Even in Australia I'd expect Church and State to be separate entities. So if Malcolm Turnbull wants to publically pray in church and you don't, it's unlikely you'll be put in the stocks because of it.

Also, the idea of a super advanced civilization that decided early on not to exterminate itself but to keep on discovering knowing in detail how a universe comes to be is not any more ridiculous then thinking there's some God out there who must have done it.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote:
Greta wrote:
I care about them being highly influential at the top levels of government in the US, Australia and other nations. I figure it will all eventually turn out in the washup, but I think we'd be better off with leaders who are fairly in touch with reality.
So you believe we are better off with leaders that comprehend there being a God? What do you know about the true nature of REALITY?
Since I was working with the "big man in the sky" definition of God then anyone who believes in this mythical deity are not in touch with reality, and I can say that with as much confidence as if I was denying the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you are referring to God as some kind of all pervasive spirit or consciousness or goodness, or one of those more abstracted definitions, then you have changed the subject.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote:So if Malcolm Turnbull wants to publically pray in church and you don't, it's unlikely you'll be put in the stocks because of it.
It's not the Turnbull camp but the Abbott camp.
Dubious wrote:Also, the idea of a super advanced civilization that decided early on not to exterminate itself but to keep on discovering knowing in detail how a universe comes to be is not any more ridiculous then thinking there's some God out there who must have done it.
Your comment "that decided early on not to exterminate itself" is a weak misrepresentation of my earlier comments.

If you want to believe that a big man in the sky is just as likely as evolution, be my guest.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote:Also, the idea of a super advanced civilization that decided early on not to exterminate itself but to keep on discovering knowing in detail how a universe comes to be is not any more ridiculous then thinking there's some God out there who must have done it.
Greta wrote:Your comment "that decided early on not to exterminate itself" is a weak misrepresentation of my earlier comments.
I really don't know how that statement misrepresented any of your comments. It merely states that if a civilization realizes the dangers that could annihilate it that alone may empower it to continue long enough to resolve exactly how the universe came to be, what makes it tick. That was all I meant to imply!
Greta wrote:If you want to believe that a big man in the sky is just as likely as evolution, be my guest.
After everything I wrote on this site you think that's what I believe! This interchange is reminding me of the kind I have with IC. One's enough. No worries! You'll be happy to know I won't be responding to any of your posts again.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote:This interchange is reminding me of the kind I have with IC. One's enough. No worries! You'll be happy to know I won't be responding to any of your posts again.
Gosh, I didn't see that one coming.

For the record, your explanation of the comment you made earlier about advanced civilisations being no less ridiculous than creationism bore no resemblance to that comment. I can't see how anyone could have gotten that implication from that comment of yours.

I thought the original comment was out of character and probably should have checked with you in hindsight. Still, people sometimes change their minds about existential matters, and it's not as though we know each other at all. Most people would just reply, "no, don't be silly" in your situation rather than flounce off in a huff. Talk about taking yourself seriously.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote:Atto, could you ask God how it is that he is male and not a neuter? A gendered God makes no sense at all to me but everyone seems most insistent that God is a man. Yet, if God is male where is the female (or other male) that he fucks with his divine phallus? Are offspring expected? How would that work? Or could it be that God is a virgin or socially inept or too immature to find sexual partners? If so, does God masturbate and if he does, does that effect our reality?
Its a good question and one that a ponder over occasionally. I will ask it over the next few weeks, but it does limit its communication with me - seems it doesnt feel it is answerable to me most of the time.

Since coming to the realisation that there is a God\'God' of some sort through 20yrs of interaction, i have made two opposing conclusions that I feel the most likely nature of its existence.
1. It is 'divine' formed its own intelligence from the chaos of the early universe and formed reality within which humans and other life can exist, and yes, evolve.
2. It is man or other intelligent species made, something sentient beings have evolved within to deal with the progression of entropy where immortality had already been attained. Wo\man returned to being 'mortal' to reincarnate based on judgment of their previous life. In this instance God could be considered akin to A.I.

I am torn between both considerations. What God - or a sage communicating from the aether have advised me regarding Christ swings me back to point 1. So then, in answer to your gender query regarding God. Point 1 could certainly permit this God entity forming itself as a man - perhaps Christ himself was the personification of God.

But no, i dont think God was a man floating in space with magic powers that created everything - and i would be surprised if Western (but non US) politicians believed this.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote:I will ask it over the next few weeks, but it does limit its communication with me...
Why would any of us think that the "answers" you provide are anything more than blabberings from your own engorged mind?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:36 pm
attofishpi wrote:I will ask it over the next few weeks, but it does limit its communication with me...
Why would any of us think that the "answers" you provide are anything more than blabberings from your own engorged mind?
I don't. Oh no, you're back. Couldn't you at least change your avatar?
osgart

Post by osgart »

is there a lengthy dictionary for the word God, if so where do I find one.
?
there's just too many definitions of God out there.

also how can a divine being exist in a reality of desperate survival?

an intelligent creator of this reality would have to be very primitive to make things the way they are.

so a crude creator or creators that live vastly different than us would have to be the only real consideration.
concept
I'm only convinced that God is a dead concept in a brute indifferent universe.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

osgart wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:29 pman intelligent creator of this reality would have to be very primitive to make things the way they are.
So comprehend entropy.

Y_PORT_NE - why port any - souls - for reincarnation.

www.androcies.com
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 pm
Y_PORT_NE - why port any - souls -
Are the voices getting worse, Fishy?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:57 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 pm
Y_PORT_NE - why port any - souls -
Are the voices getting worse, Fishy?
No, its ok, the sage doesn't yet sound like a Yorkshireman. (of course)